OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:10 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

The amount of Gudbranson tire-pumping being done from all over the continent is absolutely astounding. I could see the Leafs making a trade for him and immediately regretting it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:44 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Beating Boston last night with Matthews out is nice. Odd goal to win it but as I said to the ten year old Bruin fan pal of by Son during the review "month ago definite no goal now it is 50/50" lol so yes now I just don't know anymore.

Marner looks like an offensive powerhouse now. Funny the speed of the NHL looked to have caught up with him during the 1st third of the season and was a little worried for him to be honest. Just seemed he was getting closed off and/or skating into dead ends far to much. But it seems like he had another level of growth in him yet.

Deadline approaches do not imagine the Leafs have much more interest than bargain shopping at crunch time for a depth C or D. The talk of them selling a player like JVR for prospects and picks seems ridiculous but one some fans and some media seem to still talk about. They are a good team now and sure one of the hardest divisions to come out of this year with Tampa and Boston, but regardless of that they are in contention now.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:12 am 
King of the One-Liner

How are outdoor games still a thing? Is the extra gate really worth the horrible TV presentation?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:43 am 
OTP Historian

Hounsy wrote:
How are outdoor games still a thing? Is the extra gate really worth the horrible TV presentation?

They are pretty fun to attend. Awesome atmosphere at the two that I've been to.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:39 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Just seems the last two outdoors games I watched with this Leaf game and the Jr's game they both seemed particularly brutal to look at on the screen. With a national US broadcast have no idea how a casual viewer flipping channels had any idea what was going on as I could at times not tell what was going on.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:44 pm 

Horrid camera angles, weird-looking ice, it was really tough to watch. Players always look like they're going at half-speed during these games.

And I get what they were trying to do but white hockey pants are the worst. They look like giant diapers to me.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:20 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Yeah, uni looked awful.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:31 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Pokecheque wrote:
Horrid camera angles, weird-looking ice, it was really tough to watch. Players always look like they're going at half-speed during these games.

And I get what they were trying to do but white hockey pants are the worst. They look like giant diapers to me.

Yep! Used to play with a kid who had white pants. We always called him Pampers or Huggies. Especially once the player falls and they get wet. Just awful.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:57 am 
Chaser, Wearer of Skirts

Hounsy wrote:

Not a fan. The only one that I've been to kinda sucked(was only partially outdoor as it was in BC Place, which isn't really outdoors.) Went with two lovely ladies, which were much more entertaining than the game itself.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:58 am 
Chaser, Wearer of Skirts

Didn't like the Leafs uniforms.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:10 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Matthews is back! Talk about D-men all you want but protecting a lead is so much easier with a Center who dominates the puck.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:38 pm 

Funny thing, the Leafs top line isn't quite as "dominant" on the puck as you'd expect. They're fantastic, especially AM34, but the underlying numbers don't quote belie the same high performance as the scoresheet suggests.

https://theathletic.com/281474/2018/03/ ... -dominant/

I think part of this is the fact that team defense (or to paraphrase Babs, fun but dumb) isn't where they'd like it to be, but I think part of it is that Babs loves putting a pure grinder with his scorers, and next year he should probably rethink that strategy. With so much young talent to choose from I'd like to see him put someone like, say, Kapanen, or even Johnsson on the opposite wing (if they choose to keep Nylander with Matthews that is) and see what happens. Hyman's a good player but I still think he'd be better off on the 3rd/4th line.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:54 am 
King of the One-Liner

They are going to lose some experienced forward depth this off season so would think they still run Hyman with Matthews again.

Matthews knows how to play the score and not panic at the same time a surprisingly tough thing to do.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:23 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Great season. With 105 pts.

But it is Tampa or Boston in the first round. :chairshot:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:42 pm 

Ridiculous how much young talent this roster has. Just an embarrassment of riches up front.

That's why I don't think it'll take a Marner or Nylander to get an upgrade on D as has been rumbled about for years now. But to be honest I don't see a huge upgrade to be had out there anyway, so they should just stick with Rielly/Gardiner/Dermott/Carrick and hopefully Zaitsev will find his form again. And of course they got Liljegren in the AHL.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:08 am 
King of the One-Liner

This team across the board has this thing where they suddenly attack the puck carrier at the top of the circle sometime creating 2 on 1's out of 2 on 2's in the process or like last night completely hanging out your goalie for an empty net tap in. Been bugging me for a few months wondering if it is the "plan" or bad decision making by many but yesterday it really bit them in the Ass hard.

Still nice saying "always next year" in late April and losing to what I see as a legit powerhouse team right now.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:50 am 

It was a hell of a season, and they've got a great, young core. They'll be contenders for years.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:51 am 
King of the One-Liner

I've had my issues with Gardner for years. Maybe these goat horns will straighten him out. Nonchalant lack of hustle retrieving pucks and poor risk taking have always been in his game.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:23 pm 

Minor (literally) news - starting next year the Leafs' ECHL affiliate will be...THE NEWFOUNDLAND GROWLERS.

https://www.bardown.com/team-name-for-n ... -1.1069954

I'm sure Stink is absolutely thrilled.

I thought they didn't want minor league hockey in St. John's anymore, everyone kept bitching about how hard it is to get there. Guess it's not that big a deal.

I am assuming this means that the Orlando Solar Bears are now in search for an NHL team (incidentally, so are the Greenville Swamp Rabbits...love that name BTW) who got dumped by the Rangers in favor of the new and very boringly named Maine Mariners.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:57 pm 

How many growlers of beer did someone drink before choosing that name? :rimcrash:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next