OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: 2018 MLB Thread
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:57 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

First time in a long time I've even cautiously optimistic about the Rockies' chances. It's still gonna be a bitch of a division battle with the Padres spending big for whatever reason, the Dodgers being the Dodgers, the Giants retooling, and the Arizona D-Bags just being the pain in the ass they usually are.

Still, in a baseball season where a third of the teams are actively trying to tank, if there was ever a year for them to really go for it, this is it. I'd really like for them to find a take for Ian Desmond's awful contract and go get a masher at first base, but this team should still make waves so long as Blackmon and Arenado swing the bat like they did last year. Also, David Dahl should be a huge addition after missing all of last season with a bizarre rib injury.

Post subject: Re: 2018 MLB Thread
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:45 pm 
Big in Japan

So many annoying teams this offseason. If you're not rebuilding, you should be trying to get better, like Milwaukee did. What excuse do the Mariners, Blue Jays, Reds, Diamondbacks, A's and Pirates have? Those teams are mostly a starter/bat away from being better than .500 team, and they're all more or less standing pat or shopping in the discount aisle. Cheap cheap cheap.

They can all afford Cobb or Lynn or Arrieta without blocking prospects or going over the luxury tax. No one predicted the Twins making the WC last year, so why not give it a go?

The Rockies clearly have a theory about relievers and Coors, and I applaud them for acting on it. Same for San Diego and Hosmer. I know he's overrated and overpaid, but it's not like Harper or Machado will ever go there. Hosmer isn't blocking anyone (no prospects, Myers can live in LF or RF).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:36 pm 
Big in Japan

Big free agents finally off the board: Darvish to the Cubs, Hosmer to the Friars and JD to the Bosox

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:28 pm 
Big in Japan

Ridiculous free agency period coming to an end. Arrieta settles for three years. Lynn, Moose and Walker get totally screwed on one year deals. Cobb still available!

Weirdly unsure about the Giants. Duggar, Stratton and Blach all look legit, but Posey's ankle is acting up and Longoria isn't healthy either. Blanco and Sandoval are playing great and giving everyone 2014 vibes.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:00 pm 
Big in Japan

Player development in MLB is a funny, excruciating process where a million mental or physical things can ruin a guy destined for greatness.

The Giants haven't developed a starting outfielder in decades, DECADES!, but Clemson CF Steven Duggar went from nowhere on the prospect chart to almost pro-ready. The glove is ready but he's missed ABs due to injuries, so he might need another 300-500 plate appearances in the minors. The temptation to start him now is there, but if he's not ready they could destroy all the work they've done. Then again, if he's ready, they might not be fielding the best team they can. He's 24 and has a smooth gap swing and a killer first-step in CF. What a conundrum.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:19 pm 
Big in Japan

Bumgarner hurt. I am dead.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:24 pm 
Big in Japan

Was at the Jays game in Montreal last night. Saw future superstar Vladimir Guerrero Jr. hit a walkoff homerun. A no-doubter that went deep to centre. When he stepped to the plate you knew he was going to mash one, he just had that aura.

https://twitter.com/VladGuerrero27/stat ... 7783463937

Enjoy him, Jays fans. You've got a special one.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:55 pm 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
Was at the Jays game in Montreal last night. Saw future superstar Vladimir Guerrero Jr. hit a walkoff homerun. A no-doubter that went deep to centre. When he stepped to the plate you knew he was going to mash one, he just had that aura.

https://twitter.com/VladGuerrero27/stat ... 7783463937

Enjoy him, Jays fans. You've got a special one.

Oh man, can't wait for him and Bichette. What a moment. It just had the home run sound to it, too.

At what point do they Jays just say "Fuck it - if we're competing now, get their bats in the lineup and find them a position".

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:29 pm 
Big in Japan

Bosc wrote:
Oh man, can't wait for him and Bichette. What a moment. It just had the home run sound to it, too.

At what point do they Jays just say "Fuck it - if we're competing now, get their bats in the lineup and find them a position".

Donaldson is likely a goner after this season, and Vlad will take his spot at 3B. Before that, they'll call up Vlad to replace either Morales at DH or Smoak at 1B. Both are trade/slump/cut/injury candidates. I think he'll be up sometime in the summer, as soon as a few injuries hit.

Bo needs some time in AA, but I could see him getting a September callup. Not like there's anyone blocking him at SS/2B.

I say they're both starting in 2019.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:11 pm 
OTP Historian

Fuck the Donaldson thing pisses me off so much. 4 fucking years to sign him to an extension and nothing done. Just ride those cheaper arbitration years and likely lose him for nothing.

Smoak was a revelation last year and his changes seemed sustainable. Hoping he carried into this season. Morales deal was just bad outright.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:18 pm 
Big in Japan

Opening Day! Predictions:

NL: Nationals, Brewers, Rockies (Phillies and Giants WC)
AL: Blue Jays, Twins, Astros (Angels and Orioles WC)

WS: Nationals beat Angels

MVP: Harper and Machado
Cy Young: Nola and Stroman
ROY: Brinson and Ohtani

Fate of the supposed super teams:

Yankees will lose because Judge will K 200 times and the rotation is smoke and mirrors
Red Sox will lose because of pitching after Sale and Pedroia being done
Indians will lose because they didn't replace Allen and Santana
Dodgers will lose because the bullpen will tire out from pitching 4 innings a night
Cubs will lose because Darvish will bust and the lineup after Rizzo/Bryant is only ok
Astros will keep winning but a hangover will let the Angels and A's get close

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:42 pm 

Rockies not off to a great start, but I suppose that's fine. Long, loooooong season ahead, better to be good late than good early.

Charlie Blackmon gets a six-year deal from Colorado reportedly worth $108 million. Definitely worth it now, though he'll be fairly old by the time it expires. Two options also built in, not sure how that all works though.

I have a bad feeling it's gonna be a horrid baseball season. Not in terms of my own team, just in general. You just can't have a league where this many teams are in DGAF mode. Tried to watch a few games on MLB Network and just couldn't.

Then again, it's April, baseball largely doesn't matter this early.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:40 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
I have a bad feeling it's gonna be a horrid baseball season. Not in terms of my own team, just in general. You just can't have a league where this many teams are in DGAF mode. Tried to watch a few games on MLB Network and just couldn't.

Solution: watch Shohei. The Angels are sneaky good. They have the best player in baseball, an incredible SS and maybe the first two-way star since Babe. Also, no one has strong enough feelings about the Angels to hate them, so you won't feel bad switching over and giving them a look.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:26 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Solution: watch Shohei. The Angels are sneaky good. They have the best player in baseball, an incredible SS and maybe the first two-way star since Babe. Also, no one has strong enough feelings about the Angels to hate them, so you won't feel bad switching over and giving them a look.

I was a closet Angels fan for a while, even got the hat. New owner kinda rubbed me the wrong way with that "Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim" bullshit, but no denying Trout and now Ohtani are the real deal.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:44 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Yankee fans boo Stanton after he strikes out 5 times in home opener. Boo him again the next day. Fucking awesome. :roll:
Yankees are 4-3 and fans are calling for Boone to be fired. :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:52 pm 
OTP Historian

Maybe Odor should worry more about not being the absolute worst player in baseball and worry less about being a fucking idiot? I dunno.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:24 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Maybe Odor should worry more about not being the absolute worst player in baseball and worry less about being a fucking idiot? I dunno.

What'd he do?

Also, my 6-year-old mind can't help but laugh when I see that Texas put Odor and Fister on the DL the other day. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:51 pm 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
Bosc wrote:

What'd he do?

Also, my 6-year-old mind can't help but laugh when I see that Texas put Odor and Fister on the DL the other day. :lol:

Stroman's pretty well known for his delivery timings

https://twitter.com/BlueJayHunter/statu ... 2871868417

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:23 am 

Oh, that was kinda stupid. :lol:

Rox get into it with the Pods when Arenado gets nailed with a pitch. He and a couple others stars get tossed, yet go on to win the game. Maybe this'll wake up their sleepy bats.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:33 am 
OTP Historian

Granderson! Throws out the winning run at home and then hits the walk-off. What a signing he's been so far.

Reminds me of one of my good game memories from baseball growing up. This one season I had a coach who just played me in the outfield and sat me and never gave me a chance to do anything and this is house league. Wasn't having fun at all. My Mom absolutely lit into him one night seeing how miserable I was. I knew what kind of player I was and I wasn't trying to pitch or play shortstop all the time or something. So he finally started to give me a chance.

Anyways, one night I think we were tied and there was a guy on third with one out. Batter hits a one-hopper to me at first, I step on the bag and throw it home for the double-play. Bottom of the inning I knocked in the winning run with the bases loaded. Felt vindicated for the crappy season.

A few years later, I had another awful coach and I wasn't having fun anymore so I quit. And I still love to play when I have the opportunity, which hardly comes up.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next