OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:00 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Overtime theatrics again in game 3, the Sharks cut Pens series lead in half. Games 2 & 3 could have easily gone either way - such a tight series.

Murray wasn't as sharp as usual last night. Ward's knuckler from the point sort of hand cuffed him. Presume he would have liked to have that one back.

Strong games by Donskoi & Couture - Pavelski looked dangerous all night.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:58 pm 
Big in Japan

Dooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonskoi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om4HHvdlanA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:16 pm 

Yeah heard the Finnish call on TSN 1040. A beautiful thing. Classic.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:08 am 
King of Men

Well this is boring......the Penguins are absolutely dominating this series. Wrap it up Thursday and be done with it I guess.

Blown opportunity for the Sharks.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:10 pm 

Yeah, while it might seem like a tight series, the Sharks just can't seem to gain control of the neutral zone or pressure in the o-zone on a consistent basis.

They are also searching for answers to the Pen's speed which appears to be a guessing game.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:17 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Come on Sharks!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:26 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I can't wait to see what that fool Steve Simmons has to say about Kessel after all this...well, I'm sure it'll be something like "Why didn't you play like that for the Leafs!?" and the answer would be "Well, he DID play like that, it was the rest of the team/management/coaching that sucked."

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:24 pm 
King of the One-Liner

It's because he couldn't be "the guy" on a team will become the narrative. Ignoring that he was "the only guy" on the team.

Wonder how many of the Conn Smythe voters are also employees of the Leaf ownership? Kessel will need a huge game if they clinch tonight to have any shot at MVP I would think.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:39 pm 

Game 6 should be Saturday, not Sunday - 2 SCF games over an entire week. The NHL is such a joke.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:56 pm 
Big in Japan

Either way I'm busy both days. Enjoy the Cup, whoever wins.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:49 pm 
Big in Japan

Pens win. Sid MVP.

Happy? Sad? Indifferent? Questions? Comments?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:40 am 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

1.) Not happy or sad, except sad that hockey is now over until October. Pittsburgh was the best team and deservedly won.

2,) I was not indifferent. I thought after game 1 that Pittsburgh would take the series. Sydney Crosby really impressed me with not only his play but his mental strength and his heart. His willingness to do anything it takes to win the Cup really shown throughout the Finals. I hope, for hockey's sake, he is able to remain healthy for the rest of his career. It would be a real shame to lose him to an injury shortened career. I felt badly for the Sharks. They have a good team and it is too bad that they lost. Hopefully, they will learn the final lesson to winning a Stanley Cup and put the final tuning, that all championship teams need to do, in place so that next year it will be their turn. I'd like to see, Soo Greyhound, Joe Thornton, raise the Cup.

3.) No real questions as of now. The 2015 / 2016 season is over. I am willing to put aside next years questions until after July 1.

4.) Comments: I miss Gordie Howe. There is a giant-sized hole in my Hockey heart right now.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:55 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

I'm kind of indifferent about them winning. I wanted San Jose to win, but they just didn't have enough to get it done. I'm sad for them. And Matt Murray. You're saying WHAT? How could you be sad for a kid who went from the AHL to winning the CUP????? Because he deserved the Smythe more than Crosby in my opinion. You could replace Crosby's production, but not Murrary's. I think he has made Fleury completely expendable. Amazing job kid.

That also brings up a point. I must concede I have been totally wrong about the Penguins for a few years. When they signed Crosby, Malkin, Letang and Fleury to contracts that took up like 35% of their Cap space, AND THEN added Kessel, I thought they'd have an incredibly mediocre team besides their top line. Well, they certainly made me look dumb. Their role players did their best to look like well paid 2nd liners. Humble pie, with crow in it... Mmmmm. :lol:

And if Crosby actually takes Bubbles & Ricky up on their request to bring the Cup to Sunnyvale, I might do a 180 on him too! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:19 am 
King of Men

Indifferent....I too wanted and thought San Jose would win but I enjoyed watching the elevated maturity level out of Sid. I thought his production was just a nice bonus.

This series wasn't close at all.

What I continuously saw was Deboer having this team do the same things over and over again that didn't work. Dumping, chasing and back to the point, rinse and repeat even when your shots are being blocked. The Penguins knew all series and so did anyone watching after game 1 that the Sharks were going to work the points and look for rebounds 90% of the time. But whatever I guess....it worked for them all year and its all they had against the quicker Pens. I guess you gotta play to your strengths if you figure it gives you the best chance.

On to more pressing questions like who will Coach the Flames or how much money will they pay for a sub-par FA goaltender (ugh Reimer)?

Back to the painfully slow decline of the Bruins next year. The draft is right around the corner for all of us non-playoff fans. Cheers!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:55 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I dunno...I felt pretty indifferent about this one. The Pens were the faster team, yes, but they also clutched, grabbed, tackled, blocked, and clogged the living shit out of the defensive zone. No wonder they could stick just any ol' guy back there in net. San Jose took plenty of shots but hardly any got through.

I know there's a school of thought that says in the playoffs you just gotta let them play but I call bullshit on that. A penalty in the regular season should be a penalty in the Stanley Cup Final as well. There was the appearance of "flow" in this game but really once teams set up shop in the opposing zone it sure didn't feel that way.

I feel bad for the Sharks. They FINALLY get through to the Promised Land and no one in NoCal gives a fuck because the Warriors are busy dominating the NBA.

Lastly, I'll always remember the 2016 Stanley Cup Playoffs as the year Bettman and the NHL forced teams to cancel watch parties in a desperate attempt to boost abysmal television ratings.

Congrats to the Pens and all...they certainly deserved it. Especially Phil Kessel. But I definitely feel like less of an NHL fan after this season. It wasn't just my team's faceplant that did that. A lot of ugly truths and harsh realities finally came out and made the sport I treat like a religion a bit less enjoyable. Sorry to be a Debbie Downer but I'm kinda glad I get to take a break from hockey for a while. I need it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:24 pm 

Quote:
Congrats to the Pens and all...they certainly deserved it. Especially Phil Kessel. But I definitely feel like less of an NHL fan after this season. It wasn't just my team's faceplant that did that. A lot of ugly truths and harsh realities finally came out and made the sport I treat like a religion a bit less enjoyable
Yep totally agree. I tried my best to get into the SCF but was left with a feeling that something was missing. There were plenty of good storylines (Sid, Murray, Jumbo, Jones, The Pens in general, The Sharks in general), but the series lacked a genuine hook for me and I have been searching for answers since Round 1.

Answer? The quality of the on ice product is the shits.

Like in the dead puck era, NHL hockey has gotten stale again. The game needs more goals. Period. The players are faster, stronger and better than they have ever been. So why is there less scoring? There is simply no room for the players to move and no space for the stars to shine like they once did. The league fails to recognize that fundamental changes need to occur to facilitate more goal scoring as Coaching improves every year. Either that or the NHL can't see the cold hard truth about the game and think it's fine.

Okay so the game needs to evolve. Bigger nets? Smaller goalie gear? Bigger ice surface to Salt Lake City olympic size? Less rule changes made on the fly by the NHL? Everything would take 8 years to review and implement with the dinosaurs who run it. At least they are finally talking about the size of goalie gear reaching monumental proportions. Duh.

The integrity of the league is in question and I am not even close to being conspiracy theorist - just a pragmatist. The league is not being pragmatic about the game it marshals. There is just to much evidence to suggest that biases are in place to benefit the select NHL an old school boy's club agendas - a process which is not transparent and all of whom are in the dark about the quality of the on ice product they present.

Example: There was absolutely ZERO CHANCE that there would be more than 4 Power Plays dolled out last night. You could bet your house on it. Were there more than for 4 penalties? 100% Absolutely. I read somewhere that the average power plays given in Round 1 was 7, Round 2 was 6, Round 3 was 5 and Round 4 was 4. Last night there were 3. Bloody ridiculous.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:53 pm 
OTP Historian

Kessel brings the Cup to Toronto, not announcing any public visits or anything. He brings it to Sick Kids Hospital. Fucking awesome, Phil.

http://www2.tsn.ca/bardown/Story.aspx?P ... &id=585026