OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: ROOTbeer Hockey
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:53 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Bosc wrote:
Great stuff, guys. Glad that a few hours work is paying dividends for Miss 18.2, Chris. I like that she's still playing both.

Me too. Signing her up for goalie lessons & a camp as a skater this summer. I figure the more she knows about each position, the better she'll be at both.

Bosc wrote:
My nephew is playing in net nearly full time now. There's a kid in his league, not even 7 yet I think, who is the son of a coach who runs hockey schools. He absolutely wired a shot on my nephew that actually dented his player helmet cage. That's crazy.

:shock: That's ridiculous!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:49 pm 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Bosc wrote:
My nephew is playing in net nearly full time now. There's a kid in his league, not even 7 yet I think, who is the son of a coach who runs hockey schools. He absolutely wired a shot on my nephew that actually dented his player helmet cage. That's crazy.

:shock: That's ridiculous!

Yeah, I think Mike said that he took two of the kids shots off of the cage and this was the end result.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:38 pm 

Wow. I don't think I've ever dented a facemask. And I've nailed quite a few young goalies when shooting on them. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:43 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Related, but not kids. I will not let one guy shoot on me anymore in warm ups due to denting cages, doesn't hurt but cages cost money and time to replace. Guy has a canon of a wrist shot and shoots head high in warm ups, asking him to stop didn't work so now move out of the way.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:56 pm 
OTP Historian

Hounsy wrote:
Related, but not kids. I will not let one guy shoot on me anymore in warm ups due to denting cages, doesn't hurt but cages cost money and time to replace. Guy has a canon of a wrist shot and shoots head high in warm ups, asking him to stop didn't work so now move out of the way.

What a fucking idiot.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:17 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Hounsy wrote:

What a fucking idiot.

Seriously. Who shoots head high in warm ups? Because hitting your goalie in the head is a good idea on what planet? I think I'd shoot one back at his head to make a point.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:53 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Yeah, fuck that, everyone knows you're not supposed to shoot like that in warmups.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:06 am 

Miss18.1's season came to an end yesterday in our tournament semi-finals. Lost 3-2 to a team that had beaten us 5-0, 5-1, 3-1 and 3-0 before. Hell of an improvement by our girls, who had a 2-0 lead for most of the game. Lost to superior skills & really dirty play. Miss18.1's stick was grabbed and thrown away on the game winning goal, by the girl who scored seconds later. No call. She drew 4 penalties. Apparently on the ice, she's quite the yapper, which is in stark contrast to her off the ice. :lol: She learned a good one from one of her varsity buddies, which is to say to a random opponent "hey ##, you're my fuuuuuucking heroooooo!" Said it to a defender who looked at her confused, while Miss18.1 got the puck & passed to a teammate for an assist.

Have to say, I'm incredibly proud of the way she played. For a 14 year old playing against girls up to 19, she did a hell of a job. 1 G, 2 A, at least 7 drawn penalties in 4 tournament games.

On to spring league! :viking:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:49 pm 

Fucking fuck, this goalie shit's expensive! Kid already outgrew her used $75 pads, and of course, they didn't have any used pads anywhere near her size! So she went from 21" Reebok kiddie pads straight up to 25" Brian's. They're really nice, but $250 for kid's pads? Damn. Everything else fits still.

Was given a set of 26"+1 pads, youth large blocker & glove that have never been used (tags still on glove & blocker, leg pads never broken in!), but they're way too big for her. The leg pads are 12" wide, and her new ones are still 10" wide. Trying to sell the stuff I was given to pay for the pads I had to buy. :roll: Could put them in the basement for when she's big enough, but I'll always be worried about mice & mold. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:11 am 
OTP Historian

Brian's! Awesome!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:19 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Brian's! Awesome!

They are pretty rad. :lol: This isn't where I got them, but this is the model- http://www.goaliemonkey.com/brians-goal ... ro-yt.html

I'm debating internally- they're all white and I've always found all white pads too boring. Considering doing some pad wrap to either add team colors (like Bruins) to the design areas, OR going with "crease blue" on the lower half and a thin red line above it, so it looks like shooters have that much more open net to shoot at. No idea if that's legal or would really fool shooters or not, but it sounds good. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:55 pm 
OTP Historian

Nice :)

Brian's and Heaton were like the dream gear when we were kids. We had a Heaton trapper that went through all 3 of us, but I don't think it was until we were old enough for senior gear that we got Heaton-designed Koho gear.

I'm also not a solid white fan. Or a fan of white as primary. I want gear like this so bad.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:54 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Nice :)

Brian's and Heaton were like the dream gear when we were kids. We had a Heaton trapper that went through all 3 of us, but I don't think it was until we were old enough for senior gear that we got Heaton-designed Koho gear.

I'm also not a solid white fan. Or a fan of white as primary. I want gear like this so bad.

I love the look of pads like that, all matching team colors, but I remember DiPietro having horrendous numbers when he had the bright orange pads & same for Fleury with his bright yellow ones. I swear shooters could see where they were so easily they could avoid the pads & hit net. I've been told that's one of the reasons white is so popular, because shooters think it's net or the back boards. I also think it's easiest/cheapest for pad companies to make, and they can say they're allowing end users to choose their pallet with pad wraps, etc. Funny- Brian's makes pre-cut pieces of pad wrap for these pads, but they only offer black, red, navy, silver & orange. No yellow, like I would want to match our uniforms. I call bullshit!
Been looking up adhesive backed synthetic leather on Amazon. Can get way more colors and for like 1/4 the price of brands like Pad Wrap, Pad Skinz, etc. Just not 100% sure what I want to do yet.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:32 pm 
King of the One-Liner

I do believe I found a difference with higher end shooters(Jr b,A college level) if I have a dark or white jersey on and their ability to pick corners. Does not seem noticeable with your more standard beer league crowd so doubt it would make a difference with kids. My son does not have any care about what his gear looks like, so I do wonder if he really is meant to be a goalie no matter how much he says he likes it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:16 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
I do believe I found a difference with higher end shooters(Jr b,A college level) if I have a dark or white jersey on and their ability to pick corners. Does not seem noticeable with your more standard beer league crowd so doubt it would make a difference with kids. My son does not have any care about what his gear looks like, so I do wonder if he really is meant to be a goalie no matter how much he says he likes it.

Doesn't care about gear appearance??? Sorry to say this about your kid, but wtf? :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:35 am 

Either of you goalies know a kid looking for new pads? I've got a set of new Vaughn 7207s, 26"+1, white with silver & blue trim. Also a Reebok 6k catcher & 7k blocker, both white with blue trim. Catcher & blocker literally have tags on them. Pads are not even broken in, never touched the ice. Got them for doing a favor for someone. They'd bought them for their kid who didn't want to play goalie.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:32 pm 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Either of you goalies know a kid looking for new pads? I've got a set of new Vaughn 7207s, 26"+1, white with silver & blue trim. Also a Reebok 6k catcher & 7k blocker, both white with blue trim. Catcher & blocker literally have tags on them. Pads are not even broken in, never touched the ice. Got them for doing a favor for someone. They'd bought them for their kid who didn't want to play goalie.

Chris, how much are you looking for for them? Asking for my brother.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:51 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Chris, how much are you looking for for them? Asking for my brother.

$300 (US) plus shipping sound fair? I am looking to pay for the stuff I had to buy my kid when these turned out to be too big. :lol:
I looked around the good ol' hindernet a bit. The leg pads are still sold for $250 on some sites, marked down from $450. The exact blocker & glove aren't sold anymore, but I found similar models for $75 each, down from $125 each. I will send you pics via FB in a few minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:35 pm 

Did a little Duct Tape pad wrap on the kid's new Brian's pads. Not bad for a first attempt, and now they aren't just GLARING white.

Also got some vinyl sticker paper and ran some stickers for her helmet on a laser printer. Mostly silly kid stuff, like Minions looking like they're tearing out of the helmet, or got shot into it... Goalie gear is fun. :lol:

Question though- is it pretty normal for paint to just peel off of goalie sticks? Her stick (Bauer) has large areas of paint that just flake off after playing. Seems excessive to me. I mean, I don't really care, other than the tape was coming loose on the blade because the paint underneath was flaking off.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:23 pm 
King of the One-Liner

My son's top of the line Bauer composite is flaking paint all over, have not seen it with my sticks but yes on his.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 19  Next