OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:18 am 
King of Men

The Flames will stand pat and do nothing because there is nothing they can do for the trade deadline. I don't advocate trading Bennett or anyone else.

The only option here if they miss the playoffs is firing Gulcakckaacson.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:24 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

If teams are asking for Gillies I'd tell 'em to pound sand.

This team has already sacrificed a fair bit to get better. But I actually WOULD trade Bennett. That guy's either a bust or he's never gonna pan out in Calgary, he may turn into a decent role player elsewhere though. But if he can snag a decent upgrade rental, I say do it. Beyond that, not much else.

And yes, I think Gulutzan is as good as gone unless the Flames go on some insane run soon.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:55 pm 

Avs helped the cause yesterday. They've picked a bad time to play hockey this poorly but oh well.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:31 am 
King of Men

Well....that about does it. 15 Games left 3 points behind LA who is clearly a better team....soft remaining schedule.........is it possible? Sure....do I think they can...no way. This team has been inconsistent and played poorly defensively all year. Troy f'n Brouwer is on the top line now......

The silver lining is that they can probably cut bait on Gillies and Rittich......its really a terrible thing that they tried to ride these two knowing full well at the deadline that Mike Smith was hurt.

Wasted effort on a decent year from Johnny, Tkachuk and Mike Smith. Brad needs to work on secondary scoring and Gullllllllacksoisndososn needs to hit the highway (Troy Brouwer on the top f'n line!).

Brass has some work to do in the offseason!

Lose to Buffalo or Ottawa in the next few days and you can stick a fork in it officially. Disappointing season from the Flames only saved by a playoff birth.

The Goal Diff is the king of team stats and it says everything you need to know about playoff bound teams.

Chris Stewart already a healthy scratch....guess you were right Professor! Worth a waiver pickup to try though.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:09 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

WTF happened with Hamonic? Heard he got into an argument with a fan?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:16 pm 

https://www.tsn.ca/depth-issues-continu ... -1.1018066

Such a weird set of problems. The 3M line is absolutely killing it in terms of possession, but can't find the back of the net. The top line lost Ferland and went ice cold. And the 2nd pairing of Brodie-Hamonic has struggled.

And yes, Chris Stewart sucks. But it was worth a shot I suppose.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:04 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

The Flames just aren't as deep as they seem, especially on the blueline and bottom six. Smith's play was obviously masking some of the defensive issues as they were in a playoff spot when he went down I think.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:10 am 
King of Men

Johnny gets to 80 points....Mike Smith is back......Somehow manage to hold off the Oilers with some gritty play. Gullackssson still having to stress fundamentals at practice.....game 71. Its only a matter of time before they are eliminated.

Here is the rest of the sched, should be over soon...I'll call it after the southern cali swing (3/26)

SJS
VGK
ARI
ANH
SJS
LAK
CBJ
EDM
ARI
WPG
VGK

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:55 am 
King of Men

Versteeg the saviour is back! Apparently he's going to lead the charge into the playoffs..... :quag:

No Tchachuk......mushy melon I guess but this time of the year its an UBI.

Doesn't really matter...this team doesn't have it.

The countdown to elimination begins! :awesomecylon:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:38 am 

harmfuljays wrote:
Versteeg the saviour is back! Apparently he's going to lead the charge into the playoffs..... :quag:

No Tchachuk......mushy melon I guess but this time of the year its an UBI.

Doesn't really matter...this team doesn't have it.

The countdown to elimination begins! :awesomecylon:

Kinda bummed. I like this team. Even Tkachuk for all his antics is a very good hockey player.

The most shocking thing to me is that Matt effin' Stajan is playing some of the best hockey of his career down the stretch.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:41 pm 
King of Men

Terrible game against VGK today. Unfortunately the team has no heart and even worse ability to play team D. Mike Smith hasn't exactly been stellar his first few games back after his injury allowing Kane to tear him up and then Karlsson today. But I am not going to blame Smith as he's probably the only saviour for the terrible D (great on paper). Once the going gets tough the Flames get gone.

Sadly I feel that Brouwer has played some of his best hockey the past few games but the guys they need...Monahan, Hamilton, Ferland have been downright awful.

I am sure Gullakckckson will be gone in the offseason.

Its a team that's almost there but perhaps next year they find an identity much like the Avs have done this year.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:05 am 

Unfortunately I could totally see them going precisely in the wrong direction in the offseason. For instance, today they seemed to be doing okay until Ryan Reaves took a run at (I think) Brodie. They proceeded to focus on him instead of the game, trying to goad him into fights and what not, and lose the game 4-0. My conclusion is that this team needs a real infusion of skill/secondary scoring (and possibly a coaching change), while others may conclude the team needs some talentless goon to take care of guys like Reaves.

There's been rumblings that the Flames brass thinks the team isn't "mean" enough (give you two guesses who's been saying THAT the most) instead of the fact that they're simply not getting much scoring outside of the top line of Hockey-Boring-It's Spelled "Michael". The "3M" line is tremendous in terms of defensive play and possession but isn't getting it done at the other end of the ice.

Of course a different coach might be all that's needed, maybe that's all they conclude and only make minor tweaks.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:48 am 
King of Men

I just don't think the D pairings work either.....its simple mental lapses....I watched Gio follow the play into the zone and then for some unknown reason Dougie pinches! Nobody back...no high forward....nothing....and its in the back of the net because Dougie isn't exactly great at hard back checking.

The Backlund line is a minus 14.......but they gave him money. That line is not contributing and they have been outplayed by Stajan, Lazar and Brouwer lately.

Hathaway is all the truculence needed in today's NHL when he decides to hit. I watched a hard hitting game last night between Peg and the Stars.

Brodie.....has taken a significant step back this year (-16 and leading the team to no ones surprise). In fact I think its a lot of individuals that haven't bought into a solid system. Gullackson owns this one and he will pay the price in the offseason. If it continues to happen next year then its a personnel problem.

3/26 we should be able to call it for the Flames. This isn't negativity this is just reality.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:12 pm 

Some analytics people were saying Brodie's put up some awful numbers since he was removed from Gio's pairing. If he's not as good as advertised that's very bad news for Calgary.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:46 pm 
King of Men

96 points is the magic number (to be eliminated). The rest of the conference has 1-2 games in hand on the Flames. Avs and St Louis have 2 and LA, ANH and Dallas have 1.

I would assume Dallas and St Louis fall out and the major battle for the last spot comes down to LA, ANH and COL.

Losing to PHX handily is akin to waving the white flag.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:30 am 
King of Men

This team has the attitude of my 18 year old. They are now laying down......not a very good display of heart. But at least we are seeing an identity! Fortunately Hamilton wasn't on the ice for all the GAs last night......7 merciful games left!

BOOOOO!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:34 pm 

I'm callin' it, Antoine Roussel will be a Flame next season. Not that it's the right move but I just see them doing that.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:49 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
I'm callin' it, Antoine Roussel will be a Flame next season. Not that it's the right move but I just see them doing that.

I'm really hoping Roussel and Bellemare end up on the same team and they sign Da Costa to centre them. Team France first line baby.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:52 pm 
Big in Japan

Monahan done for the season. Just as well.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:29 pm 

Geez, Erik, dump the signature or pay da man!

The top line flat-out disappeared down the stretch. Now we know why. Sam Bennett essentially being a bust has really, really hurt this team. I'm still not convinced Jankowski is a player yet either.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next