OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:15 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

While the Avs are struggling of late both on the scoreboard and on the injury front, they can at least say that so far, Alex Kerfoot was a good investment.

https://www.milehighhockey.com/2017/10/ ... nsung-hero

He may not be racking up the points Will Butcher is in Jersey right now but he's still having a big impact.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:29 pm 

Much-needed victory against the Stahs last night. Because of injuries Bednar promoted the usual 4th line (Nieto-Soderberg-Comeau) and used them as his primary checkers against Dallas's superline of Benn-Seguin-

Still very concerned with the starts of MacKinnon and Rantanen. Both look completely lost out there. MacKinnon especially looks like he has zero confidence. I think they should put him with Yak and Landy so he can start playing like a punk-ass and using his physicality as a tool, that's when he's at his best. Put Duchene with Rants and Ghetto, keep Kerfoot with the newbies.

Also, Erik Johnson played nearly 30 minutes last night, WAY too long. The Avs have the depth even with Nemeth out to give him fewer minutes, and frankly EJ is terrible on the power play. Barrie and Barberio are much better guys to QB the power play, and Bigras can rotate in as needed. Hell, I think even Zadorov has a better shot from the point than Johnson.

Also a bit of controversy following the game. Hitch decided to pull Ben Bishop in a one-goal game, and Bishop was having none of it in the postgame.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/news/be ... 554g92l44z

To his credit Hitch addressed any brewing hubbub well.

What's funny is that the Stars posted Bishop's comments on their own Twitter feed, didn't even pretend to cover it with sunshine and unicorn farts like most NHL clubs would.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:11 pm 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
Much-needed victory against the Stahs last night. Because of injuries Bednar promoted the usual 4th line (Nieto-Soderberg-Comeau) and used them as his primary checkers against Dallas's superline of Benn-Seguin-

I like that it doesn't even matter who else is on the line to be a superline.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:32 pm 

Whoops... :lol: Radulov is so fast I can't even type his name!

I checked the box score, sure looks like Hitch is no fan of Jason Spezza. I gotta admit I barely noticed him out there last night. Hard to believe he's nearly 35 now.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:30 pm 

Not that this is some sort of shock but it's clear Jared Bednar is a dead coach walking. It's too bad too, because I think from a tactical standpoint that he's a very good coach. His systems are ideal for the new analytics-heavy NHL and he isn't averse to putting youth, speed, and skill in a position to succeed. He's not overly enamored with shot blockers and grinders like so many other coaches.

Unfortunately, he pretty much lost the room last year when things went straight to hell in December 2016 and you can tell while the players are doing what he says, they're not putting it in that extra gear. This is especially true of Nathan MacKinnon, who just looks plain lost and hesitant right now. I'm not saying they're outright trying to get him fired, but they don't look motivated in the way you'd expect. Whether this happens at the end of the year or mid-season depends on how things go I suppose, but I would be beyond shocked if Bednar were behind the bench in October of 2018.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:35 pm 

First game in what feels like forever. NHL schedule makers are the worst.

The Denver Post has been getting absolutely SLAGGED in their Avs coverage, and rightfully so. Mike Chambers is pretty much the only guy left after both Terry Frei and Adrian Dater were both forced out. His last piece, critical of the Avs for buying out Francois Beauchemin was, to put it lightly, not received well.

But Rox beat reporter Nick Groke at least does a fine fluff piece on four Avs rookies currently living together--Kerfoot, Bigras, Compher, and Jost. Best stuff they've done in a while.

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/11/01/av ... -movement/

Apologies in advance for the autoplay video but it features Alexis Rae so it's not all bad.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:12 pm 

Avs win against the Still-Not-Quite-Good Carolina Hurricanes 5-3. Goals from Rantanen, Nemeth (his first in the NHL), Comeau, Soderberg, and Landeskog. Pretty much a typical game for both teams. Avs lose big-time in possession metrics (Canes put SIXTY SHOTS on goal) but still somehow manage to win the game.

Trouble brewing with Jared Bednar's treatment of Nikita Zadorov, but I think it's a bit overblown. Zads had 3 or 4 really bad games in a row, and other players who'd normally come out are doing well, so he's sat the last three games. After last night's performance though I think both he and Chris Bigras need to rotate back in. Avs fans are pushing for them to go with 11F/7D, and I think it's a pretty good idea given the current roster makeup.

Also, I think Nail Yakupov's time in the NHL will end once the Avs get one more healthy body back. He looked completely disengaged last night and was virtually invisible. I don't think I've ever seen a player with a bigger talent/hockey IQ disparity than him. A shame really because he seems by all accounts to be a really likable guy, but he's squandering his third NHL opportunity. Dude just needs to go back to Russia I guess, and I wouldn't be surprised if he busts there too.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:17 am 

So...the Avs get the following in the Duchene deal:

D Samuel Girard (NSH)
F Vladislav Kamenev (NSH)
G Andrew "Hamburglar" Hammond (OTT)
F Shane Bowers (OTT)
Ottawa's 1st rounder in 2018 or 2019 (It's protected in the event it's a top-ten pick in 2018)
Nashville's 2nd rounder in 2018
Ottawa's 3rd rounder in 2019

Seven assets for one player. Hammond is the only one I wonder about...the Avs are in an interesting situation in that they could definitely use more goaltending depth, but because they're sharing their AHL affiliate with St. Louis (and they have the better goalie prospect in Ville Husso) I have no idea where they can even put him. I think he's a UFA after this year so...whatever. I hope they do something with him before that happens of course.

I hear Bowers is a good all-around player, which the Avs still need more of. Pics of him are ridiculous though. If I can find it I'll post one of him at the draft sitting next to Nathan MacKinnon. Dude looks like he's 12. I also understand Kamenev has a very good two-way acumen. Avs still desperately need those type of players.

Girard has had a cup of coffee in the NHL thus far and scored an awesome goal for the Preds during that time. Not very big, but very fast and good with the puck. However, this raises some questions as to what the Avs will do now that they have Tyson Barrie on the team and Cale Makar in the pipeline. That's three very talented, very fast, and very small defenders. They can't all be on the same roster...or can they?

Lastly, there's the picks. Last time the Avs had a lottery-protected pick was in 2011. Just so happens the Blues ended up with the 11th overall pick so the protection didn't apply (good thing too because it otherwise would've been a much lower pick in 2012). Unfortunately the Avs went and picks Sask's favorite defender Duncan Siemens, who has gone bust in a pretty bad way (though amazingly he's still with the organization in the AHL). Avs cannot afford to whiff on these picks like they did on that one. It's small comfort knowing the Avs fired the guy who made that pick a couple seasons ago, and the new draft guru, Alan Hepple, appears to be a lot better at his job than Rick Pracey was.

All in all I'm sad it came down to this but pleased that Sakic got a pretty massive haul in exchange for a top-tier talent. Unfortunately that one very good trade doesn't erase years of mistakes and miscues. Hope Dutchy does well in Ottawa...though if he stays relatively quiet in his next two games I'll be fine with that. :laugh:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:22 pm 

Avs with yet another interminable four-day break between games. I get that the trip overseas required a bit more shakedown time but geez...

Practicing with the current lineup, newest Av Vladislav Kamenev joins the team:

Landy-MacK-Rantanen
Wilson-Kerfoot-Compher
Nieto-Soderberg-Comeau
Andrighetto-Kamanev-Yakupov

Tyson Jost reportedly was on the ice but isn't ready yet.

Sounds like they'll be keeping Samuel Girard for now, which is awesome. Sounds like they're going to try him with Johnson next. I'm guessing Mark Barberio will be the next to sit. Anton Lindholm is still out but right now there are nine (!) defenders on the roster, seven healthy. Tough choices coming up soon.

AJ Greer and Rocco "Christrian Rapper" Grimaldi have been sent back to San Antonio. I think Greer will be a solid depth guy for them going forward, but much as I like scrappy little Rocco, he's a career AHLer.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:35 pm 

Some good news, some bad news, some somewhat surprising news.

Zadorov is back in.

Barrie is out (injury, hopefully not serious...he's skating in practice at least but has the dreaded redshirt on).

Tyson Jost has been sent down to San Antonio, which is fine. He needs the work, especially after getting injured. He obviously hasn't had the same start as his old college linemate and fellow rookie Brock Boeser but he wasn't quite as highly regarded either. Still, they're counting on him to eventually shore up what was lost in the Duchene trade.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:40 am 

Un-fucking-believable.

Vlad Kamenev in his Avs debut (and only third NHL game) breaks his arm after a clean (but brutal) hit by Brooks Orpik. Out indefinitely.

:fffffuck:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:43 am 
Big in Japan

Did Patrick Roy curse the Avs on the way out? Because some days I think he cursed the Habs too.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:24 pm 

I think Roy did way more damage with his shitty personnel decisions and poor coaching than he ever could have tryin' to give the Avs The Whammy.

Avs rout the Caps 6-2 last night despite the loss of yet another player. Bednar has said despite the newest injury that Tyson Jost is gonna stay on the farm for now. Which is fine. I'm guessing Gabe Bourque gets to play or they call up A.J. Greer.

I was relieved with the rout that Tom Wilson didn't go full goon on someone. I hope Kuznetsov gets fined at the very least for his dirty-as-hell hit on Alex Kerfoot. Hit him from behind going into end boards and had him in a headlock as well. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:35 pm 

Well...this is a pleasant surprise. The Avs call up their other NCAA FA pickup, center Dominic Toninato, who by all accounts has been very good in his inaugural pro season. He is a purely defensive forward, something the Avs have very little of, so I'm very excited to see where they put him. I assume he centers the 4th line to start. Not entirely sure what qualifies as the "4th line" as I'm guessing Bednar doesn't want to break up the trio of Nieto-Soderberg-Comeau right now.

It should be noted that Joe Colborne has all but disappeared. Playing 3rd/4th line minutes in San Antonio and is 2-2-4 in 13 games. He's currently on the final year of a one-way deal that pays him $2.5 million.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:26 pm 

It should be noted Dominic Toninato nearly got wiped out in his first game just like Kamenev did his, difference being that Toninato's was the result of a blatant cheap shot that led to a 5-minute major penalty and later, 2-game suspension for Austin Watson. Thankfully it didn't lead to injury.

Somewhat surprising to see Jared Bednar make Sven Andrighetto a healthy scratch in favor of Gabriel Bourque for tonight's contest against the Stars. Don't like the move, even though Bourque is a much more ideal 4th liner than Ghetto. He's been productive as a 2nd line forward thus far, I think you keep him up there somehow, bump the underwhelming Colin Wilson if you have to.

And lo and behold, it looks like all players acquired in the Duchene trade will wear the uniform at least once. Andrew "Hamburglar" Hammond will suit up as the backup to Jon Bernier tonight, Varly is out with the flu. He was "on loan" in Belleville since the Avs couldn't bring him to their own affiliate, so in essence he was gonna get traded or dumped at season's end. Turns out they need him!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:48 am 

Pretty bad loss last night to the Flames. A somewhat dominant period of hockey in the 2nd completely unravels in 30 seconds due to two lazy turnovers that end up in the net.

Overall this team is hanging in there. They're not dominating really in any one respect. But this looks like progress because they're nowhere near the tire fire they were last season.

But there are some new problems. The Avs have been getting by thanks to the stellar play of their newly-formed top line of Landeskog-MacKinnon-Rantanen, but are getting very little out of the rest of the lineup. Losing Duchene lost them some stability and they've been flailing a bit since. Not sure who takes that 2C spot but it's going to be By Committee until someone steps up.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:21 am 

2C in waiting? Brock Boeser's former center Tyson Jost gets called back up. The Hamburglar is returned to the AHL.

Avs also have a problem brewing with Sven Andrighetto. Landed himself in the doghouse a bit, but I think Bednar is making a mistake using him essentially as a 12th-13th forward. He's no good as a depth guy, he's either scoring or he's useless. I'm also not keen with two of the better shot generators (Ghetto and Yak) both on the same line, especially since those two guys are easily the worst players on the team away from the puck. We'll see what they do to rectify this but some lineup changes are warranted. It'll be interesting to see what they do with Jost. I'm guessing they stick him on wing to start.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:31 pm 

Landeskog reportedly practicing as a 13th forward, so that means a suspension is upcoming for the cross-checking incident with Son of a Tkachuk the other night.

Lines for Wednesday's game appear to be...

Andrighetto - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Kerfoot - Jost - Compher (all rookie)
Nieto - Soderberg - Comeau
Bourque - Toninato - Yakupov

What's strange is that there's no Wilson either. Hmmmmm...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:12 pm 

Holy shit...four games!?!? That's ridiculous.

It should be a suspendable offense no doubt, but that's crazy-ass high.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:23 pm 

http://ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/ ... g-senators

Quote:
You can bet teams are calling to see if the Senators have any interest in moving Ceci, who has been a lightning rod for criticism. The Avalanche wanted Ceci as part of the deal that brought Duchene here last month, however, Dorion wasn’t going to give him up and got Nashville involved to help make the deal reality.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next