Send Me An Angel - Real Life 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Tainted Love - Soft Cell 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
Let's Go All The Way - Sly Fox 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
Cars - Gary Numan 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 11
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:04 pm 
Big in Japan

Jyrki21 wrote:
I'm going with Men without Hats even though they were a two-hit wonder (to self-referentially quote the other one, "Everybody tell me have you heard 'Pop Goes the World'?"). And had another few half-hits thanks to Canadian content rules up here.

Plus they had an army of scary bonhommes at their disposal.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:29 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Safety Dance is disqualified in my book. Men Without Hats were a punk band and that song was a joke about bouncers in clubs not allowing people to slam dance (or "mosh" as it became known during the grunge era). By a punk band obtaining hit status, they lost their punk cards and sold out. Therefore, f them!

I really don't think I like any of those songs.

I was going to suggest Cory Hart's Sunglasses at Night but I looked him up and see he had a bunch of platinum albums. WTF???

Wasn't there a Jermaine Jackson hit in the 80s? Mainly riding Michael's coattails after he left the 5?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:42 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Chris18 wrote:
I was going to suggest Cory Hart's Sunglasses at Night but I looked him up and see he had a bunch of platinum albums. WTF???

You just offended more than a few French Canadians. You didn't read the story about Hart moving his farewell concert in Montreal to accommodate the Habs?

And yes, Hart had more than one hit. "Never Surrender" was reintroduced to me thanks to the super-awesome Adult Swim game Robot Attack Unicorn 2. Cheesy as all hell but still awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:43 pm 
Rebel Sell + Moneyball = Life

Chris18 wrote:
Safety Dance is disqualified in my book. Men Without Hats were a punk band and that song was a joke about bouncers in clubs not allowing people to slam dance (or "mosh" as it became known during the grunge era). By a punk band obtaining hit status, they lost their punk cards and sold out. Therefore, f them!

Wait, what?! :lol: I don't think you're thinking of the right band. They were a very 1980s pop band with synth and drum machines galore. They had some glam elements in the way they dressed up, but definitely not punk.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:15 pm 

Jyrki21 wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Wait, what?! :lol: I don't think you're thinking of the right band. They were a very 1980s pop band with synth and drum machines galore. They had some glam elements in the way they dressed up, but definitely not punk.

Considered what was called "new wave" at the time like Joe Jackson, Devo, Boomtown Rats, Blondie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:02 pm 
OTP Clown

Love this thread.

As far as men without hats are concerned, I give you this:

And that M/A/R/S song was a treat to hear. It still sounds pretty fresh... I'm gonna play it during diner at the next wedding I DJ

Anyway, Erik, I'll see your 'Pump Up The Volume' and raise you this:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:10 pm 
OTP Clown

Since we're into my high school days, I'll add this:

And this:

But can't forget this:

And this:

And of course:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:19 pm 
Big in Japan

My memory might be a bit off, but I remember reading Men Without Hats frontman/songwriter Ivan Doroschuk was a mainstay at a popular loft space/venue in Old Montreal in the late 70's frequented by local punks.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:13 pm 

Lots of 80s New Wave bands had punk roots. The Police was a punk band to start with until they replaced their guitarist with Andy Summers. One of the funnier lines from their "Behind the Music" was a guy who said something along the lines of "They had a true punk guitarist but they weren't a very good punk band, because where other punk bands were rubbish, Stewart Copeland and Sting were just pretending to be rubbish."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:19 pm 
OTP Clown

E.L. wrote:
My memory might be a bit off, but I remember reading Men Without Hats frontman/songwriter Ivan Doroschuk was a mainstay at a popular loft space/venue in Old Montreal in the late 70's frequented by local punks.

There is a Voivod / Men Without Hats connection.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:21 am 
King of Men

I heard this one the other day and it reminded me of Roller Skating................f'n awesome....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:58 pm 

Ah, Leah! Is a regular on my playlists. It's so funny hearing the song for the first time, you imagine some rocked-out guy with long hair, then you see what Donnie Iris really looked like.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:20 pm 

Some more canadianana

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:30 pm 

Forgot Martha and the Muffins changed their name to M+M and had another moderate hit

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:55 pm 

How is Katrina and the Waves "Walking on Sunshine" not on here?
I hate most of these songs and must admit that I actually like that one. :lol:
Didn't hurt that the singer was cute and wore Chuck Taylors when they weren't cool. I was getting them $5/pair or 3 pairs for $10 at the Yonkers flea market at the time and being made fun of for mixing the colors.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:31 am 

and I'm wondering how BCG found this thread to revive it? Zombie thread resurrection. ;)

And totally forgot about Rock and Hyde but that band was basically the core of the Payola$ which is arguably one of the greatest Canadian bands of all time with plenty of hits.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:55 pm 

I figured the thread itself was a zombie resurrection :)

The Payola$ were a huge indie band and Dirty Water was by far the biggest "hit" (it didn't do all that well actually), so I figured altogether it counted as a top 80's 1-hit wonder

Edit: Wait, what? I thought Katrina and the Waves was posted?! Definite miss! And agreed on Katrina :quag:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:10 am 
Big in Japan

Are we going to have one hit wonders anymore? I just feel like with streaming now it's easier to cheat your way to a second hit.

I thought Lil Nas X was done after Old Town Road, but he plays the hype game well.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:17 am 

BCG wrote:
I figured the thread itself was a zombie resurrection :)

The Payola$ were a huge indie band and Dirty Water was by far the biggest "hit" (it didn't do all that well actually), so I figured altogether it counted as a top 80's 1-hit wonder

Edit: Wait, what? I thought Katrina and the Waves was posted?! Definite miss! And agreed on Katrina :quag:

Maybe Katrina was in here. I didn't see it though.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:27 am 
King of Men

Speaking of Canadian...this seems painfully obvious...

Don't Pay The Ferryman! This one is a little dicey as Chris De Burgh also "technically" had a higher chart topper in Lady In Red. Chris also has 23 studio albums so he hardly belongs here but since its an 80's song and I like it...well here it is.