OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:58 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Bosc wrote:
Look at the US team. The reason is " because stupid".

If Torts and American management in general this tourney make the expected decisions how are they going to look like the greatest hockey minds even if they win?

I suspect ego and stubbornness is the main faults in how the US has been ran.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:31 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I am as big a fan of Erik Johnson as anyone but even I think you put Byfuglien in over him and you most CERTAINLY put him in over Jack fucking Johnson. :roll: But of course coaches for some reason still think Big Buff should only be used as a thug. Really annoying.

It's gonna take a long time for USA Hockey to think outside the meathead box. While Brian Burke's influence may be starting to dwindle, Lombardi still can't get out his own way when it comes to out-gritting the competition. And of course they went out and got the most meaty-headed of coaches still inexplicably employed in the NHL. Seriously...how in fuck did they not at least give a call to Peter Laviolette?

Admittedly their M.O. is not entirely without reason. They know they can't out-skill Canada (healthy scratch Claude Giroux would be the top line center on the U.S.) and they can't out-speed the Kid NA team. So they figure they're just gonna use goaltending and brute force. Problem is you have a very one-dimensional squad that's pretty much relying on Jonathan Quick and Patrick Kane to do pull off miracle-level performances.

If I were an NHL GM and I had a player under contract selected to Team USA I'd tell him not to go. Torts's ridiculous insistence on shot blocking gets players hurt. It's funny, most everything I'm hearing on NHL radio about Torts is that they're glad it's a short tournament because his abrasive style tends to irk players. Based on what we've seen thus far I think they already tuned him out.

Oh and don't even get me started with USA Hockey's infatuation with Jack Johnson. It took a infuriatingly long process to keep him off the Olympic roster a couple years back and yet they feel he should still be a featured player despite a very large body of work that indicates he's just not that great a player, certainly not international-level good.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:44 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Av-merican wrote:
I am as big a fan of Erik Johnson as anyone but even I think you put Byfuglien in over him and you most CERTAINLY put him in over Jack fucking Johnson. :roll: But of course coaches for some reason still think Big Buff should only be used as a thug. Really annoying.

It's gonna take a long time for USA Hockey to think outside the meathead box. While Brian Burke's influence may be starting to dwindle, Lombardi still can't get out his own way when it comes to out-gritting the competition. And of course they went out and got the most meaty-headed of coaches still inexplicably employed in the NHL. Seriously...how in fuck did they not at least give a call to Peter Laviolette?

Admittedly their M.O. is not entirely without reason. They know they can't out-skill Canada (healthy scratch Claude Giroux would be the top line center on the U.S.) and they can't out-speed the Kid NA team. So they figure they're just gonna use goaltending and brute force. Problem is you have a very one-dimensional squad that's pretty much relying on Jonathan Quick and Patrick Kane to do pull off miracle-level performances.

If I were an NHL GM and I had a player under contract selected to Team USA I'd tell him not to go. Torts's ridiculous insistence on shot blocking gets players hurt. It's funny, most everything I'm hearing on NHL radio about Torts is that they're glad it's a short tournament because his abrasive style tends to irk players. Based on what we've seen thus far I think they already tuned him out.

Oh and don't even get me started with USA Hockey's infatuation with Jack Johnson. It took a infuriatingly long process to keep him off the Olympic roster a couple years back and yet they feel he should still be a featured player despite a very large body of work that indicates he's just not that great a player, certainly not international-level good.
Tyler Johnson? Phil Kessel?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:50 pm 
OTP Historian

Quick starting over Schneider...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:23 pm 

Much as I shat on the idea of the amalgamation teams when I first read about the idea I dare say they might be the two most interesting teams to watch. I can't help but root for Ralph Krueger.

Somebody broke out a Team North America flag that looked awesome. I wish I could get one.

Someone tweeted that Larkin, Gaudreau, and (I think) Eichel were so good at driving play they basically played keep-away from the Finns.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:24 am 
Promoted from Lt. Chaos

Great Russia/NA game today - looking forward to tomorrow's USA / CDA game! :viking:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:32 am 

The Torts Solution: MOAR GRIT

:doom: :viking: :doom: :viking: :doom: :viking:

Abdelkader gets bumped to the top line alongside Kane. Yeah...that'll work wonders.

With the Euros winning again Team USA is out if they lose to Canada.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:48 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Av-merican wrote:
The Torts Solution: MOAR GRIT

:doom: :viking: :doom: :viking: :doom: :viking:

Abdelkader gets bumped to the top line alongside Kane. Yeah...that'll work wonders.

With the Euros winning again Team USA is out if they lose to Canada.

But, this is their championship game anyway! If they win this game, they can go home with their heads held high! No? Ah, fuck it. Start the NHL season already.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:02 pm 

This guy does a pretty awesome job breaking down just how poorly built and coached Team USA is.

https://twitter.com/iyer_prashanth/stat ... 8164896768

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:40 pm 
King of Men

I think you touched on all the right points for USA Hockey Professor. Don't think it matters now though. Team USA in a must win and getting their ass handed to them by Canada.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:18 am 
Promoted from Lt. Chaos

I thought after the first goal it would pan out to be a pretty good game but alas not so. What next for USA Hockey? Some good young prospects in the works.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:34 am 

harmfuljays wrote:
I think you touched on all the right points for USA Hockey Professor. Don't think it matters now though. Team USA in a must win and getting their ass handed to them by Canada.

They're a fucking embarrassment. It is absolutely amazing how much USA Hockey forgot when they trotted out a merry band of thugs in 1998 and got their asses handed to them. They turned to Herb Brooks soon afterwards, the architect of the greatest single sports achievement in our nation's history, a guy who beat (arguably) the greatest hockey team in the world at the time NOT by trying to outmuscle or out-grit a speedy, skilled Soviet squad, but by playing their game. He utilized the same mindset at the Prolympics and came damned close to beating Team Canada. How quickly we forget.

Seriously, I think you could make a better American team off the rejects left at home than the guys currently on this roster. I'm so fucking mad at USA Hockey right now.

BTW, Jay, Flames come to Colorado December 27th (that's a Tuesday). I don't know if my schedule allows but I really want to see Johnny Hockey in action.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:41 am 

Captain Chaos wrote:
I thought after the first goal it would pan out to be a pretty good game but alas not so. What next for USA Hockey? Some good young prospects in the works.

Well, they're gonna use that as an excuse I'm sure but I think Phil Kessel's tweet should put that bullshit theory to rest.

They still had plenty of skill to spare despite some of the youngsters playing for North America. They decided not to use them.

Anyone who had anything to do with this travesty should be barred from the room from here on out. No Torts, no Lombardi, and if there was even a hint of Burke, tell him to GTFO once and for all.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:34 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
Captain Chaos wrote:

Well, they're gonna use that as an excuse I'm sure but I think Phil Kessel's tweet should put that bullshit theory to rest.

They still had plenty of skill to spare despite some of the youngsters playing for North America. They decided not to use them.

Anyone who had anything to do with this travesty should be barred from the room from here on out. No Torts, no Lombardi, and if there was even a hint of Burke, tell him to GTFO once and for all.

Nailed it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:25 pm 

North AMERICA!!!!!

FUCK YEAH!!!!!

https://twitter.com/myregularface/statu ... wsrc%5Etfw

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:40 pm 
Big in Japan

A rebuilding NHL team should just ice a team of only 18-23-year-olds. Clearly it would make for exciting hockey.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:40 pm 
OTP Historian

Av-merican wrote:

Jesus, that's beautiful patience. Toe drag around the poke check.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:48 pm 

E.L. wrote:
A rebuilding NHL team should just ice a team of only 18-23-year-olds. Clearly it would make for exciting hockey.

Umm... See Oilers. Exciting? Yes. Winning? :suicide:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:25 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Honestly how could any of the US players think Kessel's tweet was anything but a dig a US team management?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:48 am 

Chris18 wrote:
Umm... See Oilers. Exciting? Yes. Winning? :suicide:

Actually the Oilers probably would have been better off if they ditched their vets. Their young talent was never really the issue--it was the washed-up old farts who did more to hold them back. Ben Eager, Shawn Horcoff, what was left of Ryan Smyth, Andy Sutton, Darcy Hordichuk, CAM BARKER, Ryan Whitney, Andrew Ference, Gilbert Brule, and Jean-Francois friggin' Jacques were just a few of the luminaries who have donned the Copper and Blue since 2007.

Jacques doesn't actually count as a vet, he's only like 32 or something now, he was just a really bad hockey player with a really cool name.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next