OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: ROOTbeer Hockey
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:28 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Hounsy wrote:
My son's top of the line Bauer composite is flaking paint all over, have not seen it with my sticks but yes on his.

Hmm. I thought it was because I bought the bottom of the barrel Bauer. That's not cool if his top of the line one is flaking too! Think Bauer has a bit of a QC problem here...

Random side note- was given a ton of ANCIENT goalie stuff by a "friend" who was cleaning his stuff out of his parents' house after moving. Gave me a bunch of moldy/rusty skates, pair of goalie skates that were so dry rotted, the tongue just FELL OFF when I picked it up.... The one and only useful thing is an old Christian stick that will be a nice backup for Miss18.2 for a year or 2. Good to have, since I wasn't about to drop $90 on a backup.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:32 pm 
King of the One-Liner

My son only took one stick to the rink can not see 9 -10 year olds breaking it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:55 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
My son only took one stick to the rink can not see 9 -10 year olds breaking it.

I have seen it happen a few times randomly, even with kids that young. And with the thing flaking paint, I am afraid it's a Friday afternoon-made stick and will shit the bed at the worst possible time. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:57 am 

Hockey parents are bat shit crazy. That is all.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:27 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Chris18 wrote:
Hockey parents are bat shit crazy. That is all.

agreed and that is only house league I see. Though the flip side for me in Baseball season is that 90% of the parents are there with complete indifference, the contrast is something.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:01 am 
King of the One-Liner

Son starts in a week and a half. Dodged a bullet as he last minute decided to back out travel try outs and elect to stay in house league for "at least another year" as he put it. Turns out they did not have a ton of goalies trying out. He may of made it anyway he is good, but other fathers questioning why I didn't send him said he would have made it easily. The kid loves games and not so fond of practice so travel likely would have become a burden and this gives him a chance to be a better player for a year rather than just trying to get by at a higher level in his second year on the ice. Left it up to him but happy with the choice as a lot less driving for me.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:54 am 

Hounsy wrote:
Son starts in a week and a half. Dodged a bullet as he last minute decided to back out travel try outs and elect to stay in house league for "at least another year" as he put it. Turns out they did not have a ton of goalies trying out. He may of made it anyway he is good, but other fathers questioning why I didn't send him said he would have made it easily. The kid loves games and not so fond of practice so travel likely would have become a burden and this gives him a chance to be a better player for a year rather than just trying to get by at a higher level in his second year on the ice. Left it up to him but happy with the choice as a lot less driving for me.

I wish we had a house league for my younger kid.
Cool to see that he's making the decision and not wanting to go for the higher league automatically. Most kids jump at the chance to play travel, just because it sounds cooler.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:11 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Chris18 wrote:
Cool to see that he's making the decision and not wanting to go for the higher league automatically. Most kids jump at the chance to play travel, just because it sounds cooler.

Around here it seems the parents are always pushing it as well. If he wanted to he could play double A this year as no goalie has agreed to play that level due to travel requirements. There is a few times they travel just over two hours on a week night to play one game....ten year olds...four hours round trip on a week night....it's nuts.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:25 pm 
OTP Historian

Hounsy wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Around here it seems the parents are always pushing it as well. If he wanted to he could play double A this year as no goalie has agreed to play that level due to travel requirements. There is a few times they travel just over two hours on a week night to play one game....ten year olds...four hours round trip on a week night....it's nuts.

Yeah aren't like Guelph and Milton in some Niagara Falls loops?

With the money you'd save on everything associated with rep, he could probably do some goalie schools if he wanted to.

I remember one year of single-A we used to travel 1h-1.5h each way to fucking Fergus and Arthur only to get annihilated every game by the farm boys. No shot counts but Dad figured we were getting 40-50 a game out there. As a goalie you were either getting shelled for a full game, half of a game or sitting on the bench watching the other team get shelled. We were bad that year, but to this day I say fuck Fergus and Arthur.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:35 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Bosc wrote:
Hounsy wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Orangeville apparently is the worse one.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:07 pm 
OTP Historian

Hounsy wrote:
Bosc wrote:
Hounsy wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Orangeville apparently is the worse one.

Fucking hell that's like 45 minutes from Milton alone. That drive from Niagara Falls in the winter and you have to be there 30-45 minutes before the game? Fuck, that's ridiculous.

My younger brother played a few years in AAA growing up(with Danny Syvret, Kyle Quincey and against Nathan Horton) and for a few years and his home rink was in Orangeville.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:12 pm 

Miss18.1 is finally becoming the player I always knew she could be. She scored a great goal today by shooting right off the faceoff and following up to jam home her 2nd rebound. The D looked stunned at the play. She's tried that one before and will probably try all the time now that it worked. :lol: She was chosen as a co-captain, despite being 2 years younger than quite a few of the girls on the team. I took over as coach and have them all playing like her- relentless on forechecks and backchecks. I modified the old "forecheck, backcheck, paycheck" to be "forecheck, backcheck, tuition check!". A few want to go to prep schools but their parents don't want to foot the bill. So I told them to play their way onto prep school teams.

Miss18.2 is having a ton of fun playing D on her squirt team. She's not so happy that BOTH of our goalies will be away for the same weekend, so she'll have to put the pads back on for 2 games in Dec. :lol: I bought them after she committed to it, and as I told her, she's damn lucky to have two goalies on her team so she doesn't have to play all the time. She got a nice assist the other day, shooting through a ton of skates on net, where a teammate put home the rebound. Of course, that other kid also plays D so I'm still trying to figure out wtf he was doing down there, but it's squirt B so positioning is optional. :lol: Her team is ALL rookies, but are busting their butts to learn the game. Good group of parents, and great coaches.

I haven't had this much fun coaching in years! :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:42 am 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Miss18.1 is finally becoming the player I always knew she could be. She scored a great goal today by shooting right off the faceoff and following up to jam home her 2nd rebound. The D looked stunned at the play. She's tried that one before and will probably try all the time now that it worked. :lol: She was chosen as a co-captain, despite being 2 years younger than quite a few of the girls on the team. I took over as coach and have them all playing like her- relentless on forechecks and backchecks. I modified the old "forecheck, backcheck, paycheck" to be "forecheck, backcheck, tuition check!". A few want to go to prep schools but their parents don't want to foot the bill. So I told them to play their way onto prep school teams.

Miss18.2 is having a ton of fun playing D on her squirt team. She's not so happy that BOTH of our goalies will be away for the same weekend, so she'll have to put the pads back on for 2 games in Dec. :lol: I bought them after she committed to it, and as I told her, she's damn lucky to have two goalies on her team so she doesn't have to play all the time. She got a nice assist the other day, shooting through a ton of skates on net, where a teammate put home the rebound. Of course, that other kid also plays D so I'm still trying to figure out wtf he was doing down there, but it's squirt B so positioning is optional. :lol: Her team is ALL rookies, but are busting their butts to learn the game. Good group of parents, and great coaches.

I haven't had this much fun coaching in years! :D

Great stuff, Chris :D

Hounsy, what year was Hudson born again? My nephew was playing out in the Falls recently, he's 2010.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:54 am 
King of the One-Liner

Hey Chris good to see the nose for the net instinct is built in. Take your shot and stop playing is a bad and common habit.

Hudson is a 2007, major Atom. He had a slow start out of the gate this season as he did not touch his gear or ice once during off season and had a couple of stinkers, but the last two games he was back on track. Was a good goalie teaching moment got to explain to him that sometimes in net it is going to go be mostly your fault, good and bad. Keep practicing and learning and it will more often than not be good. But even then the bad days will happen from time to time and it's not a big deal that is just goaltending.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:53 am 
OTP Historian

Hounsy wrote:
Hey Chris good to see the nose for the net instinct is built in. Take your shot and stop playing is a bad and common habit.

Hudson is a 2007, major Atom. He had a slow start out of the gate this season as he did not touch his gear or ice once during off season and had a couple of stinkers, but the last two games he was back on track. Was a good goalie teaching moment got to explain to him that sometimes in net it is going to go be mostly your fault, good and bad. Keep practicing and learning and it will more often than not be good. But even then the bad days will happen from time to time and it's not a big deal that is just goaltending.

Ahh ok, I thought he was at least a couple years older.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:49 pm 

Thanks guys. Felt the need to brag, but figured I'd do it in a semi-anonymous forum, that only you two and Av read. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:52 pm 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

Chris18 wrote:
Thanks guys. Felt the need to brag, but figured I'd do it in a semi-anonymous forum, that only you two and Av read. :lol:

Ahem, glad you are having fun...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:16 pm 

RW wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Ahem, glad you are having fun...

Thanks Skip!
I don't recall ever seeing you in here before. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:27 pm 
King of the One-Liner

My son's coach is wearing Milton Winterhawk sweats. That can't be good. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:30 am 
OTP Historian

Hounsy wrote:
My son's coach is wearing Milton Winterhawk sweats. That can't be good. ;)

Lol. Name?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 19  Next