OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:47 pm 
Big in Japan

I'd lock up Rantanen, Kerfoot, Zadorov asap and find a goalie who could maybe replace Varly in a year.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:35 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

The Colorado Eagles end their existence as an ECHL franchise with back-to-back Kelly Cup championships. Now they move on to become the Avs' AHL affiliate, meaning there will be no defending champion in the league next season.

Avs have not yet named their new ECHL affiliate. Still pullin' for the Swamp Rabbits!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:02 pm 

Well, this is never news you want to hear...but thankful it wasn't worse.

https://www.lelacstjean.com/accident-de ... e-indemne/

From what I can garner, Sammy Girard was cruising around in his black Chevy Camaro in his hometown of Roberval when he fell asleep and crashed. Apparently he's okay but...Christ, dude, you can afford to hire someone to drive you!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:48 pm 

Man this would be AWESOME if they drafted him, especially since the football team down the street has employed both guys named Brandon Marshall.

https://twitter.com/MikeChambers/status ... 4216759296

Quote:
#Avs' Alan Hepple says Dallas-born forward Ryan O'Reilly is definitely on the team's "radar." The 18-year-old will join DU for 2019-20.

Nice pun there, Chambers.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:01 pm 

So it turns out Sam Girard was doing an all-night cancer fundraiser in Montreal, then tried to make the drive back to Roberval, which I'm told is like 5 hours away, the next morning so he could resume training. Not a wise decision but hey, he's a good kid!

Erik Johnson has the best response to the incident:

https://twitter.com/6ErikJohnson/status ... 0826628096

:awesome:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:21 pm 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
So it turns out Sam Girard was doing an all-night cancer fundraiser in Montreal, then tried to make the drive back to Roberval, which I'm told is like 5 hours away, the next morning so he could resume training. Not a wise decision but hey, he's a good kid!

Erik Johnson has the best response to the incident:

https://twitter.com/6ErikJohnson/status ... 0826628096

:awesome:

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:57 am 

I really don't think it'll happen, but in light of the utter madness the Ottawa Senators find themselves in, there's been growing speculation that they'll hand the Avs THIS year's 1st rounder since it seems readily apparent that the 2018-19 Sens are headed for Jack Hughes territory. The fact this is even being discussed is mind-blowing. Reportedly Dorion & Co. have right up until the pick has to be announced to decide.

If I'm them, I still keep the pick and...that's that. There doesn't seem much logic to me in dealing a pick away when there's only a small chance next year's will be higher. The only reason to do otherwise is to avoid the PR nightmare if the Avs somehow end up winning the lottery. Just blow the team up this offseason and stockpile as many 1st rounders as you possibly can.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:46 pm 

More than a couple people saying the Sens are desperately trying to get their 1st rounder back, but if Sakic has proven anything it's that he can wait out just about everyone.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:59 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
More than a couple people saying the Sens are desperately trying to get their 1st rounder back, but if Sakic has proven anything it's that he can wait out just about everyone.

Which leads me to think they'll concede this year's pick at the last possible second. A brutal decision to make, but if you're committed to dealing Hoffman and Karlsson, you might as well strip it all down now.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:18 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Which leads me to think they'll concede this year's pick at the last possible second. A brutal decision to make, but if you're committed to dealing Hoffman and Karlsson, you might as well strip it all down now.

That will be mind-blowing if if happens. Friedman on his 31 Thoughts podcast said he thinks they should do just that. Sam Cosentino was on and he said they should keep it. I've been waffling on what they should do from Dorion's perspective.

On one hand, they keep the pick, they end up with a really good player, possibly Zadina, Hughes, Bouchard, whoever. The chances the 2019 pick ends up being a better player than any of those guys is slim, even as good as 2019 is supposedly going to be (I'm told this is the draft you target a d-man, next year is all about the forwards). Given the new lottery rules they could tank it like crazy next year and STILL end up with the 4th overall pick, just like the Avs did last in 2017.

On the OTHER hand...if that pick ends up being Jack Hughes...hoo boy. That will cast a pall over the organization for at least a generation if Hughes ends up being as good as they say he will be. But if that really enough to walk away from the 4th-best pick in this year's draft!? Also...you concede this pick, you are sending a clear signal to the fans...it's tank all the way. I suppose they'd be okay with that but still...to go from draft day to draft day knowing full well there won't be a glimmer of hope until 2019. I can't even imagine, and I had to sit through a team with Landeskog, Duchene, Johnson, Barrie, MacKinnon, Rantanen, and Varlamov muddle through a 48-point campaign that looked even worse than that number would indicate.

It's like trying to choose between being stabbed in the gut or the chest. There's no good way out of this situation.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:23 pm 

Avs are set to announce a new ECHL afilliation with the Utah Grizzlies.

https://twitter.com/UtahGrizz/status/10 ... 3065038848

The Denver Grizzlies were the last pro franchise (the old IHL) in Colorado before 1995, when the Avalanche came to town. They were an affiliate of the Isles back then (Ziggy Palffy and Tommy Salo were two notable players on the roster) and won their championship, the Turner Cup, in their only year of existence. They moved to Utah and after the IHL collapsed they went on as a member of the AHL until they too folded, then the rights for the name were bought up by a then-defunct ECHL franchise and they were reborn.

So in essence, this makes sense on a variety of levels. Geographically this means both affiliates are very close by. I was really hoping for the Greenville Swamp Rabbits, just because I love that name, or even the Orlando Solar Bears, but this is quite fitting.

Fun side note--the Ft. Collins youth hockey program went ALL IN when the Grizzlies first came to town, rebranding themselves with the name and colors of the new pro team. Unbeknownst to them and everyone else, they'd be gone the very next season. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:10 pm 
King of Men

Quote:
The voice of the Colorado Avalanche is changing.

Altitude Sports & Entertainment announced today that Marc Moser will be taking over the play-by-play calls for the Avs on television, while Conor McGahey is replacing Moser as the play-by-play man on Altitude Sports AM 950.

Moser began with the Avalanche in 1997-98 as the in-studio host and producer of the Avs’ radio broadcasts. He held that position for seven years, and in 2003, began a daily talk show with Altitude as well. After one year as the on-air, television studio host for Altitude, in 2006-07, Moser began an 11-year run as the Avalanche radio play-by-play caller.
“We are thrilled to have both Marc Moser and Conor McGahey calling Avalanche games on television and radio, for many years to come,” said Executive VP and General Manager/Executive Producer of Altitude Sports & EntertainmentKenny Miller. “Marc has established himself as one of the top NHL Radio personalities in the league. We are very lucky to have Mose bring over those talents to the TV side. It’s exciting to have Conor’s tremendous talents calling games for the team he grew up rooting for.”

https://milehighsports.com/altitude-spo ... nnouncers/

Looks like Moser is stepping up for Haynes. Moser might even rival Jack Edwards for homerism and melt downs!

Here is a little blip from McGahey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Z-E9WqCa2A

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:18 pm 

The outcry is ridiculous--so many people think Mose is too emotional. Uh...have you ever HEARD Haynes call a game!?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:41 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

What kind of expectations are on the Avs for this season? They made the playoffs last year and were a train wreck the year before. Presume they are expected to take a step forward from last year with a clean slate to start he year?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:01 pm 

Logical Progression wrote:
What kind of expectations are on the Avs for this season? They made the playoffs last year and were a train wreck the year before. Presume they are expected to take a step forward from last year with a clean slate to start he year?

The Athletic and various analytics folks has them pegged for regression, and while I'm hoping that's not the case, I kinda do too. Despite a ridiculous spate of injuries (including both of their goalies) a whole lot went right for them last year. They made the playoffs by the slimmest of margins last season, they could miss by that margin just as easily.

I think people are excited for the first time in a little while. It's also the first season the team's AHL affiliate is a stone's throw away from Denver, now that the Colorado Eagles made the leap to the AHL, and the timing is great for that because there are more than a few intriguing prospects who will be there.

I think people are not expecting playoffs necessarily, they just want to see that next step toward contention, whatever that may be. It'd be nice if the investment made in Phil Grubauer turns out to be a wise one as well.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:34 pm 
Big in Japan

Up to the goaltending, I think. They've got a potentially nice pairing here, and I think if they can ride both, they'll be in the playoff mix.

I'd rank that division: NSH, WPG, STL, COL, DAL, CHI, MIN

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:19 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Up to the goaltending, I think. They've got a potentially nice pairing here, and I think if they can ride both, they'll be in the playoff mix.

I think that's on-point, though I have a feeling Winnipeg is gonna run the table--depends on whether Hellebuyck can do what he did last season.

According to someone on HF, Sam Girard worked very, very hard to bulk up, reportedly is like 17 pounds heavier or something ridiculous like that. Now, some qualifiers--players always finish the season a bit light since you can't do a ton of weight work during the season, and from what I understand a lot of bulk gained in offseason weight training is water, which goes away pretty quickly. But in any case I'm thinking he didn't like the way the Preds were taking runs at him in the playoffs and wants to be a little tougher to knock down.

Lo and behold, this team actually has legit defensive depth.

Zadorov - Barrie
Girard - Johnson
Cole - Nemeth
Barberio
Alt

Very disconcerting news though--Conor Timmins is STILL battling concussion issues and is out for the upcoming rookie tournament. Joey Hishon was the team's last first-round pick to get concussed at the Memorial Cup and he frankly never recovered.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:57 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

E.L. wrote:

I would agree with this save Nashville finishing first. I say WPG, STL, NSH, COL, CHI, MIN