OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:37 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Somewhat surprising news--Avs reportedly (via Dater) will allow Tyson Jost to play in the WJC Tournament coming up.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:01 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Pokecheque wrote:
Somewhat surprising news--Avs reportedly (via Dater) will allow Tyson Jost to play in the WJC Tournament coming up.
Works for me.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:57 pm 

I'll be floored if they let Girard go, even though he's younger. Avs have forward depth to spare, they don't have anywhere near the same luxury on defense. But it all depends on what they wish to accomplish this season.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:24 am 

Okay, so Dater apparently tried out Airbnb for the first time and the results have been disastrous. Check out his timeline, he's live-tweeting his escape and later return to what may or may not be a druggie flophouse (I'm just going off his descriptions here).

www.twitter.com/adater

I don't know whether to laugh or be concerned.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:03 pm 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
Okay, so Dater apparently tried out Airbnb for the first time and the results have been disastrous. Check out his timeline, he's live-tweeting his escape and later return to what may or may not be a druggie flophouse (I'm just going off his descriptions here).

http://www.twitter.com/adater

I don't know whether to laugh or be concerned.

Sounds like it's a good thing his car was blocked in and he couldn't drive it...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:06 pm 

He made it out okay! :lol:

In other news, the Avs (as well as Girard and Jost) are denying any sort of agreement to let either player go to the WJC. Guess Dater is walking back his tweet as well.

I can't help but think though that Bednar tried the 7D experiment as part of a test to see how the team would do without Girard in the lineup for a time. Jost is currently playing a 3rd/4th line winger spot (he's officially listed as a 2nd line guy but Bednar is relying mostly on the MacKinnon and Soderberg lines) so the Avs could probably get by without him. Despite his lack of scoring he's actually played quite well.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:17 pm 

The Curious Case of Joe Colborne continues to fascinate me.

The Denver Post had an article about how he was looking forward to a bounceback season after posting 8 points in 62 games last season (he had 44 the year before). Then they waived him. Everyone thought he'd be the first callup in the event of injury or one of the many young guns just didn't cut it. Nope.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/138959479/

Quote:
Colborne started working his way down the lineup, then it was reported he was a healthy scratch, then it was reported he had a nagging some such keeping him out, then it was reported he wasn't traveling with the team due to some sort of injury, then it was reported he hasn't resumed skating. It's a fair wonder at this point if they just told him to stay home.

Colborne is on the final year of a 2-year deal that pays him $2.5 million this season. I'm surprised the Avs are effectively eating the contract, even one as relatively modest as this one. This is the club that outright refused to use an amnesty buyout (admittedly they didn't have any truly monstrous contracts at the time but they still could've used at least one). They done bubble-wrapped the guy!

I suppose it's not worth expending much energy thinking about a player who never expended that much energy on the ice but still surprising on many fronts.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:46 pm 

Avs' first two draft picks in 2017 (Cale Makar and Conor Timmins make the Team Canada WJC roster. :rock: :Butch: :yayyy: :clint: :kraken:

:D :respek: 8-)

https://www.milehighhockey.com/2017/12/ ... rs-buffalo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:56 pm 

Erik Johnson gets two games for a dangerous hit on Vladislav Namestnikov in the 6-5 loss to the Bolts the other night.

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/12/17/av ... suspended/

Like the Landeskog suspension, it seems a bit harsh but there's absolutely no excuse for behavior like that.

Now we get to see what this team can do without its best all-around defenseman. The last time he was out of the lineup a year ago, the team went on to win FOUR GAMES in all of December and January. I'm guessing they'll be better this time around but that's still a huge loss.

And the first opponent? The Penguins. Then they get to go to L.A. and play the Kings.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:14 pm 

Amusing image from the pre-Christmas brawl between Johnson and Rinaldo. Looks like they think Ekman-Larsson is 3rd man in.

Attachments:
Avs.png
Avs.png [ 2.4 MiB | Viewed 7497 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:27 pm 

So it appears Cale Makar took the opportunity presented with Kale Clague injured and ran with it. Two assists and many are saying he was Canada's best player. I'm also seeing pics of him practicing outdoors today that punches some holes in his so-called listed height. He was listed as a "smallish" 5'11" yet he's standing for pics alongside 6'1" Dante Fabbro and yet they both appear the exact same height.

For the record I'm hearing a lot of good stuff about Conor Timmins as well. Much less flashy but the ability is there. Nice to see some actual blue-chip defensive prospects in the Avs pipeline for once.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:49 pm 

Some interesting numbers the last few games. I'll post them when I find them but basically Bednar put top line against top line and in contests where Nathan MacKinnon faced off against the likes of Sidney Crosby, Auston Matthews, and John Tavares, #29 and his linemates absolutely dominated.

What's also interesting is that it isn't just MacKinnon, or even his linemates. Bednar has also been using Nikita Zadorov as his top shutdown guy against those players and teams and his numbers have basically been Pac-Man when the ghosts turn purple.

This is all small sample size stuff but it's really encouraging to see. Now if they can just avoid games like the home contest against goddamn Arizona, they might finally have something cooking.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:41 pm 

I don't know if the departure of Duchene had anything to do with it (probably had more to do with he and Rantanen being reunited with Landeskog onto one line) but Nathan MacKinnon is on another planet right now.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:24 pm 
OTP Historian

I love that play so much. Unreal.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:29 pm 

In other news, the Central is fracking INSANE right now. The last-place Blackhawks are 18-14-6 in 38 games with 42 points. That'd put them behind only the Bolts, Bruins, and Leafs in the Atlantic.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:38 am 

How bad were the Avalanche last season? Their 7-2 drubbing of the Idlewild tonight earned them their 24th win of the season in game 41, the literal halfway point. That was how many games they won all last year. It's nothing but gravy here on out!

I have never seen an angrier goalie than Devan Dubnyk was tonight, and keep in mind I spent many years watching Patrick Roy. He was SO mad that when Boudreau finally gave him the hook in the 3rd he just stood there in the crease and refused to leave until Stalock was nearly there.

Tonight's Hejduk number retirement ceremony was near-perfect. The Avs have a tendency to go waaaaaaaaaaaaay over the top with these, none worse than putting Sakic's locker under glass (first thing GM Joe Sakic did was move that thing the hell outta the locker room), this ceremony was less about grand gestures. They surprised him by bringing out his old AMP linemates, Peter Forsberg and Alex Tanguay with the Stanley Cup, and then they had the youth hockey team he coaches bring out the banner. Just...awesome.

Sadly, his twin sons David and Marek will not be the Czech-American versions of the Sedins as one of them is a defenseman.

Last number the Avs are gonna retire for the foreseeable future. It'll be nice if more make it up there, but some other banners will need to go up first.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:08 am 

http://www.eliteprospects.com/article.php?id=214

This is probably a bit of wishful thinking but maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan...

Quote:
A first pairing of veteran Erik Johnson sweeping trouble under the rug for a charging Sam Girard, a steady Conor Timmins providing cover for a still-fast Tyson Barrie on the second pairing and a hulking Nikita Zadorov acting as the security blanket for Cale Makars roving antics on the third pair is a dream today. Tomorrow, it could be reality.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:40 pm 

Cale Makar reportedly gets the Team Canada invite from Sean Burke, turns it down.

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status ... 3787822080

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:00 pm 

8-game win streak, 2 more goals and an assist for the Other Kid from Cole Harbour.

Kind of an ugly game though. Avs were probably kinda lucky that Jones was in goal and not Arendelle, because he was pretty bad. They then got into a ton of penalty trouble and Jonathan Bernier had to play the role of hero and keep it out of the net as the Sharks clawed back fro 4-0 to 4-3. Long Beach native and former Shark Matt Nieto put the game away in the closing minutes with a nice deflection goal, also made a great pass from behind the net earlier in the game to set up Carl Soderberg.

Any win streak for any team is always a mix of good play and good luck, last night's game was definitely more of the latter. But the team isn't just some gilded lily--they're not getting shelled every night, and their underlying numbers are actually trending upwards. I imagine they'll hit a rough patch sooner or later but right now I can't say I'm displeased with the current product.

The only downside is that now fans are pushing for Tyson Barrie to be traded since the team is winning without him and Makar/Girard should more than make up for his absence. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:06 pm 
Big in Japan

Avs currently have the last wild-card spot. Nice turnaround. The Central division is separated by 10 points right now -- the ENTIRE division.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next