OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:15 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Some in the press seem convinced that firing Weight essentially ended the relationship between Tavares and the Isles. I'd be pretty surprised if that were the case, but if true, maybe that's not a guy you should be building around anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:54 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Pokecheque wrote:
Some in the press seem convinced that firing Weight essentially ended the relationship between Tavares and the Isles. I'd be pretty surprised if that were the case, but if true, maybe that's not a guy you should be building around anyway.

I've read that. I don't think JT would leave a team because the coach/friend was removed. He's not even fired. He's still with the team. But to me, JT wants to win. And I think he knows from last year that Weight wasn't getting it done. The D sucked donkey, and he did nothing to change it. I think JT is smart enough to know that's not how one coaches an NHL team. And Snow did nothing to address it. He gave De Haan a shitty raise last time around, saying he wasn't that important to the team, and then when he got hurt Snow cried the De Haan is injured blues, saying that's why they were so bad. Can't have that both ways, and if he was that good and was going to be out the whole year, then address the fact that you have the worst goals against in the league! Do something. Neither Snow nor Weight did anything.

If they bring in me as the next coach, I could see JT being like "fuck this team!" and leaving. If they bring in someone with NHL experience or a highly respected minor league/college coach, I don't think it weighs much into his decision. Coaches come & go. I don't think JT thought Weight was going to be his coach for the rest of his Islander days (unless he knew they're already done). He's had Gordon, Capuano and Weight with the Isles. It's not like he demanded a trade after the first 2 were let go.

I think people are just looking for any angle to write about to get eyeballs on their writing. I also think writers in other cities are doing whatever they can to help get him to their team so they can write about him all the time. :lol:

My gut is still that he re-signs with the Isles. But I think he'll test the waters and give them the chance to match offers. I hope. As soon as he didn't extend last year I thought he'd pull a Stamkos and re-sign last minute, to help the PA out and drive costs up. Although I'll never really understand that theory in a salary cap era. It pretty much screws middle tier guys out of jobs. Once the big guns get their huge contracts, teams don't have enough cap space to keep guys who would be really good third liners around, and they have to bring up kids instead. Sure, it helps young guys get into the league, but it seems like there are able bodied veterans who go unsigned every year because nobody has the cap space for them.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:41 pm 

Add Greg Cronin to the list of fired Isles staff. I don't normally like to see anyone lose their job, but Cronin was awful. The Isles D has underperformed for years, and he did nothing to change the systems. Hoorah!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:28 pm 
Big in Japan

Dreger says Isles and Trotz are closing in on a deal.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:21 pm 
Big in Japan

Newsday says JT not confirmed but close. Looks like Lou Lams did it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:14 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Newsday says JT not confirmed but close. Looks like Lou Lams did it.

I keep seeing 8 years, $92 million ($11.5 million/year).

Trotz in as coach. 5 years, $20 million.

Malkin & Ledecky are showing that they listened to the fans complaints and are seriously willing to pony up for results.

Great week. Can't wait to see what Lou does at the draft. Lots of rumors about their picks being used to bring in some good players.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:28 pm 

Huh...Snow was there at the draft, even went up on stage. Very surprising.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:43 am 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:

Even he realizes he's no Lou...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:37 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:

Even he realizes he's no Lou...

Yeah, Lou said the draft team was what Snow had put in place.

Many Isles fans noticed that Wahlstrom & Dobson had generic Isles jerseys with no name plates. Well duh! Nobody expected them to drop to 11 & 12!
They got Bode Wilde (best name in the draft!) in the 2nd round. I'd say those are 3 steals!

However, it's not all good news in NY right now. Grubauer, the goalie most fans wanted and thought Lou was targeting, went to Colorado.

And the much bigger news is that Tavares announced today that he'll listen to offers from other teams. I kind of knew he would, especially after not signing by now... But yesterday I was 99% sure he'd return to the Isles and now I'm like 60% sure. And that's slipping as I write this... He's said all along that he thinks great players stick with 1 team, but I think a few teams will make huge offers. More rumors that the Isles offered 8 years at $88 million but he said he wants to listen to offers. I think it's mostly a move to make the NHLPA happy. He's a player rep. But it's making me nervous.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:14 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Suppose whether Tavares stays or goes depends in large part just how fast he feels Lou and Co. can turn the Isles into a legitimate Stanley Cup contender. Also some team will probably throw stupid Conner McDavid money at him. Tavares ain't over the hill by any measure, but his personal window for a Cup is probably around 4-5 years at peak performance. I say he stays put, but imagine if Vegas could land him? That would turn the hockey world on it's ear.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/lea ... islanders/

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:24 am 

Man, Isles absolutely NAILED it in this draft. Not only did they get three kids who were very highly touted (Wahlstrom, Dobson, Wilde) they got the only goalie prospect I had even heard anything about prior to Friday in Skarek.

Now...if they can manage to lure Johnny T. back and somehow address the gaping hole in goal they'll have had a perfect offseason.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:56 pm 

Like I've said elsewhere, I was like 90% sure he'd re-sign the other day after the Trotz announcement. Now I'm plummeting below 60% sure. And dropping all the time. I know they'd have cap issues, but Tampa scares me as a dark horse. I could see them doing a sign & trade to get the Isles someone in return so him leaving isn't as damaging and it gets Tampa the cap relief they would need. Man that player would be hated.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:24 am 

Didn’t know where else to put this.

Matt Moulson, who, to my surprise, was still playing in the AHL this whole time, announced his retirement.