(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:43 am 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

Well done Tommy, Lad. Boss article.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:38 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Thanks all--hopefully there will be more to come soon.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:23 am 

Good article, thanks for the read Tom. And since I think we learn more from the criticism then the praise.

Two suggestions: grammar error in the final paragraph "If I should I ever donate to a cause dedicated to fighting breast ";
and if I didn't know you personally I probably would have quit reading in the 2nd paragraph. You're basically apologizing for having an opinion that may differ from others. This is your opinion, as long as it's well supported there is no need to have a disclaimer for it. Just get to the detail of the story please and don't worry about offending friends. Besides if they're going to be offended the disclaimer won't prevent that from happening.

Edit:

Got to thank you though for the work, led me to explore more on the topic and there is an absolutely fantastic writeup in the New York Times dealing with negative health risks involved with big charity's drive for earlier detection and increased health risks being incurred by women due to their action.

Quote:
I found myself thinking of an alternative way to describe what happened. Fibrocystic breast disease does not predict cancer, though distinguishing between benign and malignant tumors can be difficult, increasing the potential for unnecessary biopsies. Starting screening in her 30s exposed this woman to years of excess medical radiation — one of the few known causes of breast cancer. Her D.C.I.S., a condition detected almost exclusively through mammography, quite likely never would become life-threatening, yet it transformed her into a cancer survivor, subjecting her to surgery and weeks of even more radiation. By the time of her second diagnosis, she was so distraught that she amputated both of her breasts to restore a sense of control.

Long but worthwhile read, http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/28/magazine/our-feel-good-war-on-breast-cancer.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:00 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
Good article, thanks for the read Tom. And since I think we learn more from the criticism then the praise.

Two suggestions: grammar error in the final paragraph "If I should I ever donate to a cause dedicated to fighting breast ";
and if I didn't know you personally I probably would have quit reading in the 2nd paragraph. You're basically apologizing for having an opinion that may differ from others. This is your opinion, as long as it's well supported there is no need to have a disclaimer for it. Just get to the detail of the story please and don't worry about offending friends. Besides if they're going to be offended the disclaimer won't prevent that from happening.

Good points, thank you. Error has been fixed.

And yeah, next time I won't hit the disclaimer--it's just that some people champion the pink ribbon like it's some kind of holy symbol, so I found that kind of daunting. Maybe that's why I've failed at blogging before...I care too much about what other people think. But I'm bound and determined not to screw it up this time, so that's just something I'll have to get over.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:40 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

http://dtmts.com/

Don't Tell Me The Score: website that shows NHL highlights without revealing the score to you beforehand.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:01 pm 

This is a great venture--not just for sports journalism, but journalism period.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/what-the-fox-knows/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:35 pm 

Seriously, the new NHL website and app are so utterly bad.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:08 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Av-merican wrote:
Seriously, the new NHL website and app are so utterly bad.

Really. They caused the reviving of a thread dormant almost 2 years. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:34 pm 

Does anybody know of a site that shows what players are waiver exempt? Also who needs to be protected (NMC, etc) vs who doesn't need to be protected in the expansion draft? I asked the guys at generalfanager to add these to their site but haven't heard back so I assume they aren't doing it.

It would be great to see a team's roster with all guys who can be sent down without having to clear waivers highlighted in a certain color. And guys who have to be protected highlighted another color. Do RFAs & UFAs have to be protected? Well, do teams need to protect them? Or will UFAs be considered available, like normally? If teams can, they may wait until after the expansion draft to extend UFAs, right? Or is there a safeguard against that, like the expansion team can negotiate with UFAs before other teams? The expansion draft is dominating many Isles blogs, since McPhee has such good knowledge of the Isles, and there is tons of conflicting info (and stupid arguments).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:16 am 

Well, there goes GeneralFanager. The creator has been hired by the Las Vegas Expansion Draft Knights, and is shutting the site down. Couldn't he have sold it?

I hope CapFriendly has the bandwidth to match the traffic they're about to get.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:54 pm 

General Fanager was in the process of being purchased by the Nation Network and they intended to keep it running when the guy just abruptly shut it down. Here's the official statement from them which can be summed up by "Dick move, dude."

http://nhlnumbers.com/2016/10/19/nation ... al-fanager

Looks like the Mirtle-reported rumors of Cap Friendly's demise were greatly exaggerated, which is a relief. It'd be pretty cool if the idiots running the actual league took heed of what the fans like and just did this sort of thing themselves.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:08 pm 
OTP Historian

Hope_Smoke is back! He had some health problems and surgery, hopefully he's doing better.

https://twitter.com/marcoper

Dude was invaluable for daily hilarity for radio/tv hockey people saying dumb things and getting pissed at him for recording it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:42 am 
OTP Historian

The Athletic, the subscription-based starter with Mirtle as editor-in-chief and hiring a slew of fantastic writers, has now added Detroit coverage to their arsenal of great writers. I had subscribed already for various reasons and now they've added Detroit coverage, which is awesome. Craig Custance, ESPN's big prosepect writer, is editor-in-chief of Athletic Detroit.

I think it was $60 bucks for a year when I subscribed. One $5 coffee or beer a month.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:26 am 
OTP Historian

The Athletic grabs Justin Bourne!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:31 am 
King of Men

We have now reached a point where everything is behind a pay wall. Even the Calgary Herald just went this way.

So for now...you can go to TSN or Sportsnet and read about hot button topics like safety, diversity, and inclusion. But for real hockey news its all but gone.

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/

There is that site..but it doesn't do much for me with daily news. Anyone with free hockey news sites that are worth reading?

I guess we get free stats for now to look at

https://www.capfriendly.com/
https://www.naturalstattrick.com/

Back in the day I had subscriptions for the Hockey Digest and the Hockey News...........now I can't even read an article.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:07 pm 

I can't read most of the sites I see. The writing is awful or they have paywalls, like you said. I read headlines to see if anything jumps out at me, then I move on. Most aren't even worth that.