OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Equipment thread
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:38 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Av-merican wrote:
Hey Craig you need to look into this

https://www.nhl.com/news/andrei-vasilev ... =281396148

Wonder if they could come up with ones that change color from heat contact and call it Kreider-Color.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:27 pm 
OTP Historian

Graf, who have been making top-quality skates in Canada since 1997, have declared bankruptcy and are moving through proceedings. Apparently they are trying to move inventory because in Campbelleville, a village outside of Milton, they had a clearance space. Picked up a pair of these for $200. They had a lower model in my size for $120 which I wanted to buy, along with a pair of player skates, but the only pair had really loose blades even after replacing the screws and tightening. Decided I didn't need to spend another $160 on player skates since the pair of Grafs I already have are still in fantastic shape.

http://www.goaliemonkey.com/graf-goalie ... 35-sr.html

Oh look who's the shitbag CEO since 2011, and who I will choose to blame the this entirely on. Nice job, fuckhead.

http://relationshipscience.com/graf-canada-inc-o543970

Quote:
Claude Lemieux
Chairman at Graf Canada, Inc.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:16 pm 

That sucks. I loved my old Graf skates. Wish I could afford new ones!

I forgot to post it in here, but Bauer also filed for bankruptcy recently.
http://nypost.com/2016/10/31/hockey-gea ... ankruptcy/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:08 am 
OTP Historian

Looks like the parent Graf company in Switzerland will still be making skates, it's Graf Canada that went bankrupt.

For Bauer, it sounds like someone is purchasing them with the intent of still making gear. No such luck with Graf Canada.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:36 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Looks like the parent Graf company in Switzerland will still be making skates, it's Graf Canada that went bankrupt.

For Bauer, it sounds like someone is purchasing them with the intent of still making gear. No such luck with Graf Canada.

Glad to hear the Graf skates will stick around, even if I can't afford them. Sorry to hear about Graf Canada. Frigging Lemieux...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:53 am 

Anybody know if using epoxy on a goalie stick will last? After practice last night our goalie told me I took a chunk out of her stick with a shot. It's right on the corner of the blade, so I'm afraid it will just break again, since that area gets a lot of use. If not epoxy, do you know of something else that will work? I'm not buying a new stick, but I'd be willing to fix it. And the piece that broke off is missing, which is why I don't think I did it with a shot. Seems more like a skate stepped on it, but I'd like to fix it. Thanks for any help.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:19 am 
King of the One-Liner

Never done anything like that. I use $80 dollar sticks so when something like that happens it gets replaced and filled under cost of doing business.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:32 am 
OTP Historian

Sorry buddy, same here. Can't remember if my Dad ever did it or not, I'll check with him.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:35 pm 

I used to fix wood sticks back in the day with wood glue and various splinters.
I buy cheap sticks for my kids & myself, but this kid apparently bought a nice one.
I've seen too many kids have a $300 stick broken by someone else. I bought one nice $150 stick (on sale for like $100) and a fat guy fell on it and broke it in half. Uhh- not me. another fat guy.

I was thinking like take a bunch of pieces of old composite sticks I have, and/or pieces cut off of butt ends (we're short- I have a LOT of material!), kind of grinding it up, and using a plastic epoxy to re-form the area. I guess it would be good for a backup, but I told her the best solution was to ask for a new stick for Christmas. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:02 pm 

Anybody have experience with repalming gloves? I've got a pair of Bauers that are in perfect condition other than the palm being worn. They've got the leather over the spandex-like layer (which is perfectly good). I looked at things like palmskinz, but I can't find how much of the stuff you get in each pack. They've got "small- for small repairs". WTF is that? A measurement would be nice.
I was looking into buying some adhesive backed leather on Amazon, as it's more bang for the buck, but it says it's 3/32" thick, which sounds pretty thick for palms.
I'd like to figure out a way of doing this, as I hold the butt-end in the middle of my palm, so I wear out palms out pretty quickly and it's getting expensive to replace gloves that are otherwise fine.
Any help is appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:45 am 
OTP Historian

Same issue I always have. I always just try go grab sher-woods when they're on sale every few seasons. Sometimes you can find them on ebay for really cheap, too.

Sher-wood 9950s...greatest gloves ever. Expensive as hell(160 Canadian) if they're just regular price, but I always used to buy them at least 50% off from National Sports.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:15 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Same issue I always have. I always just try go grab sher-woods when they're on sale every few seasons. Sometimes you can find them on ebay for really cheap, too.

Sher-wood 9950s...greatest gloves ever. Expensive as hell(160 Canadian) if they're just regular price, but I always used to buy them at least 50% off from National Sports.

I patrol sales on the usual hockey sites, and Ebay, but I feel like a schmuck buying new gloves when a piece of leather could probably cure them. I may try a sheet to see if I can get away with it. Then I can save $ using the same gloves for years.

I once had a really nice pair of all leather Jofa gloves re-palmed by a local shoe maker (at my parents' suggestion). He wanted to make sure it never wore through again, so he double layered the thickest leather he could find. :roll: I couldn't even close my hand, let alone feel my stick. I brought them back and asked him to remove the leather he added. He was so insulted. Some people just don't understand.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:35 pm 
OTP Historian

Used that new pair of Graf goalie skates. Waaaaaaaay more comfortable than my old Tacks.

They gave me some brutal rebound control though.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:13 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Used that new pair of Graf goalie skates. Waaaaaaaay more comfortable than my old Tacks.

They gave me some brutal rebound control though.

It's always good to have new equipment to blame. :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:56 pm 
King of the One-Liner

rebound control from skates? How often does the puck hit them?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:19 pm 
OTP Historian

Hounsy wrote:
rebound control from skates? How often does the puck hit them?

Joking ;) It was the whole not playing in net for 6 months I would guess :)

It was a little weird stepping out onto the ice the next night in my players skates...it must be a really long time since I played net/player on close or consecutive nights.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:30 am 

When I was a kid I'd pay $15 for a wooden stick and it would last all season. Now, I pay $70 (on sale) for my kids' sticks and they don't last half a season. I know the technology has come a long way, and it's easier for kids to play with properly sized/weighted and flexible sticks, but holy shit is it expensive anymore.

A teammate of mine bought a $150 stick at the pro shop, taped it up and had it broken in the first period of our game the other night. Fine, that one will probably be warrantied, but he was still without his own stick the rest of the game and it'll take weeks to get his new one. And he wasn't slashed or anything. Skinny guy just trying to clear the puck on a PK.

It's like sticks are disposable, despite costing an arm & leg.

I also remember buying my first pair of $200 skates many years ago, which were considered really high end. Now $200 gets you bottom rung, shitty skates. And helmets, holy shit. The technology has come a long way, but the low-mid price helmets are $150. And they now say helmets are only good for 6-7 years after manufacturing.

This sport is getting too frigging expensive.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:27 am 
King of the One-Liner

So as a golfer and Hockey player I got to wondering just now how long till professional stick fitters becomes a thing? they do so much with the flex of a stick seems inevitable that it will become like a golf club fitting where you go to a shooting bay or maybe they rent the ice and have session but they will have golf style tools evaluating how you deliver the blade on the puck and how best to maximize it.

Oh there you go.

https://basehockey.ca/pages/custom-stick-fitting

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:33 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Huh, maybe they won't be as quick to break them then, I swear the broken stick tantrums in the NHL have increased fourfold since the rise of composites.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:24 am 
OTP Historian

Hounsy wrote:
So as a golfer and Hockey player I got to wondering just now how long till professional stick fitters becomes a thing? they do so much with the flex of a stick seems inevitable that it will become like a golf club fitting where you go to a shooting bay or maybe they rent the ice and have session but they will have golf style tools evaluating how you deliver the blade on the puck and how best to maximize it.

Oh there you go.

https://basehockey.ca/pages/custom-stick-fitting

Seems like something that Adam Oates would get involved in. Apparently he's huge on proper stick usage and says that a ton of NHLers aren't using right right sized/lie stick, for whatever his opinion on it is worth.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next