OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Offseason trade board
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:08 pm 
Big in Japan

Based on The Athletic's article about it: https://theathletic.com/381059/2018/06/ ... is-summer/

Who's getting dealt this offseason? Some rumoured big names:

Phil Kessel
Ryan O'Reilly
Erik Karlsson
Oliver Ekman-Larsson
Max Pacioretty
Everybody on the Hurricanes
Everybody without a NMC on the Wild
Philipp Grubauer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:46 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

If it came down to a choice between Kessel and Sullivan, I know who I'd pick.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:00 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Isles are supposedly very interested in Grubauer.

I'd put Brock Nelson on the trade block. Unless the Isles bring in a new coach who can motivate him to consistently try. Guy is great when he cares, but goes like 5-10 games with zero fucks given.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:44 pm 

Chris18 wrote:

I'd put Brock Nelson on the trade block. Unless the Isles bring in a new coach who can motivate him to consistently try. Guy is great when he cares, but goes like 5-10 games with zero fucks given.

Call the Habs! They're desperate for centers and if he's "gritty" at all I bet they'll bite.

It's a shame about ol' Grabbo. I bet he'd be the perfect 3rd line center behind JT and Barzal.

It really wouldn't be that hard to get a decent third line center behind those two, assuming JT re-ups. I mean, seriously, how many minutes does a guy like that have to play any given night? I get there are possible injuries to consider and what not but just going out and getting some average (or as the stats people like to say, replacement level) guy would be easy.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:38 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Rumours abound of Hanafin being dealt to Vancouver.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:08 am 

Logical Progression wrote:

Makes sense. He is precisely the kind of defender they DON'T need.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:20 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Call the Habs! They're desperate for centers and if he's "gritty" at all I bet they'll bite.

It's a shame about ol' Grabbo. I bet he'd be the perfect 3rd line center behind JT and Barzal.

It really wouldn't be that hard to get a decent third line center behind those two, assuming JT re-ups. I mean, seriously, how many minutes does a guy like that have to play any given night? I get there are possible injuries to consider and what not but just going out and getting some average (or as the stats people like to say, replacement level) guy would be easy.

Nelson is as gritty as Vaseline. :roll: I can't recall him ever having a fight, and he's usually the guy who waits until all officials are there to slowly skate over to a scrum. Pretty sure I've read his lips asking opponents "is it Tuesday or Wednesday? I can't remember that kind of deep shit."

Isles could move Beauvillier back to C if they want a decent 3C. Unless they don't want to mess with the chemistry of him & Barzal. Seems to me anyone put on Barzal's line wakes up. It's like when Al Arbour used to put any struggling forward on with Trottier & Bossy. Suddenly their slump was over. Barzal has that touch. Isles fans on various blogs keep showing fancy stats of his. I don't even understand some of them, but he's among the league leaders in all kinds of shit.

Isles really need at least one D & a true #1 goalie. Not necessarily elite, but a real #1. Halak was always a 1a type, who needed great support. Greiss offered that at times, and has gone back to his old off-season trainer, who he had split with before last year. So maybe his off-season training fucked him up, and now he'll return to 1b/#2 form that he'd had before. I hope so. Lots of rumors about who Lou is targeting. He's probably looking at a few, and it largely depends on return price. Supposedly Grubauer is his primary target, but he's pretty busy for the next week or so, and somehow I can't see the Caps talking to anyone about anything beyond champagne and parade routes at the moment.

The only untouchables I see in the Isles org:
Tavares (unless he makes it clear he won't re-sign, and they trade his exclusive negotiating rights)
Barzal

Boychuk & Ladd have NTCs. Boychuk just finished renovating his huge, historic house on LI, so I can't see him agreeing to a trade, unless it's to Edmonton so he can be with his extended family.

I think pretty much every other Isle is up for grabs if the return is a #1 goalie or top 3 D man. If they re-sign De Haan, maybe you can cross d-man off that list. Maybe. Lou values D way more than Snow did.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:11 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Pokecheque wrote:
Logical Progression wrote:
Makes sense. He is precisely the kind of defender they DON'T need.
:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:36 am 
Big in Japan

Art Staple was on Montreal sports radio this morning saying Lou Lams is more than happy to deal their two first rounders to improve the team today.

Habs need a 1LD. How about Max Pacioretty and a 2nd rounder for Nick Leddy and a first?

I could also see Pacioretty to LAK for Muzzin.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:03 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Art Staple was on Montreal sports radio this morning saying Lou Lams is more than happy to deal their two first rounders to improve the team today.

Habs need a 1LD. How about Max Pacioretty and a 2nd rounder for Nick Leddy and a first?

I could also see Pacioretty to LAK for Muzzin.

Isles should not under any circumstances part with Leddy. He's their #1 and they don't have the depth to spare, especially if de Haan and his bad shoulder sign elsewhere. And goal scoring was one of the few things the Isles did not have a problem with.

Patches for Muzzin makes some sense, but that makes me shudder because it could open the door to reinstating Slava fucking Voynov.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:16 pm 

Agreed. Isles need D and a goalie, not scoring. I thought I posted a reply saying that before, but old man syndrome seems to be setting in early.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:35 pm 

Of course, everything changes if JT opts out of Long Island.

I don't know if anyone has a tougher offseason job for himself than Paul Fenton in Minnesota. Dude's got barely enough cap room to re-sign the team he currently has and he knows that team simply isn't good enough to win a Cup. There isn't much in terms of prospects/cheap young talent in the pipeline, which leaves the possibility of a trade.

I simply don't know what you do there. Their principal players are too old to do a quick rebuild, but they also aren't 1-2 "tweaks" away from being real contenders, unless Fenton somehow garners prime assets for nothing AND fits them under the cap.

BTW, not that sympathetic...it's Minny. Eff them.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:47 pm 
Big in Japan

Nino seems like the scapegoat in Minny, which would be a mistake but he has the long-term deal and no no-trade protection.

Same with Coyle, who picked a bad time to have an off-year, and maybe even Brodin if they think Seeler is ready.

What does Minny need, exactly? They have a pretty deep team but could use a gamebreaker. Another potential home for Pacioretty? Can they find Stastny money?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:35 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Nino seems like the scapegoat in Minny, which would be a mistake but he has the long-term deal and no no-trade protection.

Same with Coyle, who picked a bad time to have an off-year, and maybe even Brodin if they think Seeler is ready.

What does Minny need, exactly? They have a pretty deep team but could use a gamebreaker. Another potential home for Pacioretty? Can they find Stastny money?

God, I hope Stazz doesn't turn this into a tour of the Central. Seeing him in Minny Green would be nightmare fuel. And I don't think he addresses what they need anyway, unless they truly think Saku's little bro can't be a top-six forward anymore. Patches would probably be a good add as they were around league-average when it came to scoring if I recall correctly.

I really think they were counting on Coyle and Brodin to become stars or close to it. Both have turned out to be perfectly good players, but I'm sure they wanted more. Coyle needs to go someplace where he's not "the guy we got in return for Brent Burns".

And yeah, I think it's simply a matter of talent. They have the coach and a decent team with enough skill on it to make waves in the regular season, but come postseason they just can't get it done. Russo said in a recent mailbag segment that he thinks this core is spent. I agree. They went at it the last few years with their best effort and have little to show for it. It's now to the point of diminishing returns. I don't see an outright collapse but I do see a slow, but steady decline unless they make a major move or two.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:46 pm 
Big in Japan

Scratch OEL: he'll be in Glendale the next 8 seasons.

Of the Canes names out there: Skinner and Hanifin sound most likely to be dealt.

Hanifin for ROR really makes too much sense.

Those in the know swear Subban is on the block, but it only makes sense to me if they want to use his cap hit in a more pressing position, like an elite scorer.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:02 pm 
OTP Clown

Subban for Max +2 second rounders.

Bring back the real captain!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:17 pm 
Big in Japan

Add Mike Hoffman to the mix. Lebrun says he's gone.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:00 pm 

E.L. wrote:

What the actual fuck. If I'm a GM and Mike Hoffman is in the mix I seriously don't trade for him unless he guarantees he's coming alone.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:08 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
E.L. wrote:

What the actual fuck. If I'm a GM and Mike Hoffman is in the mix I seriously don't trade for him unless he guarantees he's coming alone.

I posted that minutes BEFORE the story dropped. Now I know why Lebrun was so matter-of-fact about Hoffman leaving.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:12 pm 
OTP Clown

Wow.

That's just batshit.