OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:12 pm 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Getting the yard leveled with the spoils from the pool we're getting put in. Going up to a 30'x60' rink this year! Hoping to frame it this week and flood over the weekend. Rumors of the good ol' Polar Vortex hitting next week! :Butch: Come oooooooooon Vortex!

Awesome!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:34 pm 
King of Men

PICTURES PLEASE!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:06 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

harmfuljays wrote:
PICTURES PLEASE!

Will do once it's set up. I got delayed in getting the framing up yesterday. Hoping to get moving on it this weekend, since we're supposed to have a good cold-snap at the end of next week.

Going to try to use a home-made water level to check the yard heights, since my $2.39 line level has proven to be totally useless. :lol: Line level said it was all perfectly level and then I took a step back and could only laugh. It was at least 4" off over the 30' side.

Miss18.2 is also suddenly very interested in building stuff. So she's going to help with this, and then we're going to try to build some hockey lockers in the basement to help dry and organize stuff. It's getting crazy with the older one on 2 teams. She brought the wrong jersey to practice the other day and had to skate some sprints. I've looked up locker plans on the good ol' hindernet, and really don't like most designs. I want to have some of those wire closet racks, so there is airflow to dry stuff. The solid wood shelves seem like a bad idea to me. Going to put a bunch of hooks too. Hoping it turns out nice. Plan on painting it too. Not sure if we should use their team colors (black & gold for one, blue & gold for the other), or maybe Whalers or Isles. Or whatever paint colors are on sale. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:50 pm 
OTP Historian

They have these guys on the Canadian Costco site but not the US. Espensive and it doesn't look like there would be much airflow.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:58 am 

Bosc wrote:
They have these guys on the Canadian Costco site but not the US. Espensive and it doesn't look like there would be much airflow.

Those came up when I was searching for plans. I checked the Canadian Costco site. While it's not too surprising, I was so jealous to see how much hockey stuff Costco sells up north! Backyard rinks, NiceRink stuff... I'm quite envious. American Costco is like "Hockey? Never mind that silliness. Here's a pallet of cheese!"

Airflow is my biggest concern. A bunch of designs I've seen are just solid, straight sided. It's much easier to make and possibly offers some more hanging locations, but they're fugly and don't allow any air flow, which of course is the main idea of hanging up your hockey stuff to begin with.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:42 pm 

Started laying out the rink & checking the "level" of the yard. The landscaper really screwed me. I could see by eye he left it far from level, but I didn't know it was 10" out! One super high corner, and the ground surface is frozen (down at least the 3" I went down in like a 2 sq ft area), so I can't even dig it. I was using a pick axe and nearly took an eye out and barely made any progress in 30 minutes. :roll: So I'm going to stick with a much deeper rink than I'd planned on, which means I have to buy wood for the walls, but in future years shouldn't need it, since the landscaper is coming back in the spring to finish the area, and I will get him to level it, or kill him and use his machine to do it my-damn-self.

I guess I should look at it as I'll have higher boards for keeping the puck in the rink in future years, but I'm pissed to have it so deep, as it doesn't freeze as easily. And I'm always worried about the small glacier coming downhill toward the house.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:05 am 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Bosc wrote:

Those came up when I was searching for plans. I checked the Canadian Costco site. While it's not too surprising, I was so jealous to see how much hockey stuff Costco sells up north! Backyard rinks, NiceRink stuff... I'm quite envious. American Costco is like "Hockey? Never mind that silliness. Here's a pallet of cheese!"

:lol:

http://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Signatur ... 96211.html

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:22 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
Bosc wrote:

:lol:

http://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Signatur ... 96211.html

Well yes, I figured you also get the gov'mint blocks of cheese. I didn't think it was all hockey gear. :lol:

Rink set up, and tarp laid out because it's snowing/raining. Free water to fill it... It's going to take me a shitload of water to fill this fucker. I have a 32' wide tarp, and built the rink 30' wide, because I wasn't expecting it to be SO out of level. So now I barely have enough tarp to come up the side walls. :fffffuck: I have to get a shitload of clamps to keep it from falling below the water surface & draining down toward my house. Thanks a fucking lot, Mr. Landscaper! You could have put in 20 minutes with your machine, and saved me hours of work and months of stress. You suck dog balls.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:48 pm 

Fucking rink is leaking. Small glacier coming out from underneath the low corner.

The liner could have torn while putting it in place. Could be a pointy rock or twig I didn't get when I raked. Could be that everything related to this rink sucks donkey, and was bound to go wrong.

Disco sucks. Fuck everything.

:fffffuck: :chairshot: :chris18: :fffffuck: :chairshot: :chris18: :fffffuck: :chairshot: :chris18: :fffffuck: :chairshot: chris18: :fffffuck: :chairshot: :chris18: :fffffuck: :chairshot: :chris18: :fffffuck: :chairshot: :chris18: :fffffuck: chairshot: :chris18: :fffffuck: :chairshot: :chris18: :fffffuck: :chairshot: :chris18: :fffffuck: :chairshot: :chris18: :fffffuck: :chairshot: :chris18: :fffffuck: :chairshot: :chris18: :fffffuck: :chairshot: :chris18:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:21 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Still sounds like better ice than the Barclays.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:07 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
Still sounds like better ice than the Barclays.

And the Barclays Center ice is far superior to the losers who play on it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:53 pm 

Anyone have experience with an ice resurfacing device for a backyard rink? Found this while doing a google search- https://www.google.com/search?q=homeboni&tbm=isch&imgil=W5O2C6s86yqsjM%253A%253BQh7-fo_mdmhE7M%253Bhttps%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.pinterest.com%25252Fpin%25252F308215168218121479%25252F&source=iu&pf=m&fir=W5O2C6s86yqsjM%253A%252CQh7-fo_mdmhE7M%252C_&usg=__0GgT-B8F2mwF8H-qfIXMef07zFY%3D&biw=1280&bih=587&ved=0ahUKEwj0wKCM1dnRAhXjzVQKHQFyDUIQyjcINw&ei=hbKGWLTqKOOb0wKB5LWQBA#imgrc=W5O2C6s86yqsjM%3A

That's made of PVC, which I fear would break in the cold, and other people say they bend like crazy. I can see myself breaking it & getting soaked. :lol: So I plan on trying to make it out of black iron pipe instead, and putting something (PVC?) over the end caps so they don't leave streaks on the ice.

It's supposed to actually get cold here again in a week or so, and I'm looking for a way to make the ice nicer.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:49 am 
OTP Historian

We definitely didn't have anything like that, it was strictly hose.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:35 pm 

Bosc wrote:
We definitely didn't have anything like that, it was strictly hose.

I've been using a hose & squeegee (sometimes) for a few years. This thing supposedly makes it much easier to get better ice, and using way loss water. I use hot water so I don't get those areas of "shell ice", so using less water is good for me.

I joined a backyard rink group on FB, and people have tons of conflicting opinions (on this, and everything else). Was just hoping someone I "know" had an opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:09 am 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Was just hoping someone I "know" had an opinion.

Same reason that I still come here for people's opinions :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:11 pm 

Well I made a "home-boni" out of PVC. It was far cheaper (under $15 in parts) than black iron like I'd planned on using and took under 20 minutes to do all the PVC work. Just need to get a towel with a hole in it to go over the T, and I'll be all set. Supposed to be cold this week, so hopefully the ice gets thick enough to test it out. I hope it works well, since one of the damned feral cats in my neighborhood left paw prints across my rink when it was soft. My dog won't go on the rink unless we're on it. Cats? Cats are all assholes.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:28 pm 

The "homeboni" made of PVC has broken twice this year. Just my luck. :lol: So I may still make one out of black iron pipe down the road. It's not the cost of PVC or even the time it takes to repair, which is usually minutes. It's getting soaked when it breaks and then having to bring in the hoses if it's cold out.

[list=]A few random lessons, in case any of you ever try a backyard rink:
Your yard is never as flat as you think it is. Borrow a laser level from someone or make a water level (easily done). Google it.
Make sure you leave extra tarp to go over the boards. You can cut some off for patches if needed.
Tuck tape will stick to small holes, even when applied under water. Since it's red, put white duct tape over it first and heat it inside to get the duct tape to stick well to the tuck tape.
Having a homeboni or a hose with sprinkler is key to getting new, flat ice.
Never leave a hose flooding for more than 20 minutes at a time, or you'll probably find out the hard way that you have a leak.
You can use a Christmas wreath hanger flipped upside down over the boards to make an ice thickness gauge. VERY handy.
Shovel any snow off right away or it turns to slush and really screws the surface.
[/list]

The weather has been weird, with most weekends being warm and the colder days during the week. Makes it tough to use the rink as much as we'd like, but the rink is going strong. At least at this point, we've spent more time skating than building it. Unlike some previous years.

I can't post pics due to the Photobucket pay wall. Fuck them. This year's is 62'x27'. I plan on extending 10' more next year. I reused last year's tarp so I couldn't expand this year. Next year- new tarp and maybe some boards to keep pucks in. Or at least one of the backstops around the net. I put up some LED lights in a tree. Does a great job.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:06 pm 

Anybody have experience with synthetic ice? There are some now that look amazing but it's so frigging expensive. Looking at the long term forecast, I don't know if my backyard rink will happen this year. Last year we got a whopping 5 days of skating, and 3 of those were me telling the kids to get up early and skate because by 10 it would be slushy. So I'm looking at buying the old sample material from a guy who reps for a new company. He's got enough for a 16x24 area, which is pretty damn small, but my kids will practice IF they have "real" ice to skate on. The backyard rink had gotten up to 27x74 but if it's a squirrel lap pool all winter, it's not worth anything. And global warming seems to be real as hell. I guess the biggest question I'll have for this guy is if the tooth on the sides matches up with any other brand. That would be awesome because then I could expand down the road.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:52 pm 

Pretty close to biting the bullet on synthetic ice for my yard. 20x32. Going to be a lot of work to get it set up, and even then, with lumber prices the way they are I'm kind of half-assing this year's set up. Plan is to build a 2x4 frame on the ground with 2x4s running at all the synth ice seams (4'x5' panels), then fill the "cells" with stone dust for stability, cover that with landscape fabric, and drop the panels on top. If lumber prices come back to Earth, I'll add 1/2" pressure treated plywood beneath the synth ice, but this year that would be an additional $1500 (plus tax).

Just have some final questions to ask the guy to be sure I'm all prepared for this.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:58 pm 

Ordered my synthetic ice over three weeks ago. Cue Fugazi's "Waiting Room". :chairshot:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next