OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 361 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Frustration
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:28 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I guess it stemmed from some incident in practice where Kane and his Sabrejet buddy Zach "IR" Bogosian got tangled up and, of course, Bogosian got hurt. Again. But really, it was bound to happen anyway, wouldn't have mattered if Kane had accidentally taken him out or he tripped over a stray hair in the shower.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:32 pm 

I may be wrong but I think Botterill overplayed his hand, now he's likely gonna get table scraps for Kane and absolutely nothing for an injured Robin Lehner.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:32 pm 
Big in Japan

Should've traded Kane the second he knew the guy wasn't coming back. You're a new GM in year one, you can afford to deal him for futures.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:57 pm 
Big in Japan

Casey Mittelstadt signs an entry-level deal. Lost season but hopefully they'll be able to purge themselves of all the bad parts and start anew with all these talented young players.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:52 pm 

Some bad luck (typical for Buffalo) involved in his deal. Since he's a late birthday the league sees him as a 20-year-old, even though he's only 19. That means a year of his ELC gets burned no matter what.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:57 am 
Big in Japan

Honest truth from O'Reilly about the team's low morale. Sounds like the unfiltered words of a man who knows he's on the block.

http://buffalonews.com/2018/04/09/sabre ... toughness/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:05 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

E.L. wrote:
Honest truth from O'Reilly about the team's low morale. Sounds like the unfiltered words of a man who knows he's on the block.

http://buffalonews.com/2018/04/09/sabre ... toughness/

Ha. Never seen a guy throw out such a blatant "a change of scenery trade would be a fucking steal for your team!" advertisement. Brilliant move.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:52 pm 

I'm largely ambivalent on Ryan O'Reilly these days. I don't normally hold a guy's contract against him, but that was a contract he fought tooth and nail for, to the point where he started one season in the KHL and even signed an offer sheet from another team to force Colorado's hand. Ultimately, they decided they didn't want to pay him that much and traded him. He wanted superstar money, and he got it. Now he needs to produce superstar results. If you wanted to be a franchise cornerstone, then be a franchise cornerstone. I really appreciate the honesty, but this is a situation partially of his own making.

I'm fine with the return as well, even though Grigorenko went bust and I believe J.T. Compher has limited upside. Nikita Zadorov has been a revelation this season, he's essentially been the player the Avs were hoping they'd get when they signed a broken-down Francois Beauchemin for three seasons. Ironically, he's a player the Sabres really could've used this season.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:53 pm 
Big in Japan

Buffalo sounds like they'll be major free agent players this offseason, including Tavares and Carlson.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:35 am 

E.L. wrote:
Buffalo sounds like they'll be major free agent players this offseason, including Tavares and Carlson.

Boy that really doesn't seem like the right approach. Oh well what do I know...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:48 pm 
Big in Japan

Buffalo adds prized NCAA undrafted prospect Andrew Oglevie, who put up a couple of great seasons at Notre Dame.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:04 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

E.L. wrote:
Buffalo adds prized NCAA undrafted prospect Andrew Oglevie, who put up a couple of great seasons at Notre Dame.

Please confirm that he's called Ogie Oglevie. And has a fro. If not, I hate him.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:13 pm 

Not often I agree with a hit piece but I think this one absolutely nails it.

http://buffalonews.com/2018/04/14/insid ... n-oreilly/

I try not to let a player's contract affect my assessment of said player one way or another. It's impossible to do so with O'Reilly, since he pushed as hard as a player possibly can to get it. And for a guy whose dad says he's worth it not because of his ability, but because of his character, color me unimpressed. My sympathy for his situation grows less with each passing day. Hard to be a leader when you've spent the majority of your career guided by your own self-interest.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:45 am 
Big in Japan

Sabres add the Swedish league's top native-born blueliner in Lawrence Pilut. Puck moving type, will need to see if he can handle smaller ice.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:02 am 
Big in Japan

The Sabres can now build around Eichel, Dahlin and Middlestadt. Not bad.

First up: letting Lehner go

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:04 am 

E.L. wrote:
The Sabres can now build around Eichel, Dahlin and Middlestadt. Not bad.

First up: letting Lehner go

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:15 pm 

Let the Ryan O'Reilly watch begin...

https://twitter.com/buffa82/status/1012 ... 5784766464

Quote:
#STLBlues, keep your pants on, but I’m hearing from an anonymous source that Ryan O’Reilly is done in Buffalo.

Blues and Canadiens in play. O’Reilly’s locker is cleaned up and scrubbed. He’s gone.

Possible package going to BUFF: Thomas, Anderson, 2019 first round pick.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:11 am 

And there it is: Ryan O’Reilly for a 2019 1st, a 2021 2nd, prospect Tage Thompson, Vladimir Sobotka, and Patrik Berglund.

Geez...the Sabres were willing to accept that bag of shit just so they didn’t have to pay the massive bonus ROR was due!?

And short-term at least, the Sabres have to pay MORE because Sobotka and Berglund make more combined than O’Reilly.

This is a salary dump and a poorly-executed one at that. Reportedly Montreal was told it’d take three first rounders to get him, which if true is ridiculous.

Can’t tell if this is the Pegulas decreeing that O’Reilly be banished ASAP or if they just wanted to get out from under this contract, either Botterill is a lousy GM or the Pegulas are shitty owners. You can’t tell me a better package for one of the better two-way players in the league with some teams DESPERATE for a top-tier pivot wasn’t available.

Oh well, maybe Dahlin turns this thing around and Eichel stays healthy.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:28 am 
Big in Japan

This is a weird trade to digest. The cap dump part is pretty bad, but they could also move those two smaller contracts at any time.

They got a 1st, a former 1st in Tage who'll be there a while, and a 2nd. As long as the dumps don't make cap problems for them, it's a good but not great haul.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:40 pm 

Tage is a big kid who may pan out as a third line grinder but not much more than that IMO. He ran pretty hot and cold in the AHL but did little at the NHL Level. He’s a 2016 first rounder so he’s still pretty young but you would’ve thunk he’d be making bigger waves by now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 361 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 19  Next