OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2018 Olympics
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:49 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Holy shit- https://sports.yahoo.com/russia-banned-2018-winter-olympics-pyeongchang-183735604.html?soc_trk=gcm&soc_src=0d628734-b637-11e5-a390-fa163e2c24a6&.tsrc=notification-brknews

Post subject: Re: 2018 Olympics
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:03 pm 
King of Men

There is a documentary on Netflix titled "Icarus"......goes into great detail about this. Highly recommended.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:57 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Didn't think they'd have the guts to do it.

I may be speaking out of turn, but I think state-sponsored doping (or at least state-turn-a-blind-eye-to-it doping) is fairly prevalent, but at first glance it appears Russia is the first one to be pretty brazen about it.

I think the IOC is a corrupt-as-all-hell institution but I'll give them credit for doing the right thing here.

FTR Russian athletes, if they chose to compete and won, would see the Olympic flag raised and the Olympic anthem would be played. The official Olympic Anthem is one of the most lame songs I've ever heard. They should just go with the stuff John Williams cooked up for NBC's Olympic coverage. WAY better.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:00 pm 
King of Men

Quote:
Ask yourself whether the IOC action would have happened without @IcarusNetflix and @bryanfogel. I strongly suspect the answer to this question is no. Before the film came out, the entire international sporting world was beavering away at letting Russia off the hook.
— Benjamin Wittes (@benjaminwittes) December 5, 2017

Quote:
The aim of anti-Russian propagandists in the West is quite clearly to portray Russia as a 'doping nation' that never tells the truth. But, as that wise old saying goes, if you point one finger, you have three pointing back at you.

As I wrote here, it was only in 2003 when allegations were made by a top American official about widespread US doping:

Wade Exum, the US Olympic Committee's former Director of Drug Control, handed over more than 30,000 pages of documents to Sports Illustrated magazine and the Orange County Register, which he said showed that over 100 American athletes had failed drug tests between 1988-2000, but had still been allowed to compete.

Carl Lewis, the US Olympian later admitted he had tested positive for banned substances before the 1988 Games in Seoul where he won Gold but claimed that 'hundreds' of fellow Americans had also escaped bans.

"There were hundreds of people getting off," Lewis said. "Everyone was treated the same."

But guess what? There was no McLaren style report and no blanket ban on US athletes. And no film made about the story like Icarus.

https://www.rt.com/op-edge/412124-russi ... -cold-war/

Well I suppose there is always 3 sides to every story.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:53 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

harmfuljays wrote:
Well I suppose there is always 3 sides to every story.

Yeah; my side, your side, and the truth.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:35 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I think the whole "Ban Russia but let them compete under this weird OAR banner" has backfired a bit. It's just given them a rallying cry.

On a side note, I've officially become a biathlon fan during these olympics. Sat and watched some of it on NBCSN, it doesn't get a whole lot of coverage because the US usually doesn't do shit in nordic events of any kind.

The physical strain of the skiing alone coupled with the pressure of hitting five tiny-as-all-hell targets within a matter of seconds is unreal. And when they miss it's usually by a very small amount. It was a photo finish in the men's event the other night.

And it's just a coincidence that a few of the female competitors are kinda hot. Case in point (some kinda NSFW stuff near the bottom of the article):

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/5567372/ ... bond-girl/

Lastly, going back to the OAR thing...why in fuck would you dope for curling!?