OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:51 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

https://www.nhl.com/fans/nhl-global-series-sweden

Oh, so rife with drama. Neither team has played a game since the Big Trade went down.

Ironically, Big Swede Carl Soderberg, who has played astonishingly well after a disastrous year, will likely not be available for these two. He's still in Colorado awaiting the birth of his first child.

And other Swedes Anton Lindholm and Patrik Nemeth will not play on account of injury. Bummer.

Both Swedish Captains will of course be available.

Will post lineups as they become available, but the Avs one will look VERY different because of the trade (duh) and guys going down /coming back from injury.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:42 pm 
King of Men

And its blacked out so I can't watch it! Damn you NHL!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:44 pm 

Is it really? I'd have thunk they'd put the fucking thing on NBCSN. If not they need to knock on ESPN's door again.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:49 pm 
King of Men

Yep NHL Network for Both games. Blacked out on the package.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:24 pm 

Lame. NBC should be carrying game 1 at the very least. It's at 1 in the afternoon (noon your time).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:09 pm 

Projected lineup for Colorado. I believe they are the "home" team for the first game.

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Andrighetto - Kerfoot - Yakupov
Nieto - Compher - Comeau
Bourque - Wilson - Grimaldi

Barberio - Johnson
Barrie - Girard :shock:
Bigras - Zadorov

Varlamov

Looks like Jost is still out with injury, as are Lindholm and Nemeth (bummer for them...two Swedes who don't get to play in front of their home country), Compher and Wilson back in after missing significant time. Soderberg will miss at least the first game, still awaiting the birth of his first child.

Say what you will about Jared Bednar, but don't call him conventional. Even with his job possibly on the line he's willing to try some crazy stuff and doesn't mind at all using young players/rookies in vital roles. Case in point: Icing a Barrie/Girard pairing even though conventional wisdom suggests they're gonna get pushed all over the ice. We'll see how long it lasts (so far Barberio has looked out of place on the top pairing, I'm more concerned about that) but I like his thinking.

The Sens will likely ice this lineup:

Smith - Duchene - Hoffman
Dzingel - Brassard - Stone
Pyatt - Pageau - Burrows
DiDomenico - Thompson - Harpur (??? He's a defenseman isn't he?)

Claesson - Karlsson
Phaneuf - Oduya
Wideman - Ceci

Our old friend Craig Anderson in nets.

I'm told the Avs and Sens were allowed to bring three goalies in case of injuries. The Avs opted to bring Joe Cannata from their ECHL affiliate, not sure who the Sens brought...it wasn't Andrew Hammond though.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:12 pm 

Also, close call for Alex Kerfoot, who had to be rushed to the ER due to a peanut allergy reaction, but didn't even miss practice time. Tough kid.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:13 pm 
Big in Japan

Was in Stockholm in August. Man, it was beautiful, and expensive!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:04 pm 

Well, I wasn't thrilled with Colorado's effort in Game 1. Hope they do better this time around. Varlamov was good but not great...but I'm tired of this team requiring the goaltender to play perfect for this team to win.

Surprisingly, Landeskog looked a little nervous. And while he was scrambling back due to a VERY bad change in OT, he completely forgot to cover Stone on what ended up being a ridiculously easy GWG.

The good news: Sam Girard is waaaaaay fun to watch! Man he looks amazing out there. I can't imagine if he continues to play like that he will be sent down.

Alex Kerfoot, who, again, was in the hospital roughly 24 hours before the game, looked perfectly comfortable in Duchene's spot on the 2nd line. I'd prefer him on the wing but hey, he's been a fantastic pickup thus far. Assisted on Yakupov's goal and scored one of his own off the deflection. Also showed great chemistry with Girard.

The Sens scored their 3rd goal due to a soft, lazy effort by Nikita Zadorov, and the coach noticed. He's been benched again. Unfortunately that means Andrei Mironov, who's been horrendous thus far, is back in.