OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 462 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 24  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:31 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

https://twitter.com/GraphicComments/sta ... 2350775297

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:10 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Pokecheque wrote:
Boy did the bloom fall off the rose with the goalies. Was the mere presence of Christopher Tanev making THAT much of a difference!?

I think that's only part of it. Absent Tanev, the team just isn't good or quick enough to make up for his in-game smarts.

The team collectively doesn't get to loose pucks very well. Decent positioning and game smarts can make up for that but the team is woefully bereft of either. Other teams' scouting have also figured out how to counter the forecheck, learned that the defensemen don't pivot well (Pouliot might be the only one that can turn well), and use good puck movement to get either 6'6" goalies moving laterally. Green & co. are trying to make the adjustments, but the talent level and intelligence on the ice just isn't there. And when it is (Vanek & Sedins), they are too old or too slow or both to really keep up.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:25 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

I cannot believe I am saying this, but they need to move Tanev sooner rather than later and maximize his return.

Imagine the d-corps without he and Guddy (who isn't great but at least he absorb minutes), but how could they be much worse than they are now?

Management needs to strike while the iron is hot for Tanev and accelerate this re-build.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:30 pm 

Logical Progression wrote:
I cannot believe I am saying this, but they need to move Tanev sooner rather than later and maximize his return.

Imagine the d-corps without he and Guddy (who isn't great but at least he absorb minutes), but how could they be much worse than they are now?

Management needs to strike while the iron is hot for Tanev and accelerate this re-build.

Tanev is about the only vet I'd keep if I were the Canucks. He's only 27 after all, and I see that guy aging pretty well. He's just run into some real shit luck as far as injuries go. Trust me, a solid stay-at-home defender like that is super-hard to find.

Everyone else with term and $$$ can go though. Not sure who can take those contracts, but if you can get a taker for, say, Eriksson, go for it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:37 pm 

He's 28 with two years left on his contract. The team won't be in the playoffs in two years so best move him. And I said this when he signed his contract. The way he plays, blocking shots, waiting until the last second to make the pass and taking the hit are things we love about him, but they make him much more likely to get hurt.

He doesn't have the gaudy numbers that really get attention but I think most GM's in the league understand that value he has and would trade high value for him.

And his contract value is reasonable.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:17 pm 

Tanev is the definition of a modern day defensive defenseman. The very reasons for retaining him are the same reasons to trade him now.

He's adaptable, can skate and can move the puck. He makes virtually every player he's paired with better no matter who it is.

His value is highest now and will only depreciate as we move forward.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:12 pm 

I'd take a guy like Tanev in a heartbeat but I imagine the price will be super-high. At least it should be if Benning knows anything.

Still, guys like that are really, really hard to get.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:24 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
I'd take a guy like Tanev in a heartbeat but I imagine the price will be super-high. At least it should be if Benning knows anything.

Still, guys like that are really, really hard to get.
Yeah price will be high but what's he worth? 2nd rounder and a prospect?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:43 pm 

He has a limited no trade clause with an option to select 8 teams. I'd think he would choose a team with SC chances. Could see Toronto and Pens as having interest in him.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:40 pm 
Old Man of the Post

There's a clip of Ray Ferraro saying a 1st rounder and a B prospect would be enough to get Tanev. Trouble is, the teams looking for an upgrade will be in the bottom half of the draft.

I hate to admit it, but I've also warmed to the idea of trading Tanev. This team won't be competitive for at least two perhaps three more years and then he'll be an UFA. Secondly, his contract is still affordable and reasonable; it will be easier for a receiving team to give up more assets knowing they'll have him for those two years at least. Third, he's becoming an injury liability (a la Sami Salo); I'm concerned that the rest of the league will catch on so the sooner GMJB can move in, the better.

Vanek will likely be traded, too, but I wonder if they should re-sign him for two years instead of accepting anything less than a high second rounder. It's been great watching him on the ice and on the bench mentoring Boeser, and he's the best net-front presence they've had for some time. I'll be shocked if anyone gives up more than a late 2nd rounder for Guddy.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:39 am 

Geez, if that's all it'll take I'd be open to the idea of the Avs getting him.

My prediction though, the Leafs have more than enough resources (and a big need on the right side of the blueline) to get Tanev.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:30 pm 
Old Man of the Post

The other team that has a need is Tampa. He's no Hedman but he can certainly help stabilize the defensive portion of the 20+ minutes that Hedman was getting nightly... Plus, Tampa has plenty of young assets that they can afford to surrender.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:28 am 

I thought this was a fascinating read.

http://faceoffcircle.ca/2018/01/13/aged ... ffiliates/

Did not realize Buffalo was in such anemic shape up and down the organization. What a tire fire.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:18 pm 

Adam Gaudette is a finalist for the Hobey Baker award. Kid definitely looks like he'll be turning pro end of this season and should find some time in the lineup after his university season ends.

https://canucksarmy.com/2018/01/16/adam-gaudette-nominated-for-the-ncaas-hobey-baker-award/

And Canuck's army has voter ranking for all Canuck's prospects. Damn that is still a pretty shallow pool after the top 5.

https://canucksarmy.com/2018/01/17/vote-on-the-canucks-best-prospects-and-other-canucks-related-items-for-the-2018-midterm-rankings/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:00 pm 

Benning says he's built the Canucks "the right way."

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nh ... -right-way

You can imagine what Ian had to say about this.

Also, I was reading Botchford's Provies and he was mentioning the Sedins coming back next year like it's already a done deal. Anyone else hear anything?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:06 am 

A loss to Edmonton and the Jets puts the Nucks clear of everyone else and now just chasing Arizona. Don't think they can catch them but 2nd last should still be a pretty nice draft pick.

Yes Benning, you sure are building it the right way. Hamhuis gone for nothing, Vrbata for nothing, Erickson contract and long list of other questionable FA signings. You won't be missed by me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:36 pm 

So word is out that the Sedin's want to return to Vancouver and play some more. Personally I think the team needs to tank two more years and the Sedin's will hurt the draft ranking. On the other hand, its THE SEDINS. Pretty much give whatever they want to the greatest players in franchise history, they've earned the loyalty.

I want to see them retire as Canucks although if I was them I think I'd take a look at taking a shot with another team and pursue the cup. Anyways if they want to return give them three years and whatever money they want. Saving money on a home town discount just means Benning will have more cash to waste on Loui Ericksson type of free agents deals so might as well spend it on the twins.

Curious what others think?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:39 pm 
Big in Japan

The Canucks can re-sign the Sedins and still finish in the lottery, so they can have it all.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:58 pm 

E.L. wrote:
The Canucks can re-sign the Sedins and still finish in the lottery, so they can have it all.

yes, that is for sure. But the lower they are, the better there lottery % will be.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:29 pm 

Interesting side note I'm reading--if Pierre-Luc Dubois had fallen to Vancouver in the draft that year, P.K. Subban would be a Canuck right now. I'll have to look for a proper link but that's crazy to think about.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 462 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 24  Next