OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: ROOTbeer Hockey
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:35 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

I know one of the refs well, and I think that's half the reason we got the shitty calls. He's the parent of kids I used to coach, and he's bat shit crazy. I didn't bother yelling at him afterwards. I just don't speak to the idiot. At all. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:58 pm 

Miss18.1 came home from school with varsity jerseys. :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:07 am 
King of the One-Liner

Well she showed you. Ha.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:22 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
Well she showed you. Ha.

Yeah! But we'll see if she plays. Although I just heard the coach might be moving next week, and the new coach will be a former teacher of hers, who really likes her.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:47 am 
OTP Historian

Nice!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:45 am 

Confirmed- the coach is moving.
They had their first varsity scrimmage today. 26 skaters on the bench. :shock: The 2nd goalie had to stand by the side of the bench because there was no room to sit. Apparently there aren't rules about how many kids you dress. I thought they could have a huge roster but only dress 20 per game. Nope. Crazy.
Miss18.1 got to play like 5 shifts total. She was "platooned" with another kid, alternating shifts on right wing of the 5th forward line. One kid on D got a single shift, because the coaches literally forgot about him and he was too shy to say anything. But Miss18.1 certainly looked a little overwhelmed on her first shift. She was puck-watching and had no idea until after the game the point she was supposed to be covering snuck in around her and got a huge shot off. He was so far into the zone she thought it was their winger until I told her during dinner. :lol: The goalie bailed her out though.
Straight into a tournament now, so I doubt she'll even touch the ice unless there's a blowout.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:02 am 
OTP Historian

26 skaters? That's insane.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:24 pm 

Bosc wrote:

Yep!
Won their first tournament game 9-2. She got 1 shift, for about 40 seconds, with 2 minutes to go. 40 more seconds than I expected! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:31 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
Bosc wrote:

Yep!
Won their first tournament game 9-2. She got 1 shift, for about 40 seconds, with 2 minutes to go. 40 more seconds than I expected! :lol:

And that was the 1 shift she got through 3 games. She's surprisingly accepting of it. Shrug.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:06 pm 

I guess practicing with varsity is helping. Miss18.1 with the OT winner vs a team that whooped us 5-0 2 weeks ago. :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:32 pm 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
I guess practicing with varsity is helping. Miss18.1 with the OT winner vs a team that whooped us 5-0 2 weeks ago. :D

Awesome!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:57 pm 
King of the One-Liner

paddle down is the scourge of most young goalies I see. Hate it, it has one functional moment and that is it.

:chairshot:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:38 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
paddle down is the scourge of most young goalies I see. Hate it, it has one functional moment and that is it.

I feel your pain. We've got 1 full time goalie (who is awesome) and the rest we rotate through for the mites. It's amazing how many kids think they can just just kneel there, paddle down, when they themselves can lift the puck & score on other goalies who do it. :fffffuck:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:25 am 

Chris18 wrote:
Hounsy wrote:

I feel your pain. We've got 1 full time goalie (who is awesome) and the rest we rotate through for the mites. It's amazing how many kids think they can just just kneel there, paddle down, when they themselves can lift the puck & score on other goalies who do it. :fffffuck:

Weird- all of a sudden our full time goalie is going paddle down all the time. :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:41 pm 

Well, Miss18.2 enjoyed her week as a mite (atom/Tim Bits) goalie so much, she offered to be the full time goalie next year in squirts. WTF??? :shock: :fffffuck: The current squirt goalie moves up to peewee and there is nobody else willing to play squirt goalie next year. Everyone wants 2 teams, so they really need 2 goalies, but she's willing to be at least one of them. I think she's nuts.

I played goalie in 3 practices as a bantam. I have no idea how to coach a young goalie, short of what I hear in NHL games. :lol: Square to the shooter. Forget the last goal, and just focus on the next shot. Hug the posts when it's on your side. Follow the puck with your eye all the way into the glove. You guys taught me the VH pad thing. Aaaaaaaand that's about all I know. :lol:

She got leg pads, chest protector, glove & blocker from the organization. I guess they'll cover the cost of the stick, neck protector & goalie cup. Does a goalie need the special cup in squirts? Goalie skates? Fuck.

I'm in so far over my head. I haven't even had her try the pads on yet. We got them all dusty, so I cleaned them and they're drying by the fire. Do you put leather conditioner on them? How does one size a goalie stick? So much to google... I have a goalie coaching book. Somewhere. :lol: Need to find that and dust it off too.

Big issue I have- she shoots righty when skating out, but catches with her left hand. So now when she goes to play the puck, she'll do the old school thing of turning the stick around, which I've heard from many goalies is an absolute no-no anymore. So I guess she'll have to learn to pass the other way. I'm certainly not buying another set of blocker & glove.

Miss18.1's boyfriend is a goalie. I thought of asking him some questions, but then I'd be asking my daughter's boyfriend for help, and as a man/dad, it's hard enough to admit she has a boyfriend, let alone need to ask the kid for help. :?

Any general advice from the goalie dudes? Besides don't be a psycho parent and don't expect her to stop everything? (Believe me, I have NO delusions of shutouts coming any time soon :lol: ) But I got the pads nice & early so she'll have all summer to practice. Need to find a goalie camp I guess. Man. I've always made fun of goalies for being weird/crazy. Now I've got one. Terrifying. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:41 am 
King of the One-Liner

Goalies are no longer weirdos...in fact we are likely the safest player out there now. At one time though it made perfect sense that only at nut job would want the job.

Work on stopping pucks first, mobility second. Noticed that too many young goalies that are not comfortable stopping the puck yet spend most of the practice time on constant mobility drills. First and foremost they need a level of comfort in reading and reacting to a shot. So early on my advice is lots of pucks being shot in practice and bring up the mobility drills in time.

One thing that helped my son early was the one group he went to would take two shooters pile up some pucks at each hash mark and then have him take a shot from one pile then move to the angel for the other shooter and take one from there then back and forth between piles. Nothing fancy just seeing lots of rubber with some movement into the shot.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:50 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
Goalies are no longer weirdos...in fact we are likely the safest player out there now. At one time though it made perfect sense that only at nut job would want the job.

Work on stopping pucks first, mobility second. Noticed that too many young goalies that are not comfortable stopping the puck yet spend most of the practice time on constant mobility drills. First and foremost they need a level of comfort in reading and reacting to a shot. So early on my advice is lots of pucks being shot in practice and bring up the mobility drills in time.

One thing that helped my son early was the one group he went to would take two shooters pile up some pucks at each hash mark and then have him take a shot from one pile then move to the angel for the other shooter and take one from there then back and forth between piles. Nothing fancy just seeing lots of rubber with some movement into the shot.

Awesome. Thanks!
Another question- she's got regular skater pants. Does she need goalie pants at the U10 level? I don't recall any goalies at that level wearing goalie pants, but I guess I never really looked either.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:29 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Never thought about it and bought my son goalie pants when he started. Bought them used of kijiji though.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:57 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
Never thought about it and bought my son goalie pants when he started. Bought them used of kijiji though.

I had to look up Kijiji. :lol:

Had her try on the stuff we've got. The pants aren't a concern at this time, because it would take a laser sighted shot to hit them. I think the pads are too big. 27" pads. The ones she'd used that were too small were 22". She looks kind of like Garth Snow in these, minus the massive shoulder wings. Like the rest of us, she's short. I may have to bring her & the stuff to the hockey store and have them look at it all. Need to size a stick anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:35 pm 
OTP Historian

Oh wow, she wants to be a goalie eh :D

Definitely agree with Hounsy in teaching her to first stop pucks then work on mobility. If she's a decent skater already then with working on tracking and trying to stop pucks I think some of the movement will come naturally.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 19  Next