OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:55 pm 
OTP Historian

NTC doesn't force teams to protect, only a NMC.

Guys with NMC clauses whose contracts are pending UFAs do not have to be protected, as far as I know. They also cannot count towards the number of players that a team has to expose.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:57 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Thanks Bosc - so if a player is a pending UFA July 2017, he would be left unprotected by the club (no point in protecting him) but that would not count as one of the exposed players.

So in Miller's case, the Canucks would protect the newly signed Markstrom leaving Miller exposed, even though there would be no guarantees the Knights could sign him should they decide to grab him in the expansion draft.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:41 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Random expansion question- can the Las Vegas Expansion Draft is Giving Other GMs Sleepless Knights make trades before the expansion draft? Like if there's another team that wants to get rid of the contract of an older vet to sign some RFAs or UFAs, and LV wants to bring in a "respected vet who is good in the locker room", can LV trade a draft pick for said older vet? Or do they have to wait until after the expansion draft?

It will be interesting to see if LV tries to pull off any moves after the expansion draft, like taking a guy & offering him to his original team's rivals. Or if other teams will offer them draft pick trades in order to have LV go easy on them in the expansion draft.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:48 pm 
Big in Japan

I believe the answer is yes.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:28 pm 

E.L. wrote:

I asked a few questions. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:34 pm 
Big in Japan

Chris18 wrote:
E.L. wrote:

The question and the hypothetical you presented are ostensibly the same. Anyways, I believe they can trade an entry draft pick for a player before the expansion draft.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:39 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
E.L. wrote:

The question and the hypothetical you presented are ostensibly the same. Anyways, I believe they can trade an entry draft pick for a player before the expansion draft.

They are, but I also asked "Or do they have to wait until after the expansion draft?" :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:11 pm 
OTP Historian

For fucks sake, NHL, just broker some kind of agreement between Vegas and the Hunters to license "Knights" in Canada. How much monetary damage can the Hunters possibly believe that will do to not reach some kind of agreement? The fact that they haven't settled on a differemt name shows how shitty the alternatives are. Stop being a bunch of idiots.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:07 pm 

Looks like the new team is getting way more perks than previous expansion teams: C:\Users\user-name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\AddIns

48 hour exclusive UFA talks, prior to July 1st.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:37 pm 
OTP Historian

So what if Las Vegas...just didn't have a team name? What if they were just Las Vegas...or Vegas?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:44 pm 

Bosc wrote:
So what if Las Vegas...just didn't have a team name? What if they were just Las Vegas...or Vegas?

My coworker thinks they should be the LVs. Like- just the letters. I thought that would get them nicknamed the Elves, or of course, since it's Vegas, Elvis. :lol: Which of course, is pretty much perfect.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:25 am 
Big in Japan

Les Alexander has put the Houston Rockets up for sale.

He was basically the only thing keeping the NHL from going to Houston. As you know, Les tried to buy the Oilers and move them but was thwarted at the last minute. Since then, he's let the Aeroes leave the Toyota Center and has made no further attempts at getting an NHL team.

The next owners may not feel that way. If anything, it feels like an easy way to add value to the arena. A Houston team, with a solid minor league history and a natural rival in Dallas, would likely be a big hit.

https://www.fanragsports.com/nhl/rocket ... y-houston/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:54 am 
Big in Japan

Quote:
Adrian Wojnarowski‏Verified account
@wojespn
Sources: Leslie Alexander has agreed to a deal to sell team to Houston billionaire Tilman Fertitta for NBA record sales price of $2.2B.

Here we go. I'm sure Bettman has boots on the ground.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:17 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Quote:
Adrian Wojnarowski‏Verified account
@wojespn
Sources: Leslie Alexander has agreed to a deal to sell team to Houston billionaire Tilman Fertitta for NBA record sales price of $2.2B.

Here we go. I'm sure Bettman has boots on the ground.

This would be a smart, but crass time to look at moving or expanding to Houston. There are plenty of homes and buildings that need reconstruction. An arena might bring jobs, but I think they're going to have enough work for a while and would likely take a lot of materials from other buildings that need repair/rebuilding.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:06 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Good God, how can the Houston fucking Rockets be worth THAT much!?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:59 pm 
Big in Japan

http://www.chron.com/sports/rockets/art ... 267657.php

Boom. New Rockets owner says "I would put an NHL team here tomorrow" if it works. It'll work, oh Gary'll make it work.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:57 pm 
Big in Japan

Just a matter of time now. The Rockets' owner exploring bringing the NHL to Houston: https://theathletic.com/156862/2017/11/ ... y-houston/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:07 pm 

Guess if Seattle or Quebec City want a team, it'll have to get one relocated. Given what's going on with the Coyotes, Panthers, and Hurricanes there's plenty of possibilities.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:54 pm 
Big in Japan

In arena news...

Hartford is looking for someone to buy the XL Center, but really, the hope is they finally tear the fucker down so someone can come in and build an actual 21st Century arena down the road: https://arenadigest.com/2017/12/04/pote ... xl-center/

Seattle is about to vote on the KeyArena redevelopment project. Our old pal Leiweke is skulking around here, looking to get an NHL team to anchor Key 2.0.
https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/nba ... ight-move/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:35 pm 

The vote passed. The priority is for Seattle to get the Supersonics back, but with Tim Leiweke in the mix there most assuredly will be a push to get the NHL there too.

So there's the guy in Houston with gobs and gobs of money, I'd say they're first in line for expansion, but there are also three franchises who seem ripe for relocation. And though no potential owner has stepped up, there's also Quebec City.

I kinda want to see QC get the expansion club and Houston and Seattle get the relocation franchises. But I have about 10 bucks in my pocket as I type this so it ain't up to me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next