OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:09 am 
King of Men

And that's it, officially eliminated.

Whole team went down like a sad sack.

Terrible underperforming season.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:01 pm 
King of Men

Disgusting effort from the Coaching staff on down to the players. I've been watching this team for 4 decades now and I have never seen a Flames team lay down like this. This show of character at the end of the season is appalling. If I was a season ticket holder I would be thinking twice unless Brian Burke vows to eliminate this apathetic cancer.

Its been hiding around the dressing room all year and now the curtains are pulled back. I don't expect Gullacksososon to last 5 minutes past the final horn.

However.....even though I may be sickened at the lack of professionalism from this team right now. This tire fire does actually highlight what everyone has been saying all year about this team. A 1 line hockey team and beyond that its a shit show.

Good luck Brian! Kind of reminds me of that Leafs teams he tried to build......

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:13 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

The team should be much better than they've shown. D is surprisingly soft and apart from Monahan, Gaudreau, Tkachuk, their top end skill is pretty thin. They need to get rid of Gully and start moving in some hungry players around the core.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:13 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Frankly they let a couple better-than-expected years derail their plan of a full rebuild. They got aggressive and, while there were some good moves (Hamilton trade) there have been some bad ones (Hamonic). Plus, I think it just needs to be said--Glen Gulutzan just isn't a good NHL coach. Did he even TRY to mix up the pairings? Sure didn't seem like it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:04 pm 

Sean Monahan had FOUR surgeries done after being taken out of the lineup. :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:09 pm 
Big in Japan

Glen Gul out.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:12 pm 
King of Men

E.L. wrote:
Glen Gul out.

Should have been gone the moment the last game was over. Treliving on the hot seat now!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:26 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
E.L. wrote:
Glen Gul out.

Should have been gone the moment the last game was over. Treliving on the hot seat now!

I think it would have happened sooner had it not been for the Humboldt Broncos tragedy. Both Alberta teams sent their head coaches to deliver gifts to the survivors at the hospital. Doesn't explain why he wasn't booted the moment Game 82 concluded but might explain why they waited this long.

I'll be pretty surprised if Treliving survives this. If that 1st rounder jumps significantly because of the lottery, hoo boy...this just plain wasn't the draft you should be trading out of, based on what I've read. He should've tried to put some kind of lottery protection on it and deferred to 2019 like the Sens did. I guess he was too confident the Flames would make it in easily. And really, given their performance last year, the addition of Smith in net, and a supposedly weak expansion team to beat up on in the division, he might have been forgiven somewhat for a sunny outlook.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:27 pm 

The funniest part of this is that the rumblings are that the Flames think they need to get meaner. Really? You don't think your club is "gritty" enough!? I think your team needs more skill, not "toughness."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:03 pm 
Big in Japan

Sounds like they're getting Bill Peters out of Carolina.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:53 pm 

Oh, interesting, Treliving declines to answer the question whether a recent coaching availability influenced the decision to dump Gulutzan, so there ya have it. It's totally gonna be Peters.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:50 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Pokecheque wrote:
The funniest part of this is that the rumblings are that the Flames think they need to get meaner. Really? You don't think your club is "gritty" enough!? I think your team needs more skill, not "toughness."
Skill is the hardest thing to find. Toughness can be bought anytime for relatively cheap. Find the skill and chemistry first and then fill it in with some muckers who can skate fast.

That blueline though....

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:48 pm 

Good lord, more Dougie Hamilton trade rumors. Can't imagine they'd deal him after getting him for a song in the first place, but I just don't get it.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:22 am 
King of Men

Pokecheque wrote:
Good lord, more Dougie Hamilton trade rumors. Can't imagine they'd deal him after getting him for a song in the first place, but I just don't get it.

That's a Leafs rumour for Marner straight up.....its a pipe dream out of Toronto. No conceivable reason from a Flames perspective to get rid of this guy....is he soft? sure......does he backcheck hard....not too much....but so what....you've got other dudes that are supposed to do that. He puts up points....which is more than 85% of the team does. Even though no guy on this team is off limits I find this talk to be silly.

Its not really hard to figure out who goes.....beyond....Johnny, Monahan, Tchaacchukchuk (Keith's kid), Gio and Dougie.......EVERYONE IS EXPENDABLE. Even the new 5 million dollar guy which will soon become a buy out. Some of the kids are ok (Jankowski, Mangiapane, Foo, Andersson, Porier)...put them in there see how they do next year.

This team needs character players......but where they find that is beyond me.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:03 pm 

Okay, now Dreger saying Dougie Hamilton is getting dealt for sure.

What is the deal with this guy!? Does he one-time kittens off the locker room wall before games or something!?!?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:42 am 
King of Men

Can't say I know the man on a personal level....the big shin on the Flames was their lack of compete and desire when they needed it. The Flames have painted themselves into the corner with the Hamonic ridiculousness so they have to trade someone big. No one is jumping up and down for Bennett or Brodie.

Doug is a double edged sword. He's contributing offense on a team that couldn't find it anywhere.....however he tends to be soft as hell at playing D and often finds himself out of the play after making an offensive minded decision. Also he tends to pylon a bit when he has been beat and has a -3 on his pugnacity stat. When the going gets tough Dougie tends to get gone (collective team issue as well). At least that's my observation after watching him in Boston and Calgary. All that being said that's easily fixed when paired with a true stay at home and a high forward. He's a 2 or 3.....and there is certainly nothing wrong with that at 5.7 mil. However, the knock on him eerily reminds me of the knock on Joe Thornton back in the day. And Joe Thornton had a fine career when a team embraced him for what he was.

Are the Flames making a mistake here? Perhaps but the Flames need secondary scoring and they also need to change the climate in the dressing room after Gulakakdalcaclkson....Hamilton has been deemed the catalyst for that change. They better hope they get what they need out of this trade as he will leave a big hole.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:20 pm 

I believe whatever problems exist with Dougie can be fixed, unless there's some perceived attitude issue. Then again, it doesn't sound like GG was a great communicator/teacher. You'd think Peters would do better in that arena.

IMO it's Brodie that the Flames should be concerned about. Ever since he signed his big extension his play has declined and there's concern that his previously stellar play was Giordano more or less carrying him and covering up for his many flaws. THAT is the guy I'd be moving if I were Tree Living.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:09 pm 
King of Men

Oh I agree with you. I don't see anything wrong with Dougie other than the Joe Thornton thing.

I really think they think they have a chance at Brady and that they can move Dougie to Arizona to be with his brother and nab that pick. Of course Montreal or OttCol could derail that.....its a terrible predicament to be in without a 1st rounder and Brodie is NOT going to fetch that.

Personally....I think 3Living has made his bed and needs to wait this draft out. Peters needs to figure it out and bleed the rock...but hey whatever I am just an armchair GM.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:35 am 
King of Men

I like this trade.

Dougie, Ferland and Fox For Hannafin and Lindstrom

Never really a big fan of Ferland and Fox just wan't interested so.....I find Lindstrom adds scoring depth (not just riding next to Johnny). Hannafin is solid and willing to play what I feel is a more 2 way game. Both are young. Props to 3Living for making the best out of a sticky situation.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:25 pm 

I get that Ferland was/is a bottom-six player who was more or less a passenger on that top line, but putting up 21 goals on a team that had notable scoring issues is still something IMO. I think he's more than a throw-in.

I just don't like this deal from CGY's perspective. Yes they got two good players but they also got two RFAs whereas Dougie is still signed to a good deal. They also lose some offensive punch from the back end, though they'll get some additional scoring from Lindholm up front.
I like Hanafin, but not a big fan of Lindholm. As for Fox, time will tell.

Couple this with the fact that the Flames had to sit and watch as the Isles took Noah Dobson with their pick, and I think Treliving is in serious trouble. He's my pick for first GM fired in next year's Coaching Watch.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next