OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:52 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Another pretty bad loss at the hands of the Flames--5-1. I missed the entire game but it sounds like the only guys who showed up were Tyson Jost and Duncan Siemens.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:58 am 

Colorado stays verrrrry quiet at the deadline, effectively ending their 15-year streak of making deadline deals involving NHL players. I firmly believe they would've been more busy had they not gotten so banged up down the stretch. At this point though both their AHL and ECHL affiliates are icing incomplete lineups, there isn't a lot in terms of excess assets. Sakic says he considered the possibility of flipping Blake Comeau for a pick but decided against it.

Only two moves of note were to snag big D-man Mark Alt off waivers from the Flyboys and trade D prospect Chris Bigras to the Rangers for another big D-man, Ryan Graves. The good news is that both may be big but aren't slow. Given how many small guys the Avs have on D I'm guessing they wanted to up the "grit", which is fine. The real work begins this offseason. Avs have a ton of cap space to play with and some options/directions they can take. I would like them to just kinda stay the course but we will see.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:43 pm 

God, Matthew Tkachuk is such a piece of shit. Glad he pretty much cost his team the game with an idiotic penalty in the 2nd. I think the refs made a bad call on Johnny Hockey in the closing minutes of the game but he made things worse by running his mouth and getting a 10-minute misconduct to boot. Tkachuk and Gulutzan also got dinged for talking back to the refs.

Also, roughly 7 years after he was taken 11th overall in 2011, Duncan Siemens gets his first NHL goal. An empty netter, but who cares! The reaction from the bench was everything.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:25 am 

https://twitter.com/UMassHockey/status/ ... 1273854976

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:28 pm 
Big in Japan

Quote:
@reporterchris
Andrei Mironov (COL) has been placed on unconditional waivers for the purpose of terminating his contract.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:27 am 

The moment he was made a healthy scratch down in San Antonio it was only a matter of time. Veilleux reportedly even gave him top pairing minutes until he had seen enough.

This interview may have lost some context in translation, but he's definitely not happy about the situation.

https://thehockeywriters.com/avalanche- ... rn-russia/

Frankly he showed little ability or interest in playing structured hockey. Another fan described his play as "YOLO," I think that's pretty accurate. He'd throw a couple big hits and had a couple hard shots but everything else was sub-par. Oh well, it's a fourth round pick from 2015 down the drain, but I don't blame either the player or the organization for giving it a whirl.

And as one door closes, another opens. Conor Timmins signs his ELC.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/hocke ... evel-pact/

Now if this guy don't pan out, we got a problem.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:43 am 

Ironically the most-talked about Avs player apart from Nathan MacKinnon these days is none other than this guy.

Seven years after he was taken 11th overall outta Saskatoon (Same year the Avs picked Landeskog 2nd overall) ol' Dunk finally appears to be solidifying an NHL role.

https://www.bsndenver.com/colorados-for ... r-him-now/

Quote:
As the trade deadline passed, the Avalanche followed the common practice of “papering” three players, sending them down to the AHL and calling them back up so they would be eligible to play for the Rampage again. Siemens was not on that list, a commitment by the Avalanche of keeping him through the end of the season. Barring injury, this will be his most significant stint with the NHL team. For the first time in his pro career, he’s not being kept at an arm’s length and being given a real opportunity. That it comes in the thick of a hunt for the playoffs only enhances the experience.

Dude's got tremendous speed for a big, physical d-man, the big ding on him is his lack of puck skill. But I'm not seeing him mismanage it like I had to witness Brad Stuart do in the five games he managed to play as an Av or Patrik Nemeth seemingly does on a nightly basis. He's no wizard with the puck to be sure, but he's doing enough to get it out of trouble.

If he can at least be a third-pairing guy at this point everyone will be thrilled.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:09 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Looks like the Avs are flirting with a playoff spot again since Nathan's return. Dude's insanely good and indispensable to their success.

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL.html

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:21 pm 

Sven Andrighetto is back!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:24 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
Sven Andrighetto is back!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:24 am 

Avs are starting to just get plum worn out. It happens with young teams, especially ones as banged up as they are.

Good news is more and more bodies are getting healthy, except for Mark Barberio, who may have died and we'll never know.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:40 pm 

Avs beat the Coyotes, who are surprisingly on a bit of a hot streak of late.

In other promising news, Vladislav Kamenev, that forgotten piece of the Duchene trade, played in his first game since breaking his arm earlier this year, tallied 3 assists in a 4-0 shutout in AHL San Antonio against the Baby Kings (the "Reign"). Dude looks ready.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:06 am 

Landeskog to Prosser: "Go back on waivers you fucking plug! Go back on waivers!"

https://twitter.com/cjzero/status/973742210830295040
\

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:12 pm 

FINALLY beat the Blues this year!

Now, a dilemma. 2nd of a back-to-back against Nashville (IN Nashville), and the only other option in net is the fourth-string guy, Spencer Martin. Bednar has a tough decision to make here.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:40 pm 
King of Men

Pokecheque wrote:
FINALLY beat the Blues this year!

Now, a dilemma. 2nd of a back-to-back against Nashville (IN Nashville), and the only other option in net is the fourth-string guy, Spencer Martin. Bednar has a tough decision to make here.

That was an impressive victory at just the right time.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:33 am 

Bummer of a loss but it was bound to happen against the best team in the NHL.

Next contest is a Sunday matinee against the Red Wings. If they lose it'll be their tenth straight loss, so I expect them to come out swinging. Avs better be ready.

Bednar said EJ is fairly close to coming back but stopped short of a detailed timeline.

Vlad Kamenev played the third and final game of his AHL conditioning stint tonight. Will likely suit up for Colorado Sunday.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:06 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

I took a look at their schedule and I have the Avs at around 94-95 points by the end of the season and that's with a dip in play, so .500 hockey and they're in. Easy.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:20 am 

Logical Progression wrote:
I took a look at their schedule and I have the Avs at around 94-95 points by the end of the season and that's with a dip in play, so .500 hockey and they're in. Easy.

Yeah...we'll see. The fact that all these teams keep hovering around gives me pause.

Avs hand the Wings their 10th consecutive loss and eliminate Detroit from postseason contention in a 5-1 win. MacKinnon with 2 goals and an assist. The top line of Bertuzzi-Zetterberg-Nyquist was on for 4 of those 5 goals. Avs, I think, for the first time ever, sweep the season series with Detroit. Not really that big of a deal but sure shows how times have changed. I miss this not being just another game.

On a side note, not sure what in hell got Justin Abdelkader so hot and bothered, he planted a cross check in the back of Alex Kerfoot, Green then gets nailed with the exact same infraction mere seconds into the power play, and the Avs score on the ensuing 5-on-3. JA proceeds to moan at the refs some more and earns himself the gate. I'm guessing Kerfoot did something to set him off because I can't think of why else he would be so incensed about the situation.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:55 am 
Big in Japan

Dallas is crumbling. Avalanche have a golden opportunity to slide in.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:54 pm 

While the Denver Post is in the midst of imploding, the Athletic is quietly setting up shop in Denver, hiring three of their writers, Nicki Jhabvala (Broncos), Nick Kosmider (Nuggets), and Nick Groke (Rockies). They haven't yet hired a hockey writer but the odds-on favorite is Rick Sadowski, who is currently in sports journalism purgatory ever since the Rocky Mountain News went down in flames in 2009 and having to do side gigs for NHL.com and (ugh) Eklund's Hockeybuzz site. I remember when they were toying with a possible return of the RMN (now needed more than ever) and Rick was ever-so hopeful he'd get his old gig back.

The possible big loser in all this? BSN Denver, where Adrian Dater now works. They just recently switched to a subscription-based model and have to be a little worried right now. I know I'm likely not continuing with two subscriptions if one gives me all the coverage I need. And while I think Dater is a good writer, he and Haefele alone are not enough to sway me, especially if the Athletic hired Sadowski.

NOW...if they hire Mike MMA-is-Legal Chambers, that's a different story.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next