OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:44 am 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
THE PANTHERS ARE FIRST IN THE ATLANTIC DIVISION. THIS IS NOT A DRILL.

1st to 5th is crazy close right now, with Tampa pulling up in 6th only 5 points back of 1st.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:14 am 
Big in Japan

Panthros dominated the Habs tonight and made PK Subban look like a fifth grader. Well done.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:40 pm 
Big in Japan

46 points in 54 for Barkov. He's a beast.

If Bjugstad wakes up, watch out.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:32 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Hoo boy, some strange things happening in Sunrise.

http://www.tsn.ca/gallant-fired-by-pant ... n-1.618191

I dunno...on one hand if he ain't your guy and he's clearly not on the same page as ownership and management then I suppose you just need to pull the plug. On the other hand, coaches by default are almost always old-school in some way. Mike Babcock is most assuredly old-school, and yet they're trying to make it work with the incorporation of analytics in Toronto. It just feels like they didn't even try in Florida.

Speculation abounding that Rowe will relinquish GM duties (he has way more experience as a coach than a GM anyway) and the current assistant GMs will take over. Who knows at this point.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:39 am 
Big in Japan

The good days in Sunrise are about to come to an end.

Not sure where they're going with this. Dumb move.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:19 pm 

We will see...a lot of people will be viewing this as a case study in whether or not a very analytics-driven franchise can succeed. But I don't know if that's entirely accurate. They have analytics folks, yes, but sounds like they're not hockey analytics folks. That could prove to be problematic.

Thing is, Rowe's resume makes him better-suited to be the coach, which I guess is what the plan was all along.

While there was a sharp divide between coach and management/ownership, it shouldn't be forgotten that Gallant led the Panthros to their best-ever season previously, and was only 1 game below .500 using a lineup that had been battling injuries all season. He most assuredly will get another crack at it. I wonder if he will have any reservations working for another West Point grad in Vegas?

The thing that bothers me most about Viola is that he's big-time into cronyism. He's cleaning house in Florida and replacing everyone with his own people, buddies from West Point on down, it's all his people. Pierre Lacroix was a great GM for a time but always surrounded himself with yes-men and made some outright awful moves based purely on the fact that he had a friendly connection with the player/personnel in question. That eventually destroyed his regime to the point where the Avs are only now starting to dig their way out.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:37 pm 
OTP Historian

Having analytics is one thing, being able to take them and develop coachable strategy, systems and skills, and then coach it, is entirely another. I don't know much about Gallant's coaching to be able to comment on how he's able to do that.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:09 pm 

Good piece on the firing, which has drummed up the almost-age-old debate of analytics vs. old-school folks in hockey.

http://nhlnumbers.com/2016/11/28/nhln-n ... -t-go-away

I don't have the exact quote but in the weeks leading up to the firing Gallant was pretty public about his displeasure at not having a "tougher" lineup. He felt he didn't have the guys to respond in kind when opposing players took runs at his stars. If he was saying stuff like that in public I'm guessing he was even more vocal behind the scenes with management.

I find the fact that former Panthros and Jackets coach/GM Doug MacLean has been going off on Twitter about the firing rather hilarious.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:13 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Av-merican wrote:
Good piece on the firing, which has drummed up the almost-age-old debate of analytics vs. old-school folks in hockey.

http://nhlnumbers.com/2016/11/28/nhln-n ... -t-go-away

I don't have the exact quote but in the weeks leading up to the firing Gallant was pretty public about his displeasure at not having a "tougher" lineup. He felt he didn't have the guys to respond in kind when opposing players took runs at his stars. If he was saying stuff like that in public I'm guessing he was even more vocal behind the scenes with management.

I find the fact that former Panthros and Jackets coach/GM Doug MacLean has been going off on Twitter about the firing rather hilarious.

I was hoping for a few seconds that the Isles would fire Capuano and hire Gallant, but he'd be going from one team o' sissies to another. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:51 pm 
OTP Historian

Av-merican wrote:

Quote:
Marco Perruzza ‏@marcoper 43m43 minutes ago
Doug MacLean on Hockey Central saying he doesn't think Doug Cifu is qualified to comment on MacLean's 9 yrs of NHL mgmt.

Bosc Ulrich
‏@BoscUlrich
@marcoper Doug MacLean isn't qualified to comment on Doug MacLean's 9 years as NHL mgmt.

Quote:
Doug Cifu
@Dougielarge
Partner Florida Panthers and CEO of Virtu Financial (VIRT). Tweet about hockey (some say I'm an expert ) and occasionally market structure. All tweets mine.

Quote:
Doug Cifu and 3 others liked your Tweet
31m: @marcoper Doug MacLean isn't qualified to comment on Doug MacLean's 9 years as NHL mgmt.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:54 pm 

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:59 pm 
Big in Japan

In a weird way I want one of these analytics-heavy teams to win just because the anti-stats knuckle draggers have been so vocal and irrational.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:33 am 
Big in Japan

Stupid Panthros followed up their first big season in forever with a self-inflicted clunker. Fired Gallant for no good reason, and now Tom Rowe has gone from GM to coach/GM to now nothing. Tallon back as GM.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:23 pm 

Ha. Isles supposedly asked for permission to speak to Tallon as their potential Pres or GM hire. Maybe it was a ploy to get the Panthers to take him back and self-inflict more wounds upon themselves.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:24 pm 

Hmmmm...

So Tallon begins his offseason by essentially gift-wrapping Reilly Smith and Jonathan Marchessault to the Boogie Knights, and now is reportedly looking to move Jason Demers as well. I guess Keith Yandle better watch out.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:51 pm 
Big in Japan

Jussi Jokinen bought out. Gonna be a crazy UFA season...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:14 pm 

Once again the Panthros are a shitshow. 30th in the league behind the lowly Coyotes.

Dale Tallon deserves a ton of blame here for the insanely spiteful way he went about his business (pretty much rid the team of anyone who wasn't acquired by him previously) but ownership is ultimately responsible. They pretty much got cocky and shoved Dale to the sidelines after one very successful season, then panicked when it didn't work and gave him carte blanche to fix it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:02 pm 
Big in Japan

Don't look now but the Sexual Panthers are one point from a Wild Card spot!

Barkov, Huberdeau and Trocheck are flirting with PPG, and Dadonov has 20 goals. Luongo has a .930 save percentage!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:34 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Yep - been following this team more closely since they trolled through the West Coast and destroyed everyone. Exciting team - fast, skilled and young. Well except for Lou, but you gotta love Lou. He's well rested and on fire.

Oh and who doesn't want to see the battle of Florida in the first round. That would be quite the upset if they rolled the Bolts.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:57 am 
Big in Japan

Picked a swell time to go on a hot streak. Barkov, Huberdeau, Ekblad and Trochek look unstoppable right now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next