OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:07 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I'll add this--I think the specter of Pierre Lacroix still looms large in this organization. Sakic wants to pull a Lacroix-style trade just like Pierre used to do when things got rough. Doesn't work that way anymore, and Lacroix himself was less than exemplary in the salary cap era. I wish this organization would do more to turn the page on the glory days that are two decades in the past now. To their credit, Roy and Sakic fired Lacroix crony Rick Pracey not long after they took over, and the Avs' drafting seems to have benefited from the move. But IMO there are still too many people from his regime still around, and I'm not sure why. I think there still needs to be a completed upending in the Pepsi Center before they really start to make strides toward being a contender again.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:49 am 

Some very honest quotes from Matt Duchene, who, like the rest of us, is ready for this fucking shitshow to end.

https://www.milehighhockey.com/2017/8/2 ... es-rumours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:42 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Pokecheque wrote:
Some very honest quotes from Matt Duchene, who, like the rest of us, is ready for this fucking shitshow to end.

https://www.milehighhockey.com/2017/8/2 ... es-rumours

I think the only person on the planet who doesn't want this to end is Sakic. I keep checking sites just to see if he's been moved yet. I guess it's great for hockey news sites for that reason, if they realize that's why people like me are hitting their sites.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:27 pm 

Not sure where else to put this, but Lambert dedicates a big chunk of his "What We Learned" column to the Will Butcher situation.

https://sports.yahoo.com/learned-will-b ... soc_trk=tw

My take: Yes, the Avs mishandled this situation like they have so many others, but I'm still not convinced Butcher will be an NHLer, let alone a great NHLer. I hope he proves me and the rest of the doubters wrong, but I'm still a doubter nonetheless. Lambert fails to mention that Butcher is not only not big, but also not fast. I don't recall the last blueliner who had a successful career despite both those limitations. Ian White, perhaps?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:24 pm 

Whaddaya know, the Avs announce a contract signing, but not at all the one fans were expecting.

Dominic Toninato, LW and formerly a UMD property and 5th round draft pick by the Leafs back in 2012, signs in Colorado.

https://theleafsnation.com/2017/07/04/m ... part-ways/

Interesting, the same day Will Butcher, also a 5th round pick, spurns the Avs to pursue free agency, the Avs sign a different NCAA free agent.

Seems like an interesting player, not a huge producer of offense but reportedly a solid two-way guy. Avs need more of those so I like the signing.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:34 pm 
Big in Japan

Avalanche sign Harvard F Alex Kerfoot as consolation for letting the local boy slide through their fingers.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:46 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

E.L. wrote:
Avalanche sign Harvard F Alex Kerfoot as consolation for letting the local boy slide through their fingers.
West Vancouver boy. Potential 3rd liner?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:08 am 

E.L. wrote:

...and Will Butcher signs in New Jersey. So essentially the Avs and Devils swapped former 5th round picks.

Logical Progression wrote:
West Vancouver boy. Potential 3rd liner?

I think he's very much like new-ish Avs forward Sven Andrighetto--he's either gotta be a top six scorer or he's doomed to be a career AHLer. He's too small and IMO his skill set just doesn't lend itself to being a depth guy. I think it's a good pickup (who says Joe Sakic can't close? Oh yeah, that was me) but I'm not holding my breath here. Hope he works out but right now he's a middling prospect, even in Colorado's not-great pool of talent.

Speaking of fifth rounders, I'm actually more bullish on former Leafs prospect Dominic Toninato, who was the first NCAA FA the Avs signed this offseason. Unlike Kerfoot his skill set actually seems perfect for a depth role, and he could be that *gasp* defensive forward the Avs have so flippantly undervalued over the years, much to their detriment.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:31 am 

Wonder if Sakic drops the asking price for Duchene as camp approaches to avoid dealing with the drama and distraction.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:50 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
Wonder if Sakic drops the asking price for Duchene as camp approaches to avoid dealing with the drama and distraction.

Doesn't sound like he will. I think he's too immersed in the optics more than what the actual market value for a player of his ability and contract suggests.

But he went ahead and signed ANOTHER forward, albeit one who is likely to start the season in San Antonio, but it was already crowded up front to begin with. I feel like he'll finally settle but only when/if the situation becomes completely untenable.

My preference: They go ahead and keep Duchene, do whatever it takes to mend fences (might be too late but you never know) and find a way to divest themselves of Comeau, Colborne, and Soderberg.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:33 pm 

Oft-injured and oft-sucky defenseman Jared Cowen gets a PTO with the Avs. :roll:

My thoughts.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:24 pm 

Last year's puck deflector du jour Rene Bourque signs in Sweden. That's him and Grigorenko (KHL) who are guaranteed not to be in the NHL next season among last season's Avs' castoffs. Francois Beauchemin somehow managed to get one final contract with his people in Anaheim, Patrick Wiercioch signed in Vancouver, and Eric Gelinas has a PTO in Montreal.

Meanwhile, the futures of Fedor Tyutin and Jarome Iginla remain unclear.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:34 pm 
Big in Japan

Tyutin's 34?! Where does the time go?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:09 am 
King of Men

Tickets are going to have to be free to see this hot mess!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:52 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
Tickets are going to have to be free to see this hot mess!

I heard from some STH's that they're offering insane discounts to try and keep people.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:44 pm 

Oh, goodie, here we go...

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/09/05/ma ... -practice/

Quote:
“Nobody has to be here but it’s a tradition that everybody gets in early, shows up (for captain’s skates) and is excited to get going,” Landeskog said. “For whatever reason, (Duchene is) not here. But I know everybody that’s here right now — we’re all excited to be part of this team and we’re all excited to get going with the season. Ultimately, we all want to figure out a solution to this problem — that’s what we’re really excited about, and what we’re looking to do.”

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:57 am 

Duchene was skating with a bunch of NHLers last week, so it's not like he's sitting around getting a gut like mine.
Sakic needs to accept less and get that shit show over with. He's not getting the return he wanted, and it's been almost a year of looking for it. Drop the price and get it over with. It's already a distraction.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:56 pm 

He spent the whole summer building a practice/workout area at his family vacation home in Haliburton. And I think he will absolutely report when he absolutely has to, but he clearly wants out. And who the fuck can blame him at this point?

A lot of people are giving him flack for giving up. He essentially admitted to as much, but I'd be hard-pressed to see who didn't give up when things got hopeless. Management made it clear they weren't gonna do a goddamn thing, so one could imagine what kind of message that sent.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:06 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
He spent the whole summer building a practice/workout area at his family vacation home in Haliburton. And I think he will absolutely report when he absolutely has to, but he clearly wants out. And who the fuck can blame him at this point?

A lot of people are giving him flack for giving up. He essentially admitted to as much, but I'd be hard-pressed to see who didn't give up when things got hopeless. Management made it clear they weren't gonna do a goddamn thing, so one could imagine what kind of message that sent.

Michael Farber on Montreal radio yesterday said anyone who acquires him thinking he's anything but a complimentary scoring right winger will be sorely disappointed.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:42 pm 

Yeah I think the ship has sailed on Matt Duchene being an elite player. I don't think he is, and I'm one of his biggest fans.

Unfortunately the Avs, I think, deep down inside, know this, but they're in save-face mode. They care more about the PR backlash when they trade one of the team's most popular players than they care about actual long-term value going forward.

But this is something. Patrick Roy is more or less being proven absolutely right when he publicly stated that he didn't think this core was good enough. But I think this is far, far more damning of the Avs' egregiously bad draft/development system than it is on the players themselves. This is what happens when your organization becomes far, far too insular and unable to even listen to outside voices.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next