OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:55 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

A fun start to the series. Avs actually took it to the Perds for nearly 2 periods, then sputtered in the third. Filip Forsberg was once again an Avs-killer (remember, he was picked by Washington with the 1st rounder garnered from the Avs in the Varly deal) with two goals, the 2nd one you have no doubt seen countless times on replays. It was that good. Can't really get mad at Sam Girard for that one.

Overall, 19-year-old Sammy was otherwise stellar, taking on a HUGE defensive role and excelling, and also doing the legwork to set up the Avs' 2nd goal from Blake Comeau. Insanely talented kid, and the Preds were relentless in taking runs at him all night.

Power play was not good, and you simply can't not score when Nashville gives you back-to-back power plays. Way too hesitant, way too fancy. Shoot the goddamn puck.

I thought the top line was good for the most part. MacKinnon had a wonderful pass play to Rants who then set up Zadorov for the game's first goal. It was a good, albeit fleeting feeling to stun the local crowd like that.

A bit of controversy, Ryan Johansen laid a big hit on Tyson Barrie as he was shooting and caught him high. Barrie didn't appear to be injured afterwards but seemed a bit...off the rest of the night. At first glance I didn't think it was that dirty BUT, if the league is serious about getting these types of knocks out of the game and Doughty's hit on Carrier warranted a suspension, so does this.

Jonathan Bernier was...not good. Gave up an inexcusably bad goal from Austin Watson at a bad angle, and while the rest of the goals weren't bad per se (nothing he could've done on the Forsberg deflection), he didn't make any big stops either. It's probably not fair to compare him to the likely Vezina winner at the other end of the ice, but dude needs to step it up.

Of course Bernier's disappointing performance didn't come anywhere near the absolute disaster on skates that was Mark Barberio last night. Dude was horrible from start to finish and directly responsible for one of the Preds goals, and he knew it too. I wouldn't mind them benching him, but the other two options (Alt and Siemens) aren't exactly stellar either. Career AHLer David Warsofsky was surprisingly good, as was Patrik Nemeth.

I'm reading now on Twitter that Spencer Martin is being called up, so that can't be good news on the goaltending front. :fffffuck:

I hope Tomas Jurco heads somewhere this offseason where he gets a bad case of diarrhea. Fuck that fucking tool.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:28 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Good start for the Avs but Preds eventually rounded into form. That double nutmeg by Forsberg on the Preds 4th goal was absolutely insane.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:03 am 

So, game 2 unfortunately ends up being another loss, yet still a spirited affair. Avs lose Sam Girard to an upper-body injury (PLEASE don't be a concussion) before the game, so Sask's boy Duncan Siemens draws in. Avs once again score on their first shot, this time it's former Pred Gabriel Bourque who scores.

Unfortunately, Avs serve up two goals on ridiculous errors, one, a too-many-men penalty, and the other a clumsy attempt to avoid a too-many-men penalty. Also, Bernier gives up another weak goal from a shot near the circle on his glove side. No excuses, YOU HAVE TO HAVE THAT ONE. BUT, somehow even after that they kept fighting back. I'm hoping they clean up the dumb errors and continue as hard as they've been. I'll give this team credit though, they've still played far, far better hockey than I ever dared possible in this series. The Preds are just THAT good.

And while Nashville has gotten some calls that were perhaps embellished a bit (Austin Watson got called for it), those were legit penalties. Andrighetto and Nieto shouldn't let themselves get goaded into rough stuff like that.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:08 pm 

Maybe every year it's the same, but seems the embellishment quotient has gone up this year over past playoffs -- Honqvist and Kesler come to mind, but it seems like overall players are trying to draw the principle point of contact with a head snap flourish at the end of taking a hit. Man I hate that shit.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:25 am 
King of Men

Great they won a game. Now to address the elephant in the room. Why the hell were the Avs fans booing Suban so loud before he mounted McKinnon? What has this guy ever done to some bloke in Colorado or on Colorado? I get it why they do it back east.

Let me put it to you this way.....a bunch of white people in Colorado who have very little to no reason....boo the only brother repeatedly on the Predators....or maybe even in the playoffs.

It looks bad and it looked really bad before PK resorted to Montreal PK and gave ol McKinnon the forearm shiver. So bad that even Haynes and McNabb commented on it. But do you think its because the fans had already gotten to him so he was like screw it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCds9GDzDIQ

Over the years PK has relished playing the villain...its a shame he had to prove the Avs fans right.

Look Colorado, some Nashville fans are ass hats. They've got enthusiasm they just need some refinement......keep it classy and show them how hockey fans are supposed to act.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:58 pm 

I've never liked or endorsed booing a player every time the puck lands on his stick, it was even inane when they did it to Bertuzzi.

The punch to the back of the head was unconscionable but the Avs handled it the right way (well, MacKinnon kept messing with Subban and PK frickin' LOST it). I think the incessant jawing on the way to the box combined with the replay on the VERY big jumbotron in Pepsi Center sent Avs fans over the top. He is their designated villain. I don't think it's race-related as if it were someone like Ellis or Watson (both of whom I think are far, FAR bigger punks than Subban) they'd have booed him as well. But still...not a great look.

What was inexcusable was giving the fan who snuck the catfish in a beer shower after he threw it on the ice. Who the fuck cares if some random doofus wants to throw seafood onto the ice!? Let them. At that point it was super-lame and kinda pathetic anyway, as the Avs had a commanding lead. It's an empty, silly gesture. If some guy wants to travel all the way from Music City with a smelly rotting fish in tow, that says more about him than anything else.

All that said...last night was an amazing game to watch. Preds keep trying to bully and brawl their way through this series in the hopes it will cow the Avs, and they're just getting more fired up. If any team lost their composure last night, it was the Preds. There was one sequence where someone bounced a pass to Arvidsson off his skate and he was visibly frustrated to the point where Haynes and McNab made fun of him. :lol:

And MY GOD the Preds are frickin' whiny babies. Empty net, Landeskog and MacKinnon get a clean break for the net, Ellis blatantly hooks Landy from behind and keeps him from scoring. Refs, as are the rules, award a goal. Both Josi and Ellis argue like kids that just got their allowance taken away. :roll: Unreal. BTW...it was Josi and Ellis who were on the ice when Landy forced Mr. Carrie Underwood to cough up the puck and dish it right to MacKinnon who got behind the two and scorched Rinne for his first goal of the game. That was a thing of beauty.

Anyway, I still don't think the Avs take this series, I was just hoping they'd take one game. The fact they have been in every single game of the series thus far is more than I or any other Avs fan have any right to ask for.

Two things the Avs MUST do if they have any hope of advancing:
1. Quit icing the goddamn puck every chance you get when you're in trouble. This team has too much speed and skill to play like that. It doesn't help that the Avs are the worst faceoff team in the NHL by a very wide margin. There were a ton of close calls in the 3rd, that's just ridiculous.

2. Avs have to find a way to get the power play going. Lost in the victory is the fact they went 0-for-5 with the man-advantage. The Preds' Achilles heel is their penchant for taking lots and lots of penalties, more than any other team in the league this year. They could have put the game way out of reach but kept Nashville hanging around way too long.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:49 pm 
King of Men

Pokecheque wrote:
What was inexcusable was giving the fan who snuck the catfish in a beer shower after he threw it on the ice. Who the fuck cares if some random doofus wants to throw seafood onto the ice!? Let them. At that point it was super-lame and kinda pathetic anyway, as the Avs had a commanding lead. It's an empty, silly gesture. If some guy wants to travel all the way from Music City with a smelly rotting fish in tow, that says more about him than anything else.

All that said...last night was an amazing game to watch. Preds keep trying to bully and brawl their way through this series in the hopes it will cow the Avs, and they're just getting more fired up. If any team lost their composure last night, it was the Preds. There was one sequence where someone bounced a pass to Arvidsson off his skate and he was visibly frustrated to the point where Haynes and McNab made fun of him. :lol:

And MY GOD the Preds are frickin' whiny babies. Empty net, Landeskog and MacKinnon get a clean break for the net, Ellis blatantly hooks Landy from behind and keeps him from scoring. Refs, as are the rules, award a goal. Both Josi and Ellis argue like kids that just got their allowance taken away. :roll: Unreal. BTW...it was Josi and Ellis who were on the ice when Landy forced Mr. Carrie Underwood to cough up the puck and dish it right to MacKinnon who got behind the two and scorched Rinne for his first goal of the game. That was a thing of beauty.

Anyway, I still don't think the Avs take this series, I was just hoping they'd take one game. The fact they have been in every single game of the series thus far is more than I or any other Avs fan have any right to ask for.

Two things the Avs MUST do if they have any hope of advancing:
1. Quit icing the goddamn puck every chance you get when you're in trouble. This team has too much speed and skill to play like that. It doesn't help that the Avs are the worst faceoff team in the NHL by a very wide margin. There were a ton of close calls in the 3rd, that's just ridiculous.

2. Avs have to find a way to get the power play going. Lost in the victory is the fact they went 0-for-5 with the man-advantage. The Preds' Achilles heel is their penchant for taking lots and lots of penalties, more than any other team in the league this year. They could have put the game way out of reach but kept Nashville hanging around way too long.

Wow....didn't see that...that's policing their own! :beer: :woop: My wife is on the Avs Bandwagon full steam and we said the same thing last night. Poor bastard probably had a stinky fish in his drawers for a long time and they were clearly out of it. I don't see the harm either if some jack wagon is going to haul around a carcass but do that shit in your own barn or else! :clint:

I think I was more concerned that they were all over Subban from the beginning of the game and it looked really bad. But Subban fixed that!

All said I am impressed by the AVs...I didn't give them a chance but you are right they have been in every game and they are frustrating the Preds. The Avs PP looks a lot like the Flames....predictable and little movement....get the puck to NMK for a shot. They really need someone in Rinne's face on the PP. Would love to see them win another one but something tells me they won't........ :kraken:

It really is too bad what they've done to the Avs in this town....my old girl drove to at least 10 different stores looking for Avs gear......and no its not because they were sold out.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:45 am 

Avs picked a bad night to play their worst game of the series. Completely lackluster throughout, took two penalties right away and hung on for deal life for an extended 5-on-3, killed it off but just never got it going, went down 3-0 going into the third. Once again, the power play was just nonexistent, finally scoring on a 5-on-3 on the other side of the ice.

The Preds that won that glass trophy FINALLY showed up and were utterly relentless.

Despite that, the Avs still somehow made a game of it, making it a 3-2 game and Wilson rang the potential game-tying goal off the post. In the end it was too little, too late but

The other bit of bad news--the Avs might now be down to their THIRD goalie. Andrew "The Hamburglar" Hammond had to come into the third because Jonathan Bernier was out with an LBI. Can't really blame him for this one, he kept a lackluster Avs team in it, and didn't let anything past on the 2-man advantage to start the game, but I'd say all three goals he let in were kinda questionable. Especially the latter two. The third and GWG was one he absolutely HAD to have.

Rinne was good but really wasn't challenged until the third period.

So...it's literally a must-win game on Friday in Nashville. Guess we'll see what happens.

One big reason the Avs power play has been so, well, powerless--the entire right side of it is playing like utter horsecrap. Both Mikko Rantanen and Tyson Barrie have had a really awful postseason thus far, Rants especially. Didn't register a single shot on goal. I think he's playing through some sort of injury because he looks so very off right now. As for Barrie, it was a horrid d-zone turnover by him that led to the 2nd goal. Overall he's just been fighting the puck the whole time, never really setting into a rhythm.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:03 pm 

Ahhhhh...Avs haven't disclosed anything but apparently Mikko Rantanen has had his left hand wrapped for quite some time, which would explain why he is super-hesitant to shoot and can't corral passes to save his life. Man, that sucks.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:43 pm 

Hammond to start game 5. Bernier's injury more serious than first thought.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:58 pm 

Logical Progression wrote:
Hammond to start game 5. Bernier's injury more serious than first thought.

*sigh*

Well, no offense to Berns, who has been way better than anyone had any right to hope, but I'm not certain that Hammond is a massive downgrade at this point. He didn't let a goal in during the period he played in relief last night, but he still looked kinda shaky on some shots and left a GIGANTIC rebound on the doorstep that thankfully got cleared. Even so, Bernier has not been very good in this series. In every single game he's given up weak goals on fairly bad angles. I kinda hope the Avs are looking elsewhere for goaltending help next year. He's filled in admirably, but he's neither good enough nor durable enough to warrant further investment.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:00 pm 
Big in Japan

Just hook that Filip Forsberg goal into my veins.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:03 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Just hook that Filip Forsberg goal into my veins.

I still look at that and see Duncan Siemens with a weak-as-all-hell defensive play to let him just walk to the front of the net and score. Dude was billed as big, physical, and fast. He wasn't any of those things right there. We all know he's a bust but...dude, YOU HAD ONE JOB. HIT PEOPLE. At least Sam Girard made it look kinda hard.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:06 pm 
Big in Japan

One way the game has changed is with slashing rules and such, fast guys can just blow right through the offensive zone and slower physical defencemen are just helpless.

The Habs literally stocked up on heavy guys who can clog up the centre of the ice right before those types of players became obsolete.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:31 pm 

So everyone knows it's Hamburglar Time (robble robble) on Friday, apparently Bednar said at his presser today that Bernier had been trying to battle through something (would explain a few things) and then took a stick to the "groin area." He had an awkward pause and a smile between "groin" and "area" so people kinda got the gist. :o :x

Ryan Hartman gets a game for a hit to the head of Carl Soderberg. Soda missed most of the game afterwards, MacKinnon double-shifted with Comeau and Nieto after that, but returned near the end.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:50 pm 
OTP Clown

E.L. wrote:
One way the game has changed is with slashing rules and such, fast guys can just blow right through the offensive zone and slower physical defencemen are just helpless.

The Habs literally stocked up on heavy guys who can clog up the centre of the ice right before those types of players became obsolete.

I like these new rules.

I hate the habs.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:50 pm 

Stinky wrote:
E.L. wrote:

I like these new rules.

I hate the habs.

In other news...P.K. one of the finalists for the Norris.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:46 am 

I'll let Nathan MacKinnon speak for me on tonight's game...

https://streamable.com/x558t

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:12 am 

So who wins tonight?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:09 pm 

Well that solves that.