OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:45 pm 

Good breakdown on how Brock is doing it. In few minutes per game, fewer total games, and without a competent setup guy he's managing to compete with the best goal scorers in the league. As good as he has been, if he had the advantages of Ovechkin or Tavares it seems likely he'd be doing even better than 21 goals.

https://canucksarmy.com/2017/12/29/no-one-in-the-goal-scoring-race-is-getting-as-little-help-as-brock-boeser/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:07 am 
OTP Historian

Might be behind Athletic paywall. Bourne on Boeser.

https://theathletic.com/163351/2017/11/ ... rist-shot/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:24 pm 
Promoted from Lt. Chaos

https://www.bardown.com/canucks-fans-design-epic-shirts-of-brock-boeser-s-flow-for-fundraising-campaign-1.924477

"The Flow"

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:21 pm 

December rookie of the month

https://canucksarmy.com/2018/01/02/brock-boeser-named-nhl-rookie-of-the-month-for-december/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:28 pm 
Promoted from Lt. Chaos

:viking:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:54 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

He good, but now I'm worried he made his UND linemate Tyson Jost look better than he actually was. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:15 am 
King of the One-Liner

First viewing of him was this weekend. Gets his chances and can finish. As well it is not like any one should be caught off guard and not game planing for him.

The fact that he gets the puck on his stick in such good scoring spots that has an opposing fan think "why are you not covering that guy of all guys" reminds me stylistically of Brett Hull.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:49 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
First viewing of him was this weekend. Gets his chances and can finish. As well it is not like any one should be caught off guard and not game planing for him.

The fact that he gets the puck on his stick in such good scoring spots that has an opposing fan think "why are you not covering that guy of all guys" reminds me stylistically of Brett Hull.

Brett Hull is the normal comparison Van fans associate with him. His skating is not great but better than Hull's. his release is ridiculously quick and accuracy excellent and a lot of power on his shot. And I think after 20 games we expected him to slow down as there is so little talent on the Nucks it would make it easy for the NHL to focus on defending him once they realized what a threat he was. However it doesn't seem to matter. He plays with everyone on the team and makes anyone he plays with better. With Horvat out he's turning Sam Gange into a stud. That is a huge weight for a rookie to carry, and he is carrying it. He's the real deal.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:57 am 
Old Man of the Post

I've been impressed how his game is changing before our very eyes. He's now holding on to the puck just a second longer when the opposing d try to shut him down. He finds the trailer and creates a scoring opportunity out of nowhere. Unfortunately, the guys on the ice with him don't share his shot precision. Or accuracy. Or game sense. Or confidence.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:08 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I'm no hockey historian but I imagine the league might be hard-pressed to find a more accurate shooter.

This really good piece from The Athletic gives some insight into why that is. I believe this one is free, I highly recommend you read it.

https://theathletic.com/222215/2018/01/ ... n-the-nhl/

Apparently he practiced in the driveway shooting for hours and hours, refusing to come in if he ever struggled.

More importantly, this young man did not have an easy road to the NHL at all. Again, y'all should really read the article. This is the kind of player I can root for no matter what uniform he wears.

On a happier note, he earned NHL ASG MVP honors and won his skills competition with ease. It earned him a whole bunch of prize money and a car, which he said he will give to his sister.