OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 462 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 24  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:42 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Pokecheque wrote:
Interesting side note I'm reading--if Pierre-Luc Dubois had fallen to Vancouver in the draft that year, P.K. Subban would be a Canuck right now. I'll have to look for a proper link but that's crazy to think about.
Yeah he was the player Benning talked about when he got fined from the league for tampering at the 2016 draft. Talk about a career damaging trade that would have been for PK.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:34 pm 
King of the One-Liner

If they can commit to another season and half of build mode and patience the Nucks look to be in a pretty good spot going forward and one lucky draft ball from an awesome spot.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:15 am 
Old Man of the Post

Two years max, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Twins sign one-year contracts for the time being. They can still play given sheltered 2nd or 3rd line minutes. I'd love to see them play Patterson, Gaudette, and perhaps Lind next season but id sooner they cut loose the likes of Dowd, Granlund and Gaunce...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:22 am 
Old Man of the Post

Is it too late to jump on the "Virtanen is a bust" :bandwagon: ?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:48 am 

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
Dude will be like 38 by the time he figures the NHL game out. Slow learner....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:55 pm 

Logical Progression wrote:

I've actually come around a bit on him this year. He does flash more talent at times than I gave him credit for. And his team possession stats are solid. I doubt he can ever be a solid 2nd line player, but I do believe dependable third liner is a reasonable expectation. However my expectations right from the draft were really low, he didn't make my top 10 that year so at this point I'm probably not as disappointed in a solid 3rd line contribution.

and what is with this playing Del Zotto over Hutton nonsense? Why does every coach on every team seem to have a soft spot for a veteran who makes hits, blocks pucks but can't get the puck out of his own end? Do all of the coaches brains melt with they see analysis more complex than plus/minus or number of shots blocked? Hey Green, you don't block shots when you have puck possession, high blocked shots should be seen as a result of things going badly, not a positive player input.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:24 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I think that guy's got "Mike Rupp" written all over him and will likely follow a similar career path.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:25 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
I've actually come around a bit on him this year. He does flash more talent at times than I gave him credit for. And his team possession stats are solid. I doubt he can ever be a solid 2nd line player, but I do believe dependable third liner is a reasonable expectation. However my expectations right from the draft were really low, he didn't make my top 10 that year so at this point I'm probably not as disappointed in a solid 3rd line contribution.

and what is with this playing Del Zotto over Hutton nonsense? Why does every coach on every team seem to have a soft spot for a veteran who makes hits, blocks pucks but can't get the puck out of his own end? Do all of the coaches brains melt with they see analysis more complex than plus/minus or number of shots blocked? Hey Green, you don't block shots when you have puck possession, high blocked shots should be seen as a result of things going badly, not a positive player input.
:lol: Yes agreed on all points. The flashes of talent Virtanen has displayed at times are undeniable. He is a big body and is an extremely good skater with a decent shot (when it hits the net). Indeed this is a rare skillset in todays NHL, but he seems to keep making the same dumb mistakes with the puck when he gets excited in the neutral zone and seems afraid of the rough stuff. I heard that Canuck management are totally fine being patient with his slowed development due to his high ceiling of talent and rare skillset.

Del Zotto is a train wreck in his own end. His game has fallen off a cliff since the first quarter of the season. That being said, Hutton needs to be more a more physical presence and work on his first pass. His game has plateaued in my opinion. He will be 25 this season but still seems 19. Hence the Hutton / Pouliot merry go 'round.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:21 pm 

Craig's Updated Prospect List, who claims the Canucks cupboard is stocked.

Elias Pettersson comes in at #1, Olli Joulevi #24, Adam Gaudette #26, Jonathan Dahlen #31 and Thatcher Demko #42. Not bad -- very excited about Elias, but that Joulevi pick has me worried.

https://www.tsn.ca/cupboard-is-stocked- ... s-1.989909

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:45 pm 

Craig's Updated Prospect List, who claims the Canucks cupboard is stocked.

Elias Pettersson comes in at #1, Olli Joulevi #24, Adam Gaudette #26, Jonathan Dahlen #31 and Thatcher Demko #42. Not bad -- very excited about Elias, but that Joulevi pick has me worried.

https://www.tsn.ca/cupboard-is-stocked- ... s-1.989909

I like that a lot. Dahlen is easy to forget about when considering the rest of them.

I also like this
Quote:
The Oilers, Jets, Maple Leafs and Canadiens don’t have any players in the top 50.

How the hell don't the Oilers and Habs have anyone?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:25 pm 
Big in Japan

The Habs don't have any high end prospects. Juulsen might be a good one. Poehling's solid but his ceiling is low.

Yamamoto should've been on the list.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:34 pm 

Getting ready to listen to "The Full 60" podcast Custance does as part of The Athletic, though I'm pretty sure you can get a hold of it without a subscription. He's talking to Laurence Gilman about his time in Vancouver, specifically the SCF run, and how he helped set up Vegas for what ended up being a dominant expansion draft.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:07 pm 
Big in Japan

Quote:
@TSNBobMcKenzie

VAN set to make an announcement in the next hour or so. Likely an extension for GM Jim Benning.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:12 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Quote:
@TSNBobMcKenzie

VAN set to make an announcement in the next hour or so. Likely an extension for GM Jim Benning.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Please no

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:46 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Quote:
@TSNBobMcKenzie

Yup it's official. I have mixed feelings about this one. No one could have turned this team around in 3-4 years. The problem is that they haven't been aggressive enough with their re-build and they've wasted assets and draft picks by trying to remain competitive. Not sure that all falls on Benning.

I am not overly impressed with how this management / ownership team have gone about the re-build -- Benning being a part but not the whole. Linden and Aquilini -- I'm looking at you. They need more prospects by obtaining draft picks. Benning is good in this area.

Obviously this is not an ideal situation -- but what else were they going to do? Bring in Holland if he breaks free? Personally I think the game has passed him by.

They should have signed Benning to a new position as President of Player Development and waited to end of season to weigh their options for new GM replacement. I know that wouldn't happen in a million years.

Benning's trading record has been atrocious but drafting decent -- which earned him the extension.

Last edited by Logical Progression on Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:13 pm 

Ohhhhh shit.

Best case scenario, the Canucks become the next Ducks and win in spite of their GM because their drafting is so ridiculously good.

In any event, I don't think Benning is the problem. Linden is, and even bigger-picture, the owner has no clue.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:15 pm 
Big in Japan

It's hard to fire a GM mid-rebuild, which is where I think the Nucks are at.

They have Horvat, Boeser, Petterson, Demko and maybe Juolevi, Dahlen, Virtanen and Gaudette to build on. Not bad. They need more, especially on D, but what happens if you bring in a new guy? He might think his prospects are better than existing guys and basically start the rebuild anew.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:49 pm 

E.L. wrote:
It's hard to fire a GM mid-rebuild, which is where I think the Nucks are at.

They have Horvat, Boeser, Petterson, Demko and maybe Juolevi, Dahlen, Virtanen and Gaudette to build on. Not bad. They need more, especially on D, but what happens if you bring in a new guy? He might think his prospects are better than existing guys and basically start the rebuild anew.

Problem is we're mid rebuild by accident not on purpose. The team has been trying to hang on to last Sedin twirl at the playoffs until last season, making a bunch of dumb decisions as a result. They finally fell so far last season that management had to accept reality. However once again they're thinking about the now (keeping Vanek and Gundbranson) instead of moving them for picks.

Good drafting is one piece but you need to be able to make sensible contracts, trade and manage the cap. They have shown no awareness of any of these things. Oh yes, they complete disregard for analytics makes them bloody dinosaurs and they should be shown the door.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:47 pm 
Big in Japan

Gudda Gudda brought back for 3 years, 4M AAV.

For a team bereft of defensive prospects, 3 years isn't a bad length. He'll be average those years.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:49 pm 

Gudbranson signs 3 year extension with an annual average salary of $4M. It's front end loaded so that the 3rd year is only around $3M. There are no NTC's of any kind.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 462 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 24  Next