OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:39 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

When the dust settles, the trade looks to be fairly even in value. Canes probably get the edge today though.

Ferland is okay -- very hot/cold. His totals were inflated playing on the first line. Adam Fox probably wasn't going to sign with the Flames anyways because of all their D-men in the pipeline and on the roster.
Hanifin matched Hamilton's numbers at age 21 seasons, so he could be as good or better. Flames got younger and skilled up front as well with Lindholm.

Funny how the Flames are acquiring all the 2013 first rounders. Recall there being a split among Flames fans about who wanted Monahan or Lindholm. Now they have both.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:13 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Hurricanes get the best player easily, and I actually like Ferland as a grinder-type who can put up 20 goals with the right kind of people.

Lindholm should help the secondary scoring issues the Flames have, and I like Hanifin even though his offensive skill is limited.

So now we're getting some idea about why some people don't like Dougie...he apparently opted to go to the museum one time instead of Moxies with the boys. :lol: I'm sorry, wouldn't you rather your players go to the museum?

I think the trade is an okay one for both sides but I think the reasons that prompted it are kinda stupid, at least from Calgary's side.

Side note, is Moxies any good?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:13 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
So now we're getting some idea about why some people don't like Dougie...he apparently opted to go to the museum one time instead of Moxies with the boys. :lol: I'm sorry, wouldn't you rather your players go to the museum?
Side note, is Moxies any good?
:lol: Moxies sucks. Sort of like Chili's or Fridays. Would much rather my players absorb some culture. That's hilarious.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:19 pm 
Big in Japan

Anyone watch draft coverage on Sportsnet? Brian Burke did colour and sounded like a dinosaur from last century. It was embarrassing. That guy was basically answering the phones in Calgary up until fairly recently. Explains a lot.

If this trade shakes up that dinosaur culture, then I'm all for it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:29 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Anyone watch draft coverage on Sportsnet? Brian Burke did colour and sounded like a dinosaur from last century. It was embarrassing. That guy was basically answering the phones in Calgary up until fairly recently. Explains a lot.

Missed that as we moved to California but heard some reports. He hates hats. He would never let his players wear the draft hats at the draft. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:05 pm 
Big in Japan

Logical Progression wrote:
E.L. wrote:

Missed that as we moved to California but heard some reports. He hates hats. He would never let his players wear the draft hats at the draft. :lol:

He was obsessed with the damn hats!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:52 pm 

E.L. wrote:

Naw I think Treliving is a dinosaur all on his own. I usually don't like to read between the lines but he heaped praise on Ferland, said hardly anything about Dougie. I'm sure there's more to this divorce than just not wanting to eat at Moxies, but it seems like a very NHL thing to do to punish a player for *gasp* being different.

Also should be noted, both Carolina players heading over to Calgary are also unsigned RFAs, whereas Dougie had a pretty amicable deal already in place. And I forgot to note that Carolina ALSO got a good prospect in Adam Fox. This is really looking like highway robbery to me and this is coming from someone who actually thinks fairly highly of Noah Hanifin.

I did see some of the draft coverage from SN on the replay they aired on NHLN, I definitely preferred the NBCSN coverage I watched live with Bob and Craig (I could at least tolerate Pierre).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:41 am 
King of Men

Pokecheque wrote:
I usually don't like to read between the lines but he heaped praise on Ferland, said hardly anything about Dougie. I'm sure there's more to this divorce than just not wanting to eat at Moxies, but it seems like a very NHL thing to do to punish a player for *gasp* being different.

This was glaring when watching 3Livings presser. I don't think its as cut and dry as Dougie was soft or odd....as I stated elsewhere there were a lot of other factors. Not sure why the media is hell bent on finding or in this case inventing character flaws. Someone needed to move and Hamilton was that guy. The team needed a change. I like this deal.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:35 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
This was glaring when watching 3Livings presser. I don't think its as cut and dry as Dougie was soft or odd....as I stated elsewhere there were a lot of other factors. Not sure why the media is hell bent on finding or in this case inventing character flaws. Someone needed to move and Hamilton was that guy. The team needed a change. I like this deal.

I'm not so certain the media is the villain here. I'm not seeing a ton of hot takes from them. I think it's just another case of warped old-school hockey culture, and the reason why so many players come off as dull as possible. Any sort of individuality that isn't old-fashioned thuggishness and they get punished.

I agree, I think there's more to the story here. Sounds like Dougie himself expressed a desire to leave, but I'm also pretty sure Calgary management did a good job of digging this hole. Sticking with a bad coach certainly didn't help matters.

But yes, regardless of who's responsible, something needed to change. I think the Calgary blueline looks a little better balanced but has less offensive punch. The key will be figuring out what in hell happened to Brodie, and if Gio/Hamonic can stay healthy.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Brouwer
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Bennett - Jankowski - Lindholm
Lazar - Shore - Foo

Hanifin - Giordano
Brodie - Hamonic
Stone - Anderson

Smith
Rittich

No idea if they want Lindholm to play wing or center.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:05 am 

Would Hanifin play with Giordano or Hamonic? Would have thought they would keep Brodie and Gio pairing. Regardless that's a nice top 4.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:22 am 
King of Men

Brodie is definitely going back on pair with Gio so that leaves Hanafin with Hamonic. I heard that Lindholm was going to ride on 1st line wing. So I guess we will see.