OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:12 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... am/556853/

The short, sordid history of the Danbury Trashers. Our own Chris18 took his little one to at least one of their games if I recall correctly.

It's funny that "gooning it up" to the Nth degree actually kinda worked. Chiarelli would probably look at this and say "See? I told you this strategy is effective!"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:27 pm 
OTP Historian

So you aren't aware of the "View New Posts" button.

Or hell, just look at the top of the this forum :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3781#p110427

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:32 pm 

Pffffffft...my post is better! :chef:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:51 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Pokecheque wrote:
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2018/05/the-mobster-who-bought-his-teenage-son-a-hockey-team/556853/

The short, sordid history of the Danbury Trashers. Our own Chris18 took his little one to at least one of their games if I recall correctly.

It's funny that "gooning it up" to the Nth degree actually kinda worked. Chiarelli would probably look at this and say "See? I told you this strategy is effective!"

Yes, I did take Miss18.1 to a Trashers game. I have a foul mouth. No fucking doubt about that shit... Those people made me blush. The shit they yelled... Miss18.1 was probably 3-4 at the time. I think I moved 3 times to get away from the psychos. I started near the infamous Section 102. Move way to the side... We wound up on the far side of the arena (had to jump over barriers to get there), and the rink is so small you could still hear it all loud & clear. There were parents with their own YOUNG kids calling opposing players pussy, cocksucker, etc. I asked one guy wtf was wrong with him and he told me "this is what hockey is about! Go back to your baseball diamond." I asked who he played for and imagine that, he never even skated. :roll:

I still think the logo was kind of cool though. :lol: But yeah, they were scary. On the ice, in the stands, etc. AND, Brent Gretzky said hi to Miss18.1 while I was on the ice with my team. His nose was so broken she screamed and cried. :lol: My wife was like "Shhhh! That's the Great One's brother!" :lol:

I've heard their jerseys are worth a lot on Ebay.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:40 am 
OTP Historian

It was only on reading this article that I learned they were the Trashers and not the Thrashers. Love the name.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:11 am 

I can't believe a Mafioso with a waste disposal business bought a hockey team, named it after the business, and gave it to his 17-year-old son. If someone came up to David Chase with that idea for a plotline in The Sopranos he'd have waved it off as too ridiculous.

And is Danbury that much of a shithole? It's like 40 minutes from New Canaan!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:10 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
I can't believe a Mafioso with a waste disposal business bought a hockey team, named it after the business, and gave it to his 17-year-old son. If someone came up to David Chase with that idea for a plotline in The Sopranos he'd have waved it off as too ridiculous.

And is Danbury that much of a shithole? It's like 40 minutes from New Canaan!

Danbury has its shitty parts and very nice parts. The area around the rink has lots of run down Victorian houses as the author says. Drive 10 minutes in any direction and you'll hit very well restored Victorians, 5 minutes beyond that and you've got McMansions and whatever else comes with upper middle class America. Probably only 5 minutes in a few directions. Imagine this- the real estate where they put a 40k sq ft double rink is in the shitty part of town, where real estate is cheap. :lol: It's actually only 1 street behind the main drag of Danbury which is hit or miss as far as "niceness".

And yeah, New Canaan.... First time we went to play out there Miss18.1 said "look at all these hotels!" I was like "uhhh, those are houses kid. HUGE houses."

And I have to say, it was quite an interesting theory to get all the tough guys and intimidate the hell out of all other teams. :lol: Granted, they wouldn't have been able to afford it without paying them for no-show jobs, but still an interesting idea. Searching hockeydb for certain stats and such... He should write a book on it- Blood Money Ball.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:14 pm 

Holy shit sandwich. http://deadline.com/2018/04/the-trashers-danbury-hockey-team-17-year-old-manager-feature-film-movie-1202378227/

I was wondering why this story was suddenly getting so much publicity. Priming the money pump. But this should be very interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:13 am 

Netflix has an Untold episode on the Trashers. https://decider.com/2021/08/31/untold-c ... ix-review/

I'll watch it one of these days.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:08 am 

Chris18 wrote:
Netflix has an Untold episode on the Trashers. https://decider.com/2021/08/31/untold-c ... ix-review/

I'll watch it one of these days.

Watched it. I can't believe they were only around 1 season because I remember so many of these stories. Felt like it had to have been a few years.
I also remember some of those fans from the 1 period or so that I was at a game. That's a hell of an impact, even if it's for the wrong reasons. :lol: