OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:14 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I think the whole notion of fans "tolerating" a rebuild is a bit of a misnomer. Fans despise failure in any form, even if they're rooting for it like Buffalo fans did during the McDavid sweepstakes. The question that needs to be asked is whether or not the team has the core pieces to build a contender. And really, if Gillis really was considering a rebuild back when he was still in charge, I'd say the answer is a resounding NO. Yes, the presence of the Sedins complicates things but if it's gotta be done, it's gotta be done.

I still think ownership is meddling in affairs and it's not ALL on Linden and Benning. But the incompetence on display, especially at this year's trade deadline, has been stunning.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:33 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Av-merican wrote:
I think the whole notion of fans "tolerating" a rebuild is a bit of a misnomer. Fans despise failure in any form, even if they're rooting for it like Buffalo fans did during the McDavid sweepstakes. The question that needs to be asked is whether or not the team has the core pieces to build a contender. And really, if Gillis really was considering a rebuild back when he was still in charge, I'd say the answer is a resounding NO. Yes, the presence of the Sedins complicates things but if it's gotta be done, it's gotta be done.

I still think ownership is meddling in affairs and it's not ALL on Linden and Benning. But the incompetence on display, especially at this year's trade deadline, has been stunning.
Great post AV - totally agree. Gillis was in total WIN NOW mode - [eriod.

And if management is asking whether or not this current team still has the core pieces to build a contender, I think their answer is a resounding YES. This doesn't mean they do. It simply means they are making vital decisions based on this assumption.

The real litmus test will be what they do with Burrows. If they keep him on next year with no trade or buyout - there's your answer.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:44 pm 
Big in Japan

Quote:
James Mirtle ‏@mirtle 36m36 minutes ago
Canucks name Dan Cloutier goalie coach.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:21 pm 

Oh. My. God. :haha:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:46 pm 

Roland Melanson stays with the team to coach goalies how to stop the long shot from center ice.

Insert Cloutier joke [here].

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:37 pm 

So the Canucks have informed Hamhuis that they are going to let him walk. Bloody short sighted idiots. Had the opportunity to trade him for picks and failed at that, now letting him leave. Vrbata gone and should have been traded for a pick. Expectations are Higgins and Burrows will be bought out. Buying out Burrows really burns me, the guy gave his soul to the club on an undervalued contract for years. Then he cashes in and gets the money he deserves and when age starts catching up to him they say good riddance. From a business perspective I get it, it makes good sense. And if they were making consistently good business and/or hockey decisions I'd would have no problem but when you look at the 3 million a year contracts handed out to fringe players like Sbisa and Dorsett you can't claim they make good business or hockey decisions.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:23 am 

Geeeeez...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhls ... tampering/

I mean, it's an honest mistake most people might make, but you'd think a guy as experienced in an NHL front office would know better.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:57 am 

Yep poor ol' Trader Jim. It almost seems as though he doesn't know any better.

The more concerning element at play are the other GM's he's pissing off and the relationships he's burning at the expense of the organization.

His incompetence is palpable.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:34 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Benning fined $50k for crossing the line. I hope he's learned his lesson.

So many mistakes... He better hit a home run with every draft pick because it sure doesn't look like General Managering is a strong point, if ever...

Hearing that Lucic and Demers have verbally agreed to terms with the Oilers - good. Was hoping for a better shot at Eriksson and Brouwer.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:17 pm 

Need to make sure this thread never dies until Benning is gone. Fleeced again and detailed explanation of how it was done.

http://canucksarmy.com/2016/10/12/graphic-comments-how-to-get-away-with-plunder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:11 pm 

This has more to do with the business side of things which Benning really has no part in, but it's no surprise that people don't want to go to see a team projected to be last place.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showt ... t123050167

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:35 pm 
OTP Historian

Av-merican wrote:
This has more to do with the business side of things which Benning really has no part in, but it's no surprise that people don't want to go to see a team projected to be last place.

Selling tickets has everything to do with Benning. He built the team that they're having trouble selling tickets for.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:19 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Av-merican wrote:

Selling tickets has everything to do with Benning. He built the team that they're having trouble selling tickets for.

Yes, but I think it also speaks to the predicament he is currently in with ownership. Ownership simply refuses to take it on the nose for a couple years in order for long-term gains. They want playoff revenue. And they only see fewer people coming to see a truly awful tanking team being a negative rather than a necessary evil.

Again, Benning has made some outright boneheaded errors, but ownership IMO is still the true villain here.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:39 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
Bosc wrote:
Av-merican wrote:
Yes, but I think it also speaks to the predicament he is currently in with ownership. Ownership simply refuses to take it on the nose for a couple years in order for long-term gains. They want playoff revenue. And they only see fewer people coming to see a truly awful tanking team being a negative rather than a necessary evil.

Again, Benning has made some outright boneheaded errors, but ownership IMO is still the true villain here.
Totally agree. Time for new ownership.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:47 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
Bosc wrote:
Av-merican wrote:

That is really hard to tell. Did ownership tell Linden to keep striving for the playoffs? Did Linden tell Benning that was the only acceptable goal when hired and Benning misjudged the talent and agreed to this. Or do Benning and Linden really believe this is possible and have completely misjudged the talent.

Linden/Benning are the experts. It is their job to tell ownership what is and is not possible and build a road map for the future of the team and the business side of it. If they did this and ownership rejected and sent them to achieve the near impossible then it is ownership's fault. But they could have stepped down and looked for work with reasonable owners. Personally I think the writing was on the wall for the team when Benning and Linden started in, The Canucks were in decline and and it only projected to get worse. they needed to sell off assets before they depreciated and accumulate picks and prospects and rebuild. Instead we've seen Benning fritter away draft picks every year and mismanage young prospects such as Frank Corrado through dumb roster management.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:13 pm 

That's true...I am making some assumptions based on rather anecdotal evidence. Ownership reportedly refused to accept Gillis's plea for a rebuild, and it was apparently ownership that scuttled a potential deal for Hamhuis to try and drive up the price, only to have Dallas move on elsewhere at the deadline (they then got him via free agency).

What's alarming is if they won't listen to arguably the franchise's most beloved player, I have no idea WHO they'd listen to.

But...maybe they do indeed believe that they can turn it round. Maybe they were hired because they said they could. I don't know. But yeah, Linden and Benning have to own up to their failures...it's certainly not all on ownership but I have a bad feeling a great deal has to do with them.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:14 am 

Fogghorn wrote:
Did ownership tell Linden to keep striving for the playoffs? Did Linden tell Benning that was the only acceptable goal when hired and Benning misjudged the talent and agreed to this. Or do Benning and Linden really believe this is possible and have completely misjudged the talent.

It's probably a bit of both. Anyone who has been around the Aquilini family even a little, knows what a control freak Francesco is and how downright intimidating and incorrigible he can be when it comes to his businesses. Unfortunately, he also has Linden on the payroll and in his back pocket. We all know Jim is out of his depth but will do as he is told directionally and is left to assess / manage talent. It's a learn on the fly operation people, right down to Willie D. And let's not kid ourselves, the Sedins are also stakeholders in the direction of this team. They have given their hearts and guts for 15+years and everyone within upper organization feel they deserve another chance to win - another kick at the can, however remote the chances might be at this stage. Enter Erickson.

It doesn't make it right but these are undeniable factors - the sad reality of this franchise in it's current state. The tell tale sign is that they are both trying to win now or at least compete for the playoffs and rebuild on the fly. Mixed messages. Sign UFA"s, develop youth, bring in PTO's, compete for the playoffs, trade away young assets and draft picks. Do everything and nothing and pray something sticks. The only way they can replace the Twins will be through trying to obtain a franchise player via conventional means, i.e. not through the draft, which is a long shot.

It's all very confusing and lacks clarity starting with last season - the players have said as much on record, suggesting that the leadership group is trying to please everyone - just like the personality of their leader Mr. Linden.

So the fans wait 2-3 more years. It feels like the franchise needs to start over again from scratch.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:19 am 

I held a glimmer of optimism for this year after a nice looking pre-season (Stecher, Rodin, Granlund, Hutton, Horvat etc) but Willie has set up his lines up for the opener using Horvat on the 4th line with Dorsett and Burrows.
Cute, put him with the lugs. Not great opening line mates for a skilled center who needs a kick start out of the gate. Burrows can barely skate anymore and Dorsett has the finish of oceanliner. Like, in what world does that make sense? The chemistry with Bo has clearly been with Baertschi doofus. Oh by the way he's the second best center on the team.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6