OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 2017 MLB Season
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:00 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Chris18 wrote:
Gregorius, Bird, etc as well. When they won 4/5 in the late 90s, they had built up the right way too (Jeter, Posada, Pettite, Rivera...), but people jumped all over them for trading for a guy like Paul O'Neil. Who wouldn't??? You build up your team to a point where you can deal from a position of power. I mean, it's kind of like the Avalanche having Roy fall into their laps when they'd had Sakic and Forsberg already, then added Bourque... Were they assholes for taking those guys? Or going for a championship?

Oh I freely admit an organization run by Pierre Lacroix and sporting Patrick Roy and Claude Lemieux might be called a bit dickish. :lol:

Believe it or not I actually loved the Torre-era Yankees. And my two favorite players on those teams were Scott Brosius (a guy more of less discarded by the A's I think it was, then had a Larry Murphy-like resurrection in NY) and Chuck Knoblauch.

I'm not truly mad at the Yankees. Not their fault a elite talent suddenly became available for ridiculously cheap and he had full control where he got to go. But I am mad at MLB for continuing the sham that is the Florida/Miami Marlins when they should've been folded/moved ages ago. This is, what, the third fucking time they've undergone a massive fire sale of assets? And then they allow from one shifty-as-hell owner to an even-shiftier-as-hell owner, and somehow Derek Jeter gets suckered into being the very public face of this.

Just an ugly situation all-around and while it's good for the Yankees, it's lousy for the game.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:25 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
I mean, it's kind of like the Avalanche having Roy fall into their laps when they'd had Sakic and Forsberg already, then added Bourque... Were they assholes for taking those guys? Or going for a championship?

Assholes, 100%

Agreed, 100%. :lol:

And Av, I get your points completely. I just don't like when people hate on the Yankees for something like this. Red Sox fans are flipping their lids about the Evil Empire, while they're the team that paid $56 million to make a phone call to a Japanese UFA a few years back...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:40 pm 

Fuck. Giants land Longoria.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:35 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:

I think it was a good trade, but I'm sad the Giants got older and gave up a solid prospect in Arroyo. He's not going to be a hall-of-famer, but he acted like a pro and his defence was excellent.

The Giants still need two outfielders. Guessing Bruce in RF, Pence shifts to LF and some combination of Hamilton/Jackson/Maybin/Dyson/Gorkys/Duggar in CF.

Oh and they need two swingmen to compensate for losing Moore and having too many unproven guys vying for the rotation.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:58 pm 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:

I think it was a good trade, but I'm sad the Giants got older and gave up a solid prospect in Arroyo. He's not going to be a hall-of-famer, but he acted like a pro and his defence was excellent.

The Giants still need two outfielders. Guessing Bruce in RF, Pence shifts to LF and some combination of Hamilton/Jackson/Maybin/Dyson/Gorkys/Duggar in CF.

Oh and they need two swingmen to compensate for losing Moore and having too many unproven guys vying for the rotation.

Please please please sign Bruce so I can stop hearing about the Jays constantly being linked to him, at least for a bit.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:04 pm 
Big in Japan

Bosc wrote:
Please please please sign Bruce so I can stop hearing about the Jays constantly being linked to him, at least for a bit.

I think the Jays are going to become players if the prices on free agents keeps dropping. Lorenzo Cain is an obvious fit.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:37 pm 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
Bosc wrote:

I think the Jays are going to become players if the prices on free agents keeps dropping. Lorenzo Cain is an obvious fit.

Bruce is 30 and has one >1 war season since 2014, and has been injured fairly frequently. We already have Morales.

Cain is 31 and I was actually surprised by his numbers. But 31 and speed game, defense trending down in CF. I suppose he can move to a corner with Pillar in CF, but that takes value away from the bat. What's the rumoured years/$?

I get we need outfielders, but I'm not thrilled with those two options.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:44 pm 
Big in Japan

Bruce goes back to the Mets. Jays and Giants dodge a bullet, in a sense (I honestly don't mind the $$$ he got).

Giants sound like they're back on Cain, lost draft pick and international bonus pool money be damned. They traded Arroyo, so it's pretty clear they're looking to win now. Cain would be a nice piece.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:01 pm 
Big in Japan

Longoria and McCutchen. Giants going for name brands here, even if they're a bit old. Both can still mash, and Longo is solid at 3B. Cutch can handle LF/RF.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:38 am 
OTP Historian

Jays pick up Granderson for $5 mil. I'll take it over Jay Bruce.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:45 am 

Glad I'm not a Pirates fan.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:24 pm 
Big in Japan

Bosc wrote:

They should really sign Cain. Could be a bargain now with SF probably out.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:33 pm 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
Bosc wrote:

They should really sign Cain. Could be a bargain now with SF probably out.

31+speed game along with the aging guys that they already have, though...how long will he be value on the contract?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:50 pm 
Big in Japan

I like what Toronto has done this offseason: Diaz and Solarte are versatile infielders who can hit, Grichuk has upside and Granderson still has some pop. Now they need a pitcher or two. I'd sign Darvish and go for that Wild Card spot. Why not? Baltimore and Tampa are about to rebuild and Boston hasn't added anyone of note yet.

According to Peter Gammons, Jose Bautista went to the eye doctor and discovered he's blind as a bat. Maybe he's still got another season in him with contacts?

Giants add a 4th OF in Austin Jackson. He's fine as long as he keeps to 350 AB's or so.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:50 pm 
OTP Historian

What I can't stop thinking about recently with the Jays is what has stopped the Jays from aggressively pursuing a Donaldson contract for the past 3 frigging years? He went through multiple arbitrations. Why not buy out some arbitration years and free agents years 33-35 or something, rather than continuing to go to arbitration until he's fucking 32 years old and then signing him long-term for years 33-38? Donaldson must be aware of your regular aging curves and say, ok, maybe signing a big deal now rather than wait and risk something happening. He's made 16 mil or so the past 2 seasons and 23 or so this year. It's not like a long-term deal at 20-mil or something would have been crippling the payroll.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:24 pm 
Big in Japan

Vladdy in the Hall!

(And Chipper, Thome and Hoffman)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:03 am 

All very deserving.

Still...no Larry Walker. I'm still a little ambivalent about him, so I'm not really that miffed, but I can see the arguments for.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:09 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
All very deserving.

Still...no Larry Walker. I'm still a little ambivalent about him, so I'm not really that miffed, but I can see the arguments for.

I love Larry. Was my favourite player before Vlady. His career WAR (21st all-time) puts him in the Hall of Fame. Contrary to popular belief, his numbers away from Coors were stellar. But he hit SOOOOOOO well at Coors, videogame-like, that I wouldn't begrudge anyone who didn't vote for him. He also missed two seasons' worth of games over his career due to injuries, which makes his numbers all the more remarkable but within the context of voting for the Hall probably hurts him. He could've hit 400 HR, 300 SB and made it a guarantee.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:51 pm 
Big in Japan

MLB announced that Cleveland will phase out the Chief Wahoo logo for 2019. They'll still sell it in some retail stores to keep the copyright, but not at the ballpark.

Of course, they're still called the Indians, so they're not fully rid of their racist aesthetic just yet.