OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2018 draft
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:48 pm 
Big in Japan

Habs pass on a chance to trade up and draft the Drummondville kids. They just hired their coach, so not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Wings and Rangers killed it. I like the Stars' pick, actually.

Avalanche turn their cap room into a no. 1 goalie. Smart.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:22 am 

RW wrote:
harmfuljays wrote:
Zedina great pick by DET. He's going to own it. Some swagger to him!

I was scared shitless that Detroit's brain trust was still going to pick a smallish defenseman while waiting for them to pick Zadina.

And I was absolutely hoping Detroit would fill their need and grab a dman and leave Zedina for the Nucks. Especially since Hughes skillset of exceptional skating and great stick work even if a bit small seemed like Detroit would be all over him.

Having said that, I'm bloody happy with Hughes and his potential.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:48 am 
Big in Japan

Intrigued by the Hawks drafting Boqvist and Beaudin. Very new NHL: skill on the back end.

Not too many big galoots taken in the first. Noel will get drafted Saturday.

Hughes looks like he's 12. Wow he's skinny. I'd be shocked if he could play right away, but these are new times.

Merkley sounds like a case but the Sharks are the exact team that could take a shot.

29 teams passed on Veleno in a draft where all the centres went earlier than expected. Hmmm...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:34 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

E.L. wrote:
Hughes looks like he's 12. Wow he's skinny. I'd be shocked if he could play right away, but these are new times.
They all look 12. They're just babies. Hughes looks like he's about 10. He'll play U. of Michigan in the NCAA a year or two more.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:15 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I know next to nothing about Johansson but if the reactions on HF are any indication, Wylde fans are none too pleased with Paul Fenton's first pick as GM.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:38 am 

Continuing to read up a little on Dellandrea. The draft guide I used is pretty high on him actually, maybe it wasn't the reach I originally thought it was, but just gut-feeling I think the Stars missed out, and given their draft record they absolutely cannot afford many, if any, misses.

However, I think the Hayton pick at 5 by ARZ was just awful.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:58 am 

Oh and for all his dumbassery, Chiarelli ends up doing the right thing with the 10th overall pick and snags Evan Bouchard. He could still screw up and trade his rights for a middling veteran later on, but for now, he made exactly the right pick if the hype is to be believed.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:52 am 
OTP Clown

Where are the trades?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:12 am 
Big in Japan

Big names still on the board for day two:

Bode Wilde
Serron Noel
Akil Thomas
Jonatan Berggren
Ryan McLeod
Jacob Olofsson
Jared McIsaac

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:26 am 
OTP Clown

WHY THE HELL IS MAX STILL A HAB?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:47 am 
Big in Japan

Stinky wrote:
WHY THE HELL IS MAX STILL A HAB?

Same reason Bergy didn't trade up to get his precious Beaudin: he waits too long to pull the trigger.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:28 pm 
OTP Clown

Have drafted an assload of players.

Most seem to be nutty or projects.

Time will tell.

Now.

Where the fuck are the trades?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:32 pm 
OTP Clown

So... in the late rounds it seems they are drafting any centre who can skate.

Hail Mary!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:44 pm 

Stinky wrote:
So... in the late rounds it seems they are drafting any centre who can skate.

Hail Mary!

I like Hail Mary's in the later rounds. Give me speed and a late day of birth, the guys that are younger and harder to project accurately.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:36 pm 
Big in Japan

Wings and Isles gobbled up all the guys who dropped. Interesting to see if they'll ultimately be proven right.

Habs went really off the board in early round 2, drafting Russian defenceman Alexander Romanov. Can skate like the wind but draft analysts were shocked he went that early. Most armchair scouts hadn't even heard of him. Another Timmins hipster pick.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:54 pm 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

Pokecheque wrote:
Continuing to read up a little on Dellandrea. The draft guide I used is pretty high on him actually, maybe it wasn't the reach I originally thought it was, but just gut-feeling I think the Stars missed out, and given their draft record they absolutely cannot afford many, if any, misses.

I watched Hayton a lot this year at Sault Ste. Marie. While I agree, I don't think he was a #5, he's not going to be a shit pick either. He has a good shot and works his ass off on every shift at both ends of the ice. I think he'll come good but it might take a little bit of time.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:12 pm 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

Fogghorn wrote:
RW wrote:
harmfuljays wrote:
Zedina great pick by DET. He's going to own it. Some swagger to him!

I was scared shitless that Detroit's brain trust was still going to pick a smallish defenseman while waiting for them to pick Zadina.

And I was absolutely hoping Detroit would fill their need and grab a dman and leave Zedina for the Nucks. Especially since Hughes skillset of exceptional skating and great stick work even if a bit small seemed like Detroit would be all over him.

Having said that, I'm bloody happy with Hughes and his potential.

I think Hughes will be a great pickup for Vancouver. We just couldn't turn down Zadina when he fell to us at 6. I was hoping more for a big, right-handed, d-man like Evan Bouchard from London if we were going to draft defense.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:19 am 

RW wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:

I watched Hayton a lot this year at Sault Ste. Marie. While I agree, I don't think he was a #5, he's not going to be a shit pick either. He has a good shot and works his ass off on every shift at both ends of the ice. I think he'll come good but it might take a little bit of time.

I feel like he's another Daymond Langkow, another two-way guy who was taken really high and ultimately turned into a very good player (at least for a while) but never a real star in his own right. I suppose if Hayton becomes that he'll be fine, but the Coyotes can't afford to have another center prospect go bust (and I think ultimately, that's what'll happen with Dylan Strome).

Speaking of Soo kids, what's your take on Rasmus Sandin?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:34 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
RW wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:

I feel like he's another Daymond Langkow, another two-way guy who was taken really high and ultimately turned into a very good player (at least for a while) but never a real star in his own right. I suppose if Hayton becomes that he'll be fine, but the Coyotes can't afford to have another center prospect go bust (and I think ultimately, that's what'll happen with Dylan Strome).

Speaking of Soo kids, what's your take on Rasmus Sandin?

What bothers me most about the Hayton pick is that you'd think they could have traded down into the 9-12 range and still gotten Hayton and some other assets.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:22 am 

For the all the purported "whiz kid" props Chayka gets I've yet to be convinced he's a good GM. He's made some rather savvy moves in the past but I've been largely underwhelmed with his team-building skills thus far. I realize an unstable ownership situation hasn't helped matters but I still think he's done some head-scratchers. I don't know much about the rest of his draft but it sounds like his 2nd round pick as a reach too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next