OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 462 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:32 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

It is weird that a fanbase is so utterly divided when it comes to a leadership group that has been an abject failure from pretty much the beginning.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/peo ... al-enough/

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:37 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Pokecheque wrote:
It is weird that a fanbase is so utterly divided when it comes to a leadership group that has been an abject failure from pretty much the beginning./
What makes you say that Av? Was it the quote below? Do you actually believe it, or was that just an attempt at polarization? Doesn't seem to be much division in the market about the leadership group from my perspective. Hard to argue against the facts.

Quote:
There was a conversation a couple of weeks ago about whether or not people were being overly negative about the Canucks. I’d argue the opposite – for a variety of reasons people have actually gone too easy on them, and it’s played a role in why things have deteriorated to this point.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:27 am 

Logical Progression wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:
What makes you say that Av? Was it the quote below? Do you actually believe it, or was that just an attempt at polarization? Doesn't seem to be much division in the market about the leadership group from my perspective. Hard to argue against the facts.

I dunno, I feel like if the fans were truly turning against the Canucks we would've seen Benning, and maybe even Linden, removed. Maybe it's because of the people I'm following on Twitter but there are a lot of vocal proponents for Lindenning. I think part of it is the fact that this team may very well be drafting better than it ever has been (even though there have still been a couple high-profile whiffs), the relative consensus that they got the right right coach hired, and their improbable hot start at the beginning of the year. Even I thought for a while they were going to just peter out into mediocrity like Florida did for so many years, but the results have actually been far worse.

I don't mean to imply there's been a lot of infighting amongst Canucks fans, but there does appear to be a pretty sharp divide, at least more than there usually is when a team is mired in a death spiral like this. You don't see anyone really defending the Sens brass, but then again Ottawa has a cartoon villain in charge of their team, whereas the guy just one step removed from the owner himself is one of the most beloved figures in franchise history.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:56 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:
I dunno, I feel like if the fans were truly turning against the Canucks we would've seen Benning, and maybe even Linden, removed. Maybe it's because of the people I'm following on Twitter but there are a lot of vocal proponents for Lindenning. I think part of it is the fact that this team may very well be drafting better than it ever has been (even though there have still been a couple high-profile whiffs), the relative consensus that they got the right right coach hired, and their improbable hot start at the beginning of the year. Even I thought for a while they were going to just peter out into mediocrity like Florida did for so many years, but the results have actually been far worse.

I don't mean to imply there's been a lot of infighting amongst Canucks fans, but there does appear to be a pretty sharp divide, at least more than there usually is when a team is mired in a death spiral like this. You don't see anyone really defending the Sens brass, but then again Ottawa has a cartoon villain in charge of their team, whereas the guy just one step removed from the owner himself is one of the most beloved figures in franchise history.
Guess we run in different media circles. From virtually every single Twitter feed I follow, the derision is almost unanimous. I also listen to TSN 1040 radio daily which is equally harsh in it's criticism. Granted I don't really follow a lot of 'fans' per se. Just the usual Nucks Misconduct, Canucks Army, Pass it to Bulis, the radio and their personalities. But I also happen to think that most fans don't know what the hell they are talking about -- so I just tune them out.

For me what speaks loudest are ticket sales. If I were to summarize the current sentiment of Canuck nation in one word, it would be indifference. Nobody's going to the games anymore. Pairs of lower bowl tickets are going for $20-$30 which is unheard of in this market. The final stretch is going to be ugly.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:56 pm 
Big in Japan

Gaudette signs. C'mon, things aren't so bad in Vancouver!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:20 pm 

Been 6 years now since the Canucks won the President's Trophy and were ousted in round 1 in 5 games to the eventually SCC LA Kings. This rebuild has been slow. Some would say too slow.

Alas, there is a glimmer of light on the horizon which comes in the form of Horvat, Boeser, Demko, Pettersson (J. Dahlin) and now Gaudette.

The Canucks will suck again next year but will be marginally better. 2-3 years from being back in playoff contention. That is to say, IF they manage to weave some magic into that blue line.

Rebuilds are tougher than I originally thought. There is no magic formula -- unless you get lucky.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:22 pm 

https://theathletic.com/297743/2018/04/ ... xt-season/

Hmmmmm...well, I guess if the Canucks make no free agency dips (yeah right)...

Leipsic - Horvat - Boeser
Baertschi - Gagner - Eriksson
Goldobin - Sutter - Virtanen
Archibald - Gaudette - Gaunce

Del Zotto - Tanev
Stecher - Pouliot
Edler - Gudbranson

Markstrom/Nilsson

That's not even really counting players who might stick around like Jokinen, nor does it take into account players who might make the jump next year like Pettersson and Demko.

So...yeah, that ain't good. And frankly I think Vancouver just needs to pull the plug on Jake Virtanen. Dude's a bust, plain and simple, and I don't care if it was an honest mistake or not, it was his carelessness and general dumbassery that led to the team's best hope for a franchise cornerstone going forward suffering a serious, season-ending injury. Just get rid of him already.

Sure hope they just stand pat at least, maybe dump some players (I am assuming they will do just that with Hutton) and ride it out, no big signings. That ain't a good team but the tank's gonna happen regardless, may as well save that extra $14 million that's coming off the books after Game 82.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:44 pm 
Big in Japan

I guess I'm a little surprised the Sedins didn't want to wait for Pettersson, but I guess some kid you don't know wouldn't be the reason to keep going after 18 years.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:11 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
https://theathletic.com/297743/2018/04/03/what-will-the-canucks-look-like-without-the-sedins-next-season/

Hmmmmm...well, I guess if the Canucks make no free agency dips (yeah right)...

Leipsic - Horvat - Boeser
Baertschi - Gagner - Eriksson
Goldobin - Sutter - Virtanen
Archibald - Gaudette - Gaunce

Del Zotto - Tanev
Stecher - Pouliot
Edler - Gudbranson

Markstrom/Nilsson

That's not even really counting players who might stick around like Jokinen, nor does it take into account players who might make the jump next year like Pettersson and Demko.

Juolevi, Dahlen may also make the jump. Think Juolevi will need some time in the AHL but he has shown marked improvement this year. Dahlen could start the season in the NHL or come part way through. Of course when the team wins the lottery I expect Dahlin to start for the team as well. 5 rookies opening night would be great! :toot:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:06 am 

Fogghorn wrote:
Juolevi, Dahlen may also make the jump. Think Juolevi will need some time in the AHL but he has shown marked improvement this year. Dahlen could start the season in the NHL or come part way through. Of course when the team wins the lottery I expect Dahlin to start for the team as well. 5 rookies opening night would be great! :toot:

Eh...Avs started the year with Kerfoot, Jost, Compher, and Lindholm, and later in the season they traded for Sam Girard and called up Dom Toninato, all of whom are currently on the active roster. Vlad Kamenev (also on the roster) probably would be somewhere in the mix had he not effectively missed the season due to injury.

Giving rookies, even too many rookies, the ice and opportunity needed is way better than watching a bunch of old farts who can't skate screw around, trust me.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:50 am 
Promoted from Lt. Chaos

Well that was a hell of a final home game for the Sedins! :viking:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:03 am 
OTP Clown

super classy

Super special.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:14 pm 

End of an era. It was far more emotional than I thought it would be. A beautifully authentic connection between the Canucks and the fanbase has emerged over the years in light of all crap they took from the fans and media in the early going - poetic justice. And then the Hollywood ending with half the team injured.

The anomalous nature of the Sedin story seems understated. Off the top, the fact that they both even made the NHL is sort of freakish -- usually one brother emerges (let alone twins). They managed to stay together for their entire careers on the same team (unheard of in today's world) and whose career stats were virtual mirror images of each other -- that may never happen again in pro sports. They could easily stay on and produce at a high level for two more years but they would rather end on their own terms and be remembered as players who finished at a high professional level rather than milk it.

The hole leave in the franchise is much larger than I ever thought it would be. More years of pain ahead but the Canucks are in a better position for the future because the twins are leaving room now for player development and the youth movement. Truly selfless act.

You don't know what you've got until it's gone.

Side note: Did anyone else see Marchand's twitter well wishes? Shame that his words and actions always seem to come off as trolling because I really thought he meant it.

https://twitter.com/Bmarch63

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:13 pm 

That 50/50 draw at last nights game was nuts. Just over $1,000,000.00 dollars.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:34 pm 

End of an era. It was far more emotional than I thought it would be. A beautifully authentic connection between the Canucks and the fanbase has emerged over the years in light of all crap they took from the fans and media in the early going - poetic justice. And then the Hollywood ending with half the team injured.

The anomalous nature of the Sedin story seems understated. Off the top, the fact that they both even made the NHL is sort of freakish -- usually one brother emerges (let alone twins). They managed to stay together for their entire careers on the same team (unheard of in today's world) and whose career stats were virtual mirror images of each other -- that may never happen again in pro sports. They could easily stay on and produce at a high level for two more years but they would rather end on their own terms and be remembered as players who finished at a high professional level rather than milk it.

The hole leave in the franchise is much larger than I ever thought it would be. More years of pain ahead but the Canucks are in a better position for the future because the twins are leaving room now for player development and the youth movement. Truly selfless act.

You don't know what you've got until it's gone.

Side note: Did anyone else see Marchand's twitter well wishes? Shame that his words and actions always seem to come off as trolling because I really thought he meant it.

https://twitter.com/Bmarch63

Not sure what to make of Marchand's tweet. On one hand I'm guessing it was genuine, but he had to know it wasn't gonna go over well. His response to angry Canucks fans was, I have to admit, a pretty clever troll job.

And yes, it's crazy to have seen two brothers attain the levels they did with such a very unique approach to the game. The only other twin combo of note I can think of is Joel and Henrik Lundqvist, and as you said, one ended up as an elite NHL netminder, the other had pretty much a cup of coffee in the NHL before bolting back to Sweden.

I'd also add that, and for once I mean no offense to the guy, Alex Burrows probably would've been a somewhat notable grinder had he been part of any other organization. Probably fitting that a guy who had a very unconventional path to the NHL himself ended up being The Guy who finally clicked on the right side of the Sedins. Before that I think the only guys who even had limited success with them were Linden, Carter, and Samuelsson.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:04 pm 
OTP Historian

Rich and Ron Sutter is the other twin combo that I can remember off the top of my head. I feel like there's another.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:57 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Bosc wrote:
Rich and Ron Sutter is the other twin combo that I can remember off the top of my head. I feel like there's another.

Beat me to it.

Peter & Chris Ferraro come to mind. Played for the Rangers together. Late 90s or early 00s I think.
The Devils had some Sundstroms or Sandstroms in the 90s. Not for very long. I just always confused them with Tomas Sandstrom, which is why I remember them at all. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:40 am 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Bosc wrote:

Beat me to it.

Peter & Chris Ferraro come to mind. Played for the Rangers together. Late 90s or early 00s I think.
The Devils had some Sundstroms or Sandstroms in the 90s. Not for very long. I just always confused them with Tomas Sandstrom, which is why I remember them at all. :lol:

Bingo! Patrick and Peter Sundstrom.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:42 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:44 pm 

Adam Gaudette wins the Hobey Baker. He is the first player from Northeastern University to win it.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/coll ... story.html

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 462 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next