OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:59 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

E.L. wrote:
Ex-Isle David Ullstrom signs a two-way deal in Glendale. http://arizonasports.com/story/1529105/ ... -contract/

I'm happy for him.

Lou Lamoriello to the Isles is still a hot rumor, with Friedman saying he can see it happening. That would be nice. Kick Snow upstairs, to the curb, hot dog sales... Wherever.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 1:40 pm 
Big in Japan

Darren Dreger was doing the Canadian sports talk radio rounds today and put JT re-signing at 50/50 post-Lou Lams. He also has the Preds, Blues, Sharks, Knights in the running.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:06 am 

E.L. wrote:
Darren Dreger was doing the Canadian sports talk radio rounds today and put JT re-signing at 50/50 post-Lou Lams. He also has the Preds, Blues, Sharks, Knights in the running.

I'm becoming more confident that he'll re-sign. I can't see Lou meeting with him, and then taking the job if he knew or felt JT was leaving.
Apparently some other GMs are really pissed that he was allowed to meet with JT before he officially worked for the Isles.

And with the Bolts losing, they can't entice JT with their Cup rings.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 7:35 pm 

Heard Kulemin went to the KHL. Bummed to see him go, but glad to see his cap hit come off the books.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:43 pm 

Rumors abound that Lou has spoken to JT and/or his agent "almost daily" since being named Pres. What can they talk about daily?

Day 1.
Lou- John, are you ready to sign? 8 years, $88 million!
JT- Not yet. I'm going to explore my options Lou.

Day 2.
Lou- John, are you ready to sign?
JT- Dude, I told you yesterday, I'm going to explore options. Please don't ask again until July 1st.

Day 3
Lou- John, are you r...
JT- Dude, seriously. I said don't ask again until July.
Lou- Okay.

Day 4
JT- Seriously? I said don't as...
Lou- I'm not going to ask if you'll sign. I just wanna, you know, see now you're doing.
JT- what? Weird. Talk to you in July.

Day 5
Lou- Do you have a pen I can borrow?
JT- July.

Day 6
Lou- John, can I get your autograph? I need it on a few things. Some pucks, a couple of sticks, a pile of papers....
JT- Nice try. July 1st.
Lou- I'm working on getting a goalie. And D. And Snow is washing my car right now. Good thing he's tall. He can reach the top. Fucker's good for something.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:00 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:10 pm 

Lots of rumors that JT has booked a trip to Vancouver during the UFA courting period.

Rumors abound that Lou is trying to get Grubauer from the Caps, and that he is likely to do a shitload of trading at the draft. He's said he will do whatever is necessary to make the Isles a winning team. Some think that means he'll go like 8 years, $12 million for JT, others think he's moving on from JT and is looking for trades and draft picks... I still think JT will seek offers and go back to the Isles with all of them, and give them the ability to match. He has said all along he wants to stay with them for his whole career, and the Belmont arena should help since he won't be playing on the Slushies rink for the next 8 years. 3 split seasons and then a new joint to break in and make the unofficial JT Arena.

The Isles have lots of cap space as of now- more than any other team according to Cap Friendly. $28 million and change (with last year's cap of $75 million), with 13 rostered players and 29 contracts. Lou's son is the Isles assistant GM & the Sound Tigers GM. Should be some good synergy there, right?

Subban trade rumors. Don't see the Isles fitting $9 million into that $28 along with JT, but man that would be great. He's an old friend of JT's... The cap should be going up 3-7 million too.

I see Grubauer getting like $3 million. Greiss already gets $3.3 million.
JT should get like $11 million.
Nelson (if not traded) gets $3 million.
Ross Johnston gets $1 million, and probably goes to Bridgeport anyway.
Quine or Prince get $1 million.
De Haan gets like $4.3 million.
Hickey gets like $2.5 million.
Pulock gets like $1.2 million.

That leaves 4-7 million for more outside additions, unless Lou manages to move bad contracts like Ladd's, Clutterbuck's, etc. Ladd has a NTC, as does Boychuk. But Boychuk's numbers are surprisingly good. When he & De Haan were hurt was the Isles big drop off. When healthy, they helped a lot.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:49 pm 

Just read Dreger saying Lou is still in "almost daily" contact with Camp Tavares.

Day 13.
Lou- John! Question for you. Do you think my combover looks better started on the right or left?
JT- JULY LOU!

Day 14.
Lou- Johnny boy! Did you see the guys outside your house last night?
JT- No. What? Who is...
Lou- Exactly John. You didn't see them. But they saw you. Don't even think about going to Vancouver John. Capice?
JT- Uhh. Okaaaaay- wait a minute. Did you just threaten me?
Lou- What size shoes do you wear John?

Day 15.
Lou- John. The local police have found $88 million dollars. They say it's yours and you just need to sign a form. I've got the form. Get over here quick!
JT- Come on Lou. Garth tried that one already. You're better than that. I'm not a methhead.
Lou- No. One of those fuckers would have signed a long fucking time ago. You're a tough nut Johnny. But they don't call me the Nutcracker for nothing!
JT- Who calls you the nutcracker?
Lou- Guys who can cross their legs now. Sign the fucking paper John.

But seriously, the fact that Camp Tavares is talking to them at this point is highly encouraging. To me it sounds like JT will re-sign, but is testing the waters and doing his PA due diligence. I also heard he's basically waiting to see what the cap will be, so he doesn't either short change himself or handcuff the team from signing others (Snow already did a good enough job of that with the deals given to Ladd, Cizikas & Clutterbuck).

Still waiting impatiently to see what happens, but I have even a little more faith today. Lou is doing well by the Isles already. Positive changes. Out with the old guys who weren't improving the team. In with guys who may or may not improve them.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:17 am 

I really want him to sign there, and not just for your sake as an Isles fan. I just don't want to see the madness that'll ensue come July 1st, especially amongst Avs fans.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:49 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
I really want him to sign there, and not just for your sake as an Isles fan. I just don't want to see the madness that'll ensue come July 1st, especially amongst Avs fans.

Thanks. For my sake, I hope he re-signs. :lol:
He's a real bright spot for long-suffering fans. I can still see him scoring vs Luongo to win the series 2 years ago. He and Barzal are a great 1-2. If Lou can fix the D & goalie situations, they've got a chance at some success. A chance. Which is more than they have without him.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:56 pm 

No Grubauer, so Lou is reportedly in talks with the Sens about Craig Anderson. Not a great choice given the numbers he put up last season and the fact that he's 37 with some term left in his deal.

Also some talk surrounding Carter Hutton. Really good backup but don't think he's a viable option as a starter.

One other name that hasn't come up but one the Isles should look at: Harri Sateri.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:07 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Pokecheque wrote:
No Grubauer, so Lou is reportedly in talks with the Sens about Craig Anderson. Not a great choice given the numbers he put up last season and the fact that he's 37 with some term left in his deal.

Also some talk surrounding Carter Hutton. Really good backup but don't think he's a viable option as a starter.

One other name that hasn't come up but one the Isles should look at: Harri Sateri.
Give Hutton a shot. He's cap friendly and at least in the realm of being the right age.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:19 am 

Logical Progression wrote:
Give Hutton a shot. He's cap friendly and at least in the realm of being the right age.[/quote]

I think a tandem of him and Greiss would be an improvement but not by much. Now, if Lou were to get a young starter like, say, Sparks, then Hutton would be a perfect 1B behind him.

There's also been talk of Talbot being up for grabs but I don't see even Chiarelli being stupid enough to deal him without having a starter in place.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:59 pm 

I foresee Greiss having a bounce back year, but I don't want him as the starter. My trust in him after that Florida series was short lived. But he's gone back to his old off-season trainer, who he had bailed on after that year. So maybe he comes back in like an actual NHL goalie again.

They still need D in a big way and I've heard that de Haan is de Gone. Snow really pissed him off last year. Carlson is off the board.

Wonder if any of these kids from the draft could make the team out of camp. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:52 am 

Is Aho ready? Surely he can play a middle/third pairing role. Can't he?

Leddy - Boychuk
Aho - Mayfield
Pelech - Pulock

Okay...that's not great, but I've seen worse.

There are some decent bargain options if CDH is indeed gone (risky investment anyway, his shoulder is gonna do this eventually...)

Dylan DeMelo wasn't retained by SJ, decent size/skating ability. Christian Folin is in the same boat w/LA I believe. Those are the cheaper options.

The more pricey ones? Ian Cole, Mike Green, and yes, Jack Johnson. Not great options.

If Dallas screws up with Greg Pateryn or Washington with Michal Kempny, Lou should pounce...unfortunately free agency ain't his strong suit.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:16 pm 

I'm betting some glue sniffing GM will give de Haan something like $27.5 million for 5 years. They're the reasons we have lockouts all the time.

So one of the best bagel shops on Long Island officially offered to send JT free bagels for the entire duration of his contract if he returns to the Isles. That's pretty damn funny, even if he's mainly doing it for free publicity. Although if JT signs an 8 year deal, it won't be free.

Supposedly JT was asked by the Isles if they could/should trade him at the deadline and he said no.
Supposedly he moved closer to Belmont in the spring.
Supposedly he was really happy with the hiring of Lou & Trotz.
Supposedly this is all just to satisfy the NHLPA.
Supposedly Stamkos & Seguin have both said they wouldn't let him have #91. :lol: I don't buy that one for a second.
That's what I'm reading on various Isles blogs. Truth to any of it? I'm not sure.
I still feel he's like 51-60% likely to return. Hoping the ass kissing shows are over now and he can get to making an announcement that he's returning.

More Isles rumors- Lou is looking for a goalie. Noooooo shit. Hutton is high on his list. Or maybe on fans' lists.
Hickey was essentially told goodbye. Shame. He's a good puck mover and plays physically for a smaller d-man.
They let Quine, Prince and Davidson all walk. No qualifying offers.
Qualifying offers given to everyone else owed one. Which is too many players to name if you include the AHL guys.

Av- if Mayfield plays over Pulock, Isles fans will revolt. Pulock is seen as the next Karlsson, whether or not he is. Having a 106 MPH shot makes them think he can score at will, and they forget that D-men have to actually play D. He's not terrible on the D-side of the puck, but he's no Karlsson. On either side of it.
Aho looked okay. Not great, not terrible. Toews is higher on the depth chart, but he got hurt last year. But that's a lot of really young D-men, especially if they're going with Greiss and Soderstrom in net. Even if they bring in a real #1 goalie, they're going to see a lot of rubber and a lot of odd man rushes with that D.

Step #1. Sign JT.
Step #2. ??????????
Step #3. Win Stanley Cup!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:20 am 

Well, They made a big step in the draft. I'll be shocked if either Wahlstrom or Dobson don't end up being good players. Wilde is another potential impact guy (didn't realize he was so big, 6'4"!).

Should've seen the reaction Wilde had when they announced the Veleno pick. He realized then he likely wasn't going in the first round. Dude's gonna have one hell of a chip on his shoulder when he finally makes the bigs.

That's three guys right there who could be on the big squad as early as next year (I'm guessing it'll take longer for the defensemen to get there, but Wahlstrom will be there in 2019).

Seriously, if the pundits are right, the Isles NAILED this draft. They even got the only goalie prospect I had heard any buzz about going into it (Skarek).

And they drafted a kid named BLADE JENKINS. If he ain't destined for the NHL he should get into metal music.

https://www.lighthousehockey.com/2018/6 ... bson-wilde

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:26 am 

Isles fans are debating which name is better- Blade Jenkins or Bode Wilde. :lol:

Wahlstrom had 3 goals in the mini-games last night at rookie camp. Apparently made 3 defenders look absolutely stupid on one of them.
All these kids are tall. Dobson needs to steal some of Cartman's Weight Gain 2000 though. 177 lbs!

Their draft haul was great, and I'm glad they didn't trade a high pick for an unproven goalie.

Now, if JT would just re-sign or say he's going UFA so they can trade his rights so he can get his 8th year with his new team, that would just be... fuck that. I really hope he comes back!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:27 pm 

I hate Twitter, and only have an account due to looking for something long ago. Logged into it for the first time in years today to try to get JT news. Fucking idiots on there are making me glad I don't use it.

But I keep saying I'll stop seeking news and just wait until I hear it. I close my laptop and start trying to do something else. 2 minutes later I have a fear that I missed news, whether good or bad, and re-open everything. Pathetic? YES! The life of an Islanders fan? YES. See, a year ago, I probably would have assumed with the Isles shit show that he'd leave. Now they've got shit going in the right direction, so it would be so fucking Islanders for him to leave. So that's how I'm thinking.

So if you need me, I'll be here hitting refresh every minute or so. I even went to hockeybuzz today! I needed a shower afterwards, but I looked at it! YUCK.

Going out for a bit. Hoping to come back to good news. Or I may pull over a few times to check for news... :steamingpileofcrap:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:04 am 

I was expecting a JT announcement yesterday.
I now expect one today at noon.
Or 2 PM.
Maybe 3 PM.
Or 4.
1?
6. Definitely by 6.
Or maybe 11 PM, pushing it literally to the 11th hour? Haha, JT, that would be really funny, you fuck.
7 PM for sure.
Maybe he gets interrupted at 7. Late dinner. So 8.
Well, dessert, bought by one of these motherfucker GMs, so 9. 9 PM it is.
Or maybe noon tomorrow. Absolute motherfucker.

So if I never post on here again, it's because I had a stroke.
I keep saying he's just a player on a sports team I like, so it's not the end of the world if he leaves. I slam my laptop closed and go to do something, only to return within a short time to check again. If I got $1 for every time I've done that, I could sign the prick to my beer league team.

Fuck you John Tavares!!! You asshole. Stop making us all wait before you say you're going to the Sharks.
But seriously, please stay with the Isles. Please? They've done everything right this off-season so far. And you said to not trade you.
So go fuck yourself if you're leaving!
But if you're not, dude, you're the best.
With a shovel if you're going. That's right, fuck yourself with a god damned shovel if you're leaving. Especially for the Leafs. Fuck them. And you.
But Isles fans have shown you nothing but love for 9 years now. How could you leave us?

Fucking fuck man, make an announcement. I actually looked at Twitter. :fffffuck:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next