OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bruins get licked
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:10 am 
Big in Japan

For all the controversy surrounding Marchand's psyche out tactics, the Bolts disposed of their division rivals pretty quickly.

Post subject: Re: Bruins get licked
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:11 am 
King of Men

Tampa was the better team. Secretly the NHL marketing loved the licking. Great year from the Bruins! Not quite sure what all the wretched officiating and weird faceoff shit was but whatever...at the end of the day you have to power through that.

Rick Nash was terrible with and without the puck. They can unload him at the nearest corner. As they can with Gionta, Wingels and Holden. Thanks for the ride gentlemen and good luck.

Get better Torey!

Sadly seeing this Tampa team return to 2004 form begs the question......where are the Flames? :wookie:

Firmly on the Jets wagon now!

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:23 am 
OTP Historian

For all the complaints about officiating, it's been pointed out that the B's did not score a 5-on-5 goal in the final 3 games. Special teams are important but its hard to win a series that way.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 11:16 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Tampa completely shut down the B's top line after game one -- and the Bruins depth was exposed when injuries started to mount. Not sure you can blame Rask, although you know heaps of blame will be thrown his way by Bruin fans.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 12:13 pm 
Big in Japan

:fry: :fry: :fry: :fry: :fry: :fry: :fry: :fry: :fry:

https://twitter.com/Bmarch63/status/993518846031073286

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 12:19 pm 

HAHA- he has a point !

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 12:46 pm 
Big in Japan

Logical Progression wrote:
HAHA- he has a point !

Easy target: bad team and an even worse Twitter account.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 1:58 pm 

E.L. wrote:
HAHA- he has a point !
Yeah, it's like, why go there?

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 2:14 pm 
Big in Japan

E.L. wrote:
HAHA- he has a point !
Yeah, it's like, why go there?

The Habs Twitter account, which has gone through a few people now, is consistently lousy, toothless and poorly written. Because the main goal is to communicate in French, they hire someone who's fluent in that language with just enough ability to translate. Invariably, when they try to match wits in their second language with other team accounts (like the salty LA and Vegas ones), they can't hang.

It's also a company-wide thing. Their entertainment and concert divisions have similarly cringe-worthy social media accounts.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:47 pm 
He of the red stockings

harmfuljays wrote:
Tampa was the better team. Secretly the NHL marketing loved the licking. Great year from the Bruins! Not quite sure what all the wretched officiating and weird faceoff shit was but whatever...at the end of the day you have to power through that.

Rick Nash was terrible with and without the puck. They can unload him at the nearest corner. As they can with Gionta, Wingels and Holden. Thanks for the ride gentlemen and good luck.

Get better Torey!

Sadly seeing this Tampa team return to 2004 form begs the question......where are the Flames? :wookie:

Firmly on the Jets wagon now!

Agreed! Go Jets! And Rick Nash gave them less than nothing ... what did Stastny cost?

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:04 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I think we can say this with reasonable confidence: Don Sweeney is a lousy GM.

I still honestly have no idea what kind of coach Bruce Cassidy is.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:39 pm 
Big in Japan

Really? I think the B's are set up nicely for the future. Drafted well recently.

Sweeney whiffed on his deadline rentals but nothing disastrous.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:20 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Really? I think the B's are set up nicely for the future. Drafted well recently.

Sweeney whiffed on his deadline rentals but nothing disastrous.

Sometimes I think it's fair to separate the GM from his scouting/draft/development staff. He obviously gets some credit for those people being there in the first place, but where that talent ends up is ultimately his call (other examples of bad GMs being buoyed by good draft/development teams are Murray in Anaheim and whoever the hell is in Philly at the moment). I think the Bruins, apart from the occasional Zboril/Senyshyn pick, have drafted pretty well. DeBrusk looks like a winner and McAvoy is going to be an absolute stud for years.

However...

I believe he was the GM of record when Matt Beleskey was signed to a deal everyone called atrocious from the get-go, I believe he was the GM of record when an already-old and injury prone David Backes was signed to a long-term deal, I believe he was the GM of record when Dougie Hamilton was dealt away for a handful of picks, and I believe he was the GM of record when the B's took the one good player to come out of the disastrous Seguin trade, Rielly Smith, and dealt him for Jimmy fucking Hayes (and yes, Marc Savard's dead contract but it still wasn't worth it), who was so gawdawful they ended up buying him out. I could be wrong on some of those things but I'm pretty confident those are all correct.

The B's culture is ultimately as outdated and broken as their owner (who is inexplicably in the Hockey Hall of Fame despite doing absolutely NOTHING to deserve the honor), they still love big, slow, overtly physical players even though the three elite talents that make up their top line are really none of those things. All their really awful moves (Rick Nash, Beleskey, Hayes, Backes) are all of those things. The only guy who fits that bill and is still ridiculously awesome is the ageless wonder who wears the C on that team.

So in short, it may not matter who has the title of GM in Boston so long as the old-fashioned guys in positions of power like Bucyk and Neely still control the general direction of the club, but if you're asking me if I think Sweeney has any real clue on how to build a winner in today's NHL, my answer at this point would be a resounding NO. Kinda tough for me to say bad things about ol' Don as I really liked him as a player.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:21 pm 

Oh and I just double-checked. Yeah, he was the GM at the time of all those moves.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:24 am 
King of Men

Blasphemy! We do not question the will of or the method of Cam Neely!!!!!! :doom: :viking: I think Neely is a smart guy that can see the change in the game. Sweeney's first moves were terrible but with the direction the team is moving in I can give him a pass for now.

However, let me agree with you on this. I think that the Bruins had a some luck of the irish this year.....they have been and will be committed to an aging core (Pastrnak excluded) of players that have a hard time keeping up with today's speed game. Always been a knock on the Bruins and will continue to be.

I think as you indicate the deadline pickups tell the tale there. However....all of those pickups were spare part rentals.

Then again maybe its pure transitional f'n genius. McAvoy, Carlo, Heinen, Donato, Debrusk are all on the cheap for next year as well. Assuming there will be about 10 Million to try and sign all those RFAs.

Backes could be another LTIR project....Bruins love those. And Chara will be playing for far less after next year.

In fact to ice the same team next year they really only need to float qualifiers to Gryzelck and and Kuraly (RFAs). They will also need potential negotiation with Riley Nash and Tim Schaller neither of which are integral. Khudobin was serviceable but needs new money as well.

So, even though I feel that this year's record was a bit of luck, I think they've finally recognized their weaknesses. Cassidy had the team dialed in and they have all the tools to transition properly (aka Detroit for years) if they keep going. I guess we will find out next year but as a fan I am happy with the direction.