OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:28 am 
King of Men

Now....I am not sure how many of you watch this show. I just binged watched all the episodes last year so this is the first season I am actually watching as it comes out.

This show is the balls though. Not anything I have watched recently has even come close.

One thing I have noticed this season is that I am having to watch the episodes twice because they are abruptly sneaking in small but EXTREMELY important factoids. Perhaps they have been doing this all along but with more time to contemplate each episode I am noticing it more.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:29 pm 
OTP Historian

Yup, it's fucking awesome. Anam absolutely loves it too.

I read the books back in the day so I knew quite a bit of what was coming for a long time, but it was still awesome. I think I recommended watching the show first and then reading to the books to some people because the show is just that well done.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:26 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Still on season one but have read all kinds of recaps and discussion threads so I more or less know what happens. I'm kinda weird that way. Looks like an absolutely incredible show, and what I've seen has been enjoyable. From what I understand the only real screwup the show has made has to do with anything Dorne-related apart from that Red Viper dude (Sand Snakes, etc.). Everything else has either been as good or better (unless they just plain excluded it of course).

At this point are they spoiling any pieces of the upcoming book?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:00 pm 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
Still on season one but have read all kinds of recaps and discussion threads so I more or less know what happens. I'm kinda weird that way. Looks like an absolutely incredible show, and what I've seen has been enjoyable. From what I understand the only real screwup the show has made has to do with anything Dorne-related apart from that Red Viper dude (Sand Snakes, etc.). Everything else has either been as good or better (unless they just plain excluded it of course).

At this point are they spoiling any pieces of the upcoming book?

Guess we won't really know until the book is released?

Apparently some chapters have been released already, but I haven't looked at them.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:02 pm 

nope, the books and shows have diverged. The show is doing their own thing at this point. Although I suspect they did get some input from the author as to what his big ideas are and where he is headed.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:49 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Arya is dope. I absolutely love the show.

My wife has what I am starting to believe is an unhealthy obsession with the show. In fact if she finds out this thread exist she will likely want to open an account...

Funny thing is read the first couple of books years before the TV series and was indifferent to them. Much prefer the show.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:42 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
nope, the books and shows have diverged. The show is doing their own thing at this point. Although I suspect they did get some input from the author as to what his big ideas are and where he is headed.

Yeah, I know he told them how he's likely going to end it and so I'm guessing they'll stick with that, but the flourish and fine details will be their own thing.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:41 am 
King of Men

Ok so I am going to pick up after S07 Episode 5

Quote:
Jaime and Bronn return to King's Landing. Against Tyrion's advice, Daenerys burns Randyll and Dickon alive for remaining allegiant to Cersei, forcing the other captives to pledge fealty to the former. Jorah arrives at Dragonstone and reunites with Daenerys. Maester Wolkan alerts Jon and the Citadel about the approaching wights to the Eastwatch by the Sea. Jon decides to travel beyond the Wall and capture a wight in order to convince Cersei for a temporary alliance. Davos smuggles Tyrion inside King's Landing, where he secretly meets with Jaime and offers an armistice, which Cersei accepts, informing Jaime that she is pregnant. Davos rendezvouses with Gendry and returns him to Dragonstone. With the Citadel ignoring Wolkan's letter, Samwell steals several books and leaves with Gilly and Little Sam. At Winterfell, Littlefinger notices Arya spying on him and leads her to take a letter written by Sansa from his room. Jon, Jorah, and Gendry, joined by the Hound, the Brotherhood, and a group of the Free Folk led by Tormund, leave Eastwatch and pass the Wall, intending to capture one White Walker as evidence for Cersei that the Army of the Dead is real.

Things of note here.....I must have missed the accepting of the armistice part.......maybe i was too worried thinking she was going to kill Jamie.

Davos had 2 excellent lines in this episode, Nothing fucks you harder than time and the last time I was here you killed my son with wildfire. F'n awesome.

Samwell has no idea that he is now the Tally man but I assume he is off to Winterfell.

I don't like Littlefinger and I want to punch that smirky crap off his face.

Jon and crew better be packing dragon glass!

Jon and Dany are nephew and aunt.....please don't boff.

Dany makes googly eyes at Jon and Jorah.....all within the span of 30 seconds......awkward.

Bad ass Arya is getting played by littlefinger and spooking Sansa. I hope she kills everyone.

I hope Tormund gets a piece of Brianne.

Robert Barathian's bastard has a cool hammer.

That's my recap.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:07 pm 
King of the One-Liner

harmfuljays wrote:
Bad ass Arya is getting played by littlefinger and spooking Sansa. I hope she kills everyone.

Arya is being built as the killing machine. Now a super assassin with a Valyrian Steel dagger, she has a date with the Night King in the future is my guess. Littlefinger is toast before the season is over as I think ultimately it will be him underestimating her.

But who knows the show suddenly seems reluctant to off significant characters.

In case it doesn't happen in the show here you go....

http://i.imgur.com/KXy0gyv.gifv

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:43 pm 
King of Men

I think I have to watch Jones on Thrones/Game of Jones live tweet.

This is their Ep 4 recap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvcrwTcA5iw

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:53 pm 

That dagger made its first appearance waaaaaay back in season 1 when it was used by a would-be assassin to kill Bran, so I imagine it's gonna get stabbed into a major character soon. I suppose it'd be fitting for it to be used to kill either Jaime Lannister or Petyr Baelish, since Lannister was the guy who crippled Bran in the first place and Baelish was the one who took that dagger from Ned Stark and then gave it to Bran, who then gave it to Arya.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:11 am 
OTP Historian

Gilly revealed that Jon is the true heir to the throne when she asks Sam about an annulment. Looks like ol Raegar got a secret annulment and married Lyanna Stark so Jon isn't a bastard.

harmfuljays wrote:
Jon and Dany are probably cousins.....please don't boff.

She's his aunt I think. He's her bro's kid. Not that that kind of thing ever stopped the Targaryens...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:40 pm 
King of the One-Liner

I look forward to Jon telling Dany to "bend the knee"

Man she is getting annoying with that.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:13 pm 
King of Men

Bosc wrote:
Gilly revealed that Jon is the true heir to the throne when she asks Sam about an annulment. Looks like ol Raegar got a secret annulment and married Lyanna Stark so Jon isn't a bastard.

harmfuljays wrote:
Jon and Dany are probably cousins.....please don't boff.

She's his aunt I think. He's her bro's kid. Not that that kind of thing ever stopped the Targaryens...

Yeah I had to change that above. After I rewatched episode 3 and Dany said I named my dragons after my brothers and Raegar was one of them. That makes it even weirder.

I also just figured out that the gold from the Tyrels did make it into Kings Landing so Cersei can get the bank off her back and hire some mercs.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:13 am 

They're speculating Tyrion might be a secret Targaryen as well since the dragons didn't react badly to him either.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:10 pm 
King of the One-Liner

I've read a lot of fantasy series over the years and find they often have an issue of closing out the story. They often leaving plot holes and have characters go out of character or make ridiculous decisions to help rush a necessary end. The last few episodes of GOT have me thinking this could be falling into that trap. Maybe it's just two episodes and it is nothing, maybe it is Martin not fully setting the course but something seems a little off to me this season and the last two episodes specifically.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:21 am 
King of Men

Hounsy wrote:
I've read a lot of fantasy series over the years and find they often have an issue of closing out the story. They often leaving plot holes and have characters go out of character or make ridiculous decisions to help rush a necessary end. The last few episodes of GOT have me thinking this could be falling into that trap. Maybe it's just two episodes and it is nothing, maybe it is Martin not fully setting the course but something seems a little off to me this season and the last two episodes specifically.

I agree....with 7 episodes this season and only 6 due in 2019....something has to give. I don't think it helps that the show could potentially split the books.....a lot of pressure from HBO!!! Time for a prequel spin off!

Last night was clearly the best episode of this lacklustre season. I have no idea how they intend to wrap up everything in 7 more episodes when basically this season was full of setup. I expected the army of the dead to be a bit more impressive.....no giants in that scene. Still can't figure out why they didn't bring Dragon glass on this trip. But yeah this seems to be getting rushed compared to other seasons. That said its still better than anything else.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:19 am 
King of the One-Liner

Oddly enough I thought it was the worse episode. Yeah it looked good, but for all the build up of how awesome Jon and Arya where suppose to be they are happily throwing them under the bus and having them do moronic out of character things in sacrifice of advancing the plot quickly. Oh and more cliche main characters are saved at the last moment events, it's like it is not even GOT anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:21 pm 
King of Men

Hounsy wrote:
Oddly enough I thought it was the worse episode. Yeah it looked good, but for all the build up of how awesome Jon and Arya where suppose to be they are happily throwing them under the bus and having them do moronic out of character things in sacrifice of advancing the plot quickly. Oh and more cliche main characters are saved at the last moment events, it's like it is not even GOT anymore.

This is true. I don't like the way they are handling Arya....like she's some psycho......and Jon impulsive hero with 10 lives that runs off constantly without thinking and has to be saved. Maybe your are right sir!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:00 pm 

Well, someone did point out that Arya has suffered quite a bit of psychological and physical torture. But a lot of people are getting fed up with this particular plotline. Don't know whether it's to set the stage for a possible betrayal by Sansa whilst she's under the spell of Littlefinger or what.