OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Off-Season Thread
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 4:23 pm 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

The Red Wings began their off-season changes with the coaching staff. Gone is 18-year veteran goaltending coach, Jim Bedard. A possible replacement is Jeff Salajko, who has been the goaltending development coach for the minor league affiliate Grand Rapids Griffins. Salajko has worked extensively with goaltender Petr Mrazek and attended several Red Wings practices during this past regular season. This appointment, I believe, signals the end of Jimmy Howard in Detroit.

Also, assistant coach, Pat Ferschweiler was assigned to an un-named job the press box. He was the power play coach this past season.

Team updates; Luke Glendenning and Tomas Tatar have both left their respective national teams at the World Ice Hockey Championships due to injury. Both should be ready for training camp. Pavel Datsyuk will return to Detroit in early June to meet with the Illitch's and Ken Holland to let them know his final decision on playing in the NHL this season.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2016/05/09/wings-market-new-goaltending-assistant-coaches/84136154/

Post subject: Re: Off-Season Thread
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 12:32 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Big bummer on the injuries, even if they'll be ready for camp. This is why I think having the World Cup in September is dumb. Players are going to get hurt & miss some of the NHL season.

I know Howard had some very good years, but I've always thought Mrazek looked better. Just a total outsider's opinion.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 1:28 pm 
OTP Historian

No question that Mrazek is definitely better at this point.

Quincey goes. Ouellet comes up. Jensen and Sproul are out of options and Sproul will get a really long look in camp as a PP bomb.

Richards returning might depend on what happens with Datsyuk. No idea what his desire is.

I'm sure that the Wings would like Helm back but he will be too expensive to fit under the cap.

Bye, Andersson. Bye, Miller. Would be very surprised to see either of these two returning regardless of how fucking obsessed the org is with these guys and the PK.

RFA: Sheahan, Pullkinen, DDK, Marchenko

Will post more thoughts later.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:09 pm 
OTP Historian

People talk about Detroit having to pay a steep price to rid themselves of Datsyuk's cap hit.

"Hello, is this John Chayka? How would you like to save $7 million actual dollars. As in, $7 million dollars that you do not have to spend on players to get to the floor, which is real dollars that your owner does not have to spend? Actual money in his pocket? What is that $7 million worth to you? We will gladly accept a 2nd rounder to save you $7 million cash."

This isn't fucking hard, Kenny.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:18 pm 
OTP Historian

Offseason plan:

1. Save ARI $7 million in cash by sending Datsyuk's cap hit to them for a 2nd rounder.
2. Trade Jonathan Ericsson to Colorado for a late pick since he is exactly their kind of defenseman. I would also accept a trade to Vancouver because I'm sure in Jim Benning's opinion he will help them with their reload for the playoffs. Do they have any draft picks left to trade for him?
3. Trade Jimmy Howard to the team whose GM gave Jonathan Quick a 1st place Vezina vote.

Easy, Holland.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:41 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Yeah, he'd be the exact kind of D-man they'd want. Not a puck mover, but thankfully not a slow, lumbering stay-at-home guy either. Aaaaaand he's a lefty. I could see that happening. Definitely a better option than Nick goddamn Holden.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:42 pm 
Big in Japan

Are they players for Stamkos?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:54 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Are they players for Stamkos?

They would like to be. If they can't get rid of Datsyuk's contract it is a moot point. I don't know if Detroit is on Stamkos list.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:04 pm 
OTP Historian

Bosc wrote:
Offseason plan:

1. Save ARI $7 million in cash by sending Datsyuk's cap hit to them for a 2nd rounder.
2. Trade Jonathan Ericsson to Colorado for a late pick since he is exactly their kind of defenseman. I would also accept a trade to Vancouver because I'm sure in Jim Benning's opinion he will help them with their reload for the playoffs. Do they have any draft picks left to trade for him?
3. Trade Jimmy Howard to the team whose GM gave Jonathan Quick a 1st place Vezina vote.

Easy, Holland.

Still waiting for this shit to get done. 24 hours was more than enough time to make this happen.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:37 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Bosc wrote:

Easy, Holland.

Well, it took a little more than a 2nd rounder but they got it done. See ya, cap hit.

This sets the stage for a possible run at Stamkos. Dreger says Holland may pony up 7 years/$70 million. I know, I know...it's Dreger, but still.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:24 am 
OTP Historian

Av-merican wrote:
Bosc wrote:

Easy, Holland.

Well, it took a little more than a 2nd rounder but they got it done. See ya, cap hit.

This sets the stage for a possible run at Stamkos. Dreger says Holland may pony up 7 years/$70 million. I know, I know...it's Dreger, but still.

Dreger came out with this fucking beauty last night:

Quote:
@DarrenDreger: Datsyuk trade motivated to get in on Stamkos. Florida expressed some interest in Datsyuk contract, but wanted Det to take Bolland contract.

I expressed interest in Alex Ovechkin, but alas WSH did not want to take Jonathan Ericsson in return.

For reference, David Bolland is owed $5.5M over the next three seasons. Datsyuk's cap hit would be $7.5M this season with no money owed. I might have done that deal if they had tossed in Barkov or Ekblad.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:48 am 

Av-merican wrote:
Bosc wrote:

Easy, Holland.

Getting rid of Datsyuk's contract only took moving down in the 1st round from 16 to 20, Detroit also received Arizona's 2nd round pick at 53 and Detroit had to pick up F Joe Vitale's contract of $1.17 million for 2016 - 2017. I'm impressed. That's damn fine work by Kenny Holland. Now the big question that is yet to be answered is what does Holland do with that financial windfall.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2016/06/24/krupa-holland-pulls-off-major-coup/86368336/

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:28 pm 
Big in Japan

Detroit is getting Stammer. Little doubt in my mind.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:08 pm 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
Detroit is getting Stammer. Little doubt in my mind.

If that 7y/12M per rumour for Buffalo is true, I hope Detroit isn't paying that price.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:05 pm 
OTP Historian

Sheahan re-signed at $2.075M per for 2 years.

http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2016/6 ... -year-deal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:57 am 
OTP Historian

Detroit has inquired on Lucic and Martin and have hopefully taken a pass because of the enormous expected asking prices.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:22 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Detroit has inquired on Lucic and Martin and have hopefully taken a pass because of the enormous expected asking prices.

If the contract can be properly worked out I'd love to get Lucic. We desperately need some size and grit. Tampa Bay made the Red Wings their bitches in the 1st round of this years playoff series.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:36 pm 
King of the One-Liner

I don't think the Oil move Hall for Larsson unless they where reasonably confident they have Lucic in the bag.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:46 pm 
OTP Historian

So why couldn't Holland have traded for Hall? :? :chris18:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:15 pm 
Big in Japan

Detroit adds Nielsen and Vanek.