OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 57  Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:52 pm 

Been bingeing on Orphan Black. Up to season 4 now. Based around the concept and ethics of cloning. Very fast paced mystery, conspiracy driven show and consistently smart. Tatiana Maslany as the main protagonist is simply brilliant. Her acting ability alone makes the show worth checking out. She plays multiple clones, each their own unique character and I find myself completely involved with each one as if they were distinct and separate actors playing them. Perhaps the most brilliant female acting role I've ever seen.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:04 pm 
Old Man of the Post

I'm really looking forward to Season 2 of Mindhunter.

Lie to Me is ok. Just getting into it now.

Did True Detectives get picked up for a Season 3?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:25 am 

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
I'm really looking forward to Season 2 of Mindhunter.

Lie to Me is ok. Just getting into it now.

Did True Detectives get picked up for a Season 3?

TD got picked up, think its out in the fall. In the meantime still have to watch Season 3 of Fargo!

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 10:40 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Just got through season one of The Handmaid's Tale. Dark, bleak, disturbing, and enthralling all at the same time. Elizabeth Moss might very well be the best actress working in TV these days. I suppose it's more than a bit alarming that a dystopian novel written over three decades ago by a Canadian author about a radical right-wing movement that usurps the U.S. government and proceeds to strip women of virtually all of their rights is so very topical in today's society.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:11 am 
King of Men

The TV shows thread seems to be evolving as now there are webisodes or whatever they are called.

So has anyone seen Cobra Kai yet? It aired on Youtube Red.

Jonny slams banquets....cranks up hair metal......and drives an 80's red firebird..............F'N AWESOME! :wookie: :rock:

Highly recommended for 80's kids.....my kids also enjoyed it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:17 am 
Big in Japan

I don't think YouTube Red is available in Canada yet, unfortunately.

I've been watching Storage Wars Canada, which now goes by the name Storage Wars: Northern Treasures. Trashy people combing through other people's trash: my kind of television!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:49 pm 
King of Men

first 2 episodes are free it seems

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe9DTW ... YHL4mldGcA

NO MERCY!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:00 pm 

Cloak and Dagger is off to a pretty good start.

Legion is still one of the most visually compelling series in television history but man, it's almost trying a little too hard to be weird.

Supergirl is disappointing the hell out of me. I wish these "Arrowverse" shows weren't so invested in doing a season-long arc. If the villain sucks (and this one kinda does) then it just makes the whole season a bit unwatchable.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:33 am 

Just finished GLOW season 2. Great show.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:47 am 
OTP Historian

Watching 12 Monkeys the show. Like it so far.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:28 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Pokecheque wrote:
Just finished GLOW season 2. Great show.
Me too! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:33 pm 

Finally finished season 1 of Star Trek: Discovery. Overall an uneven, but thoroughly enjoyable show thus far. I could've done without the two HUGE plot twists dropped back-to-back in the latter half of the season, but I still thought they were pulled off rather well. Also, I get they wanted us to believe Michael Burnham was badass, and they completely succeeded, but maybe have her not doing every single thing that drives the plot going forward, there's a ton we still don't know about the rest of the ensemble cast.

Also, while I liked their new take on the Klingons, I'd really like to see something else that didn't feature them at all.

A bit concerned that they're already on their third rotation of showrunners (Bryan Fuller abruptly left before filming began, his successors were fired after season 1 after reports of abusive behavior) and that the new guy is touting the word I dread the most when it comes to Star Trek. CANON. We're gonna be seeing Captain Pike, the Enterprise, and Mr. Spock, I just hope this doesn't turn into just another boring prequel.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:58 pm 
King of Men

I agree....I didn't go into it with high expectations....after all Discovery and Voyager were not really my thing......but I was pleasantly surprised and actually watched added it to my sci fi list along with:

The Expanse

A police detective in the asteroid belt, the first officer of an interplanetary ice freighter and an earth-bound United Nations executive slowly discover a vast conspiracy that threatens the Earth's rebellious colony on the asteroid belt.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3230854/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1.

Now.....

I recommend this series...so grab your tin foil hat and ignore the cat lady!

Deep Space: The Secret Space Program

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6021862/

https://www.gaia.com/series/deep-space? ... hind&ch=st

While some of this reaching...I typically like to view things with an open mind from outside my perceptual prison and I enjoy the questions it brings up. This series along with Ancient Civilizations is very thought provoking.

Beware you will go down a rabbit hole that you may not be able to escape from. If that's your type of thing....enjoy the journey.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:33 pm 

Thanks for the recommendation, I've never heard of that one.

I've heard countless good things about The Expanse as well, someday I'll sit down and check it out.

Star Trek for me has been way more miss than hit. Not to say there isn't a lot to like, but ya gotta parse through a lot of mediocrity to get to the good stuff.

Thankfully Discovery achieved what Enterprise completely failed to do--a prequel that wasn't completely hamstrung by over half a century's worth of continuity. We'll see if it ends up gettin' them in the end. It'll be interesting to see how the Maguffin they introduced--technology that allows them to traverse faster and farther than warp speed could ever take them--will be treated since it obviously isn't used in future iterations.

Deep Space Nine remains Star Trek at its very peak. It remains the only Trek series/movie/anything that took risks and actually stuck the landing nearly every time. Anyone who says otherwise or says Voyager was anything other than a steaming pile should be shoved out the nearest airlock.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:44 pm 
Big in Japan

I also enjoyed Glow. Handsmaid's Tale season two was pretty bonkers.

Still haven't watched Discovery yet. But I will, someday.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:26 pm 

Anyone else into Succession season one? Episode one is a bit weird but the characters build over time.

https://www.hbo.com/succession?pid=goog ... 169-VQ16-c

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:24 am 
King of Men

Did we discuss Altered Carbon on netflix here? F'n a man! Another sci fi entry that I thoroughly enjoyed.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2261227/

Set in a future where consciousness is digitized and stored, a prisoner returns to life in a new body and must solve a mind-bending murder to win his freedom.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:33 pm 

Only two episodes into the newest season of Arrested Development and I already want to quit. It really feels like they're just going through the motions at this point.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:37 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Only two episodes into the newest season of Arrested Development and I already want to quit. It really feels like they're just going through the motions at this point.
Yeah nothing original in that series anymore although I used to love it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:41 pm 

The previous season still made me laugh, but it clearly lost its mojo. Now it's just tired. The only one who still seems into it is Tony Hale playing Buster, and he's hardly been featured.

Given the disastrous NY Times interview the cast did to promote the new season I suppose I can see why something is more than a bit off.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 57  Next