OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2018 off-season thread
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:21 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Might as well start it now!

Isles sign David Quenneville & Yannick Rathgeb to ELCs. Two more D to add to the mix.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:22 am 

UFAs

Forward
Tavares (!)- Probably the most important UFA this year overall. Most Isles fans think he's as good as gone. Others think he'll re-sign. I flip minute to minute. Obviously hoping he stays.
Kulemin- He was sorely missed on the D side of the puck and PK. Isles don't seem to have a replacement for him in the system. But he's getting slower every year. If he can be brought back for like 2 years, $2 million/yr, great. Nothing more than those though.
Chris Wagner- Meh. Snow finally realized Matt Martin's hits did have some positive effect on the 4th line, so he brought in a buy who hits. Wagner didn't make much difference though. And I know- Martin isn't good besides hitting. But neither was Wagner.

D
De Haan- Snow cheaped out on giving de Haan a real contract during the last off-season, then blamed the season's failure on him being hurt. Can't do that Garth. I fully expect de Haan to get paid very well elsewhere, but I hope they bring him back.
Hickey- Plays bigger than he is, and is always a threat to score a big goal (though few others). I'd like to see him back. He's also played wing when needed.
Seidenberg- Bye Felicia.

G
Halak- He wasn't stellar this year, but after last year's waiving, I don't think his heart was in it. Then again, his heart was never in it, which is half the problem with him. No idea who the Isles could sign or trade for, but it's pretty obvious Halak's days in NY are done. "Let it go by" Greiss is signed for 2 more years. :x
Gibson- He outplayed his long term AHL numbers while up in the NHL. Nice, but not sustainable. If they sign him to a 2-way deal, yay. No way he should be brought back as an NHL goalie. If the tandem is him and Greiss, I'm done with hockey.
Gudlevskis- played in Bridgeport all year. 2-way deal...

RFAs
F

Nelson- the enigma. He scores in bunches, then disappears for 8-15 games. He's not that good defensively. If he left, I wouldn't be too upset. Makes room for any of Bellows, Ho-Sang or someone drafted high this year.
Prince- Meh. Decent bottom 6 guy, but nothing that can't be replaced with any of the guys mentioned in the Nelson comment.
Johnston- 6 points and 62 PIM in 24 games. Not bad production from a 4th line guy, and brings some toughness. Skates better than a goon. I'd actually like to see him stay for something like 2-3 years, but not above $1.5 million/yr.
Quine- See Prince.

D
Davidson- Meh. Quietly decent 3rd pairing guy. Not great, not terrible. I don't recall anything great or awful, but that's probably a good thing for a 3rd pairing guy.
Pulock- He's getting better all the time. Injury prone, or so it seems, but he's an important piece going forward.
Devon Toews- played in the minors and got hurt, but is a damn good offensive d-man. Not sure where the Isles are going to get ACTUAL defense from, but Toews could be another very good puck moving d-man for them next year. He's the only minor league guy I'll bother mentioning, because the rest are probably career minor leaguers. Can't believe his ELC got burned up. I think they intended to bring him up this year, but he got hurt and ruined the plans. 22 points in 30 games for Bridgeport.

No RFA goalies.

Interesting players in the system:
Bellows (F)
Ho-Sang (F)
David Quenneville (D)
Ilya Sorokin (G)- probably never coming over (KHL). :x

So, time to offer Tavares an 8 year deal for $12 million, while promising him they'll bring in a top tier UFA goalie (are there any?), and a defensive d-man or three. They already brought in his buddy Eberle, re-signed his other buddy Bailey, and he loves playing with Barzal, who may see more of opposing teams' top D next year after beating Tavares for the Isles top point producer (by 1 point), which would free up Tavares a little. If they can get a real #1 goalie and some defensive D, the Isles could actually be a good team. If.... Snow still seems to put no priority on the position he had played.

I think Snow & Weight are here to stay, unless Weight steps down (more likely aside, as he's already assistant GM). I can't see Ledecky & Malking firing Snow. If anything, Snow will become the new President they're supposedly looking for, and maybe Weight steps in as GM, and promotes one of his Edmonton buddies to head coach.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:17 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Snow stays hea? Thought he'd be good as gone after more than 10 seasons.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:05 pm 

Logical Progression wrote:
Snow stays hea? Thought he'd be good as gone after more than 10 seasons.

That's what all indications are from the owners. They seem to think he's got a long term plan, and they believe in him. I was a fan of his until 2 off-seasons ago when he put all his eggs in the Stamkos basket, without so much as contacting Okposo, Nielsen or Martin about staying. Once Stamkos re-signed with Tampa, Snow reached out to Nielsen, who obviously realized then why Snow waited so long, and was even more insulted. So Snow has fucked up since then. I think the only good move after that was getting Eberle for Strome.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:33 am 
Big in Japan

If the Isles bring back Tavares, pending RFA Nelson seems like an obvious candidate for a trade. Not worth the raise or the term, but talented enough that some team would take him on.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:52 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Quote:
#Isles co-owner Jon Ledecky makes statement, says team has failed, wants to have long-term success which means competing for Stanley Cup..
Then he leaves podium without taking questions.

https://twitter.com/AGrossNewsday/statu ... 9983372288

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:13 pm 
Big in Japan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:36 pm 

Ledecky also said the Isles are "evaluating" everything, and asks fans for time, since their season just ended the other day. Ummm, two weeks ago it was known by all that their season would end the other day. If you got caught by surprise on this, you shouldn't own a car, let alone a pro team, because your awareness isn't exactly on par with that of a chicken.

All I can say is, typical Islanders. Every time I think they've climbed out of the shit pit, a new owner does a fucking swan dive back into it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:55 pm 

Based on what Staple wrote, that was a strange and ridiculously awkward presser. Ledecky made his statement, then sat in the back of the room while Snow and Weight answered questions. A far cry from the guy who seemingly had complete faith in his guys just a few weeks ago. Just MHO but I think he's panicking a little because of their late-season collapse, but realizes the time to fire Snow was before the deadline.

On one hand, any sign of abrupt course-correction now may cost them Tavares. But I wonder if keeping Snow around would be the thing that does that. I can't imagine JT loves the job Garth has done in the near-decade he's been a part of the team.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:56 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Based on what Staple wrote, that was a strange and ridiculously awkward presser. Ledecky made his statement, then sat in the back of the room while Snow and Weight answered questions. A far cry from the guy who seemingly had complete faith in his guys just a few weeks ago. Just MHO but I think he's panicking a little because of their late-season collapse, but realizes the time to fire Snow was before the deadline.

On one hand, any sign of abrupt course-correction now may cost them Tavares. But I wonder if keeping Snow around would be the thing that does that. I can't imagine JT loves the job Garth has done in the near-decade he's been a part of the team.

No idea how true any of this is, but here are summaries of what I've read in the past few days on various Isles sites:
Ledecky was looking around for a President of Hockey Ops all year long, because he wanted someone with NHL connections and hockey knowledge to assess the job Snow has done. He couldn't find anyone he was happy with. Some say that's because Ledecky likes Snow, so he didn't like hearing people say the first thing they'd do is fire Snow. Also heard Ledecky considered moving Snow to President and looking for a new GM.
Heard Ledecky is Wanging the negotiations with Tavares, and basically speaking directly to him, rather than going through Snow. Some think that's an indication that Snow is close to being gone (but then why is he still here?), and others say it's Ledecky's way of keeping Snow around while doing the job for him. Who the fuck knows what is going on???
Supposedly Tavares and other Islanders really like Snow. But that doesn't mean they think he's doing a good job. If they think he is, then they either have to blame the coaches or themselves. I don't see anyone offering a pay cut for themselves, so they've got to be blaming someone up the ladder.

This whole thing is really pissing Isles fans off, and certainly can't be making Tavares want to stay. "Come for the hockey, but stay for the circus!"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:46 pm 
Big in Japan

SKA G Mikko Koskinen is rumoured to be coming over. Had a great regular season on a stacked K team. He's 6'6 and has a decent track record. Might solve their 'tending woes.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:51 pm 

Boy I don't recall the last time a former 1st round pick left the organization and then returned from Europe at age 29 to become a key cog, but I was always kinda hoping he was going to be an NHLer. Too bad they limited the size of pads, could you imagine if sported the Snow-era pads, but ratio'd up to fit his big frame!?!?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:59 pm 

E.L. wrote:
SKA G Mikko Koskinen is rumoured to be coming over. Had a great regular season on a stacked K team. He's 6'6 and has a decent track record. Might solve their 'tending woes.

I don't know. He sucked in his first stint with the Isles org, but then he supposedly had some injury issues. He didn't even do well in the AHL back then.
Obviously I HOPE he's the answer, but I'm sure as hell not betting on it. And if he's the big goalie move for the year, I'll start reading up on the 2019 draft studs now. I fear he is, as I certainly can't see him coming over for a 2-way deal. He's too old to be sent down without waivers right? So he's either the "big" goalie acquisition for this off-season or they're going back to the 3-headed goalie monster. If so, I'm going to put Isles goalie masks on a photo of "Fluffy" from the first Harry Potter movie.

No Tavares news yet. Yes, I've checked today. A few times.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:25 pm 

Now the story is that the Oilers have the inside track on Koskinen.
I'm hoping Sorokin's KHL team gets whooped and they all blame him, causing him to jump to the Isles. I need to start learning how to program, and in Russian no less. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:15 pm 

Now that the Koskinen thing is over with, The Islanders are supposedly among 4 NHL teams reported to be in contact with Emil Garipov, the KHL Gagarin Cup-winning goalie with Ak Bars Kazan.
This according to Art Staple.
He also reported earlier today that they were talking to Slava Voynov, which thankfully, he retracted later in the day. No thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:15 am 
Big in Japan

JVR won't be back in Toronto, and I expect the sorta-local teams to fight it out for the Jersey boy. Isles, Devils, Rangers and even the Flyers should be in on him.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:30 pm 

E.L. wrote:
JVR won't be back in Toronto, and I expect the sorta-local teams to fight it out for the Jersey boy. Isles, Devils, Rangers and even the Flyers should be in on him.

Isles fans are already crying into their "hometown discount" beers that JVR will wind up on the Isles, with Tavares going to Toronto. I don't see either happening. I could see JVR going to the Rangers or Devils. Isles need D and G. Unless of course they use current Forwards as trade pieces to bring in D & G, then go after some more F via FA.

that's a lot of initials. I'm lazy today. Don't like it? F. U.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:32 pm 

Isles fans are circulating 2 rumors today:
1. Lou Lamoriello is going to the Isles to work with his son.
2. Ilya Sorokin is talking directly with the Isles owners about coming over as early as this season, as long as he can get an opt out to go back to the KHL if things don't work out for him with the Isles. He's a true star in the KHL and has no plans to play in the AHL over here. That's what fans are saying anyway. Haven't read it anywhere besides in comments, posted by those who claim to "have friends who know the situation". Take that fwiw, which is usually nothing. But it's an interesting idea and could solve the Isles goalie issue. So if it's a made up rumor, it's a good one. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 11:19 pm 

Nothing at all to report, which of course means Isles fans are freaking the fuck out.

Things to freak out about, in no order at all:
Snow is still GM.
Weight is still coach.
Tavares still isn't signed.
They still don't have a goalie.
The D still sucks.
De Haan still isn't signed.
If JT leaves, Barzal is going to face the opposing teams' top D pairs and have a sophomore slump for sure. If he slumps & JT is gone, the team is fucked.
Lundqvist apparently said he'd love to have JT on the Rangers. That is horrifying.
They're going to have 2 home rinks for the next 3 years. One has shitty ice and horrible views. The other is a band box.
The Metro is still the best division in the league.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:26 am 
Big in Japan

Ex-Isle David Ullstrom signs a two-way deal in Glendale. http://arizonasports.com/story/1529105/ ... -contract/