OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hockey Pool Scouting
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:05 pm 
Working for the Weekend

Got any sleepers , info on teams/players , PP units ??

I know many of you are battling each other but for those whom arent afraid , please share!!!

Post subject: Re: Hockey Pool Scouting
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:08 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Gotta be the year Stefan and DiPetro break out.

:spin:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:38 pm 
Working for the Weekend

my overrated list , dont care if these guys are good players or good guys , Im talking hockey pool perspective = points and production and value of the pick.

Jarome Iginla , I dont know if anybody out there still has him as a 1st Rounder but I wouldnt even take him in round 2. Its not only his teammates and PP that hinder him but his age , he's on the decline now too.All Flames btw I prefer to avoid.

Tomas Vanek .. another guy that has that high end reputation with his 40 goal hands , 50 goal potential and still does but Derek Roy and BUff's PP isnt turning Vanek into a 80 pt guy , and somebody will draft him higher than his points indicate based on that reputation.

Im just starting my research , hopefully Ill have more names all around

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:11 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

If they move Kesler back to the wing (likely not) I would think his +/- and scoring totals would be worth a higher pick up.

In this cap era I simply don't know what in hell to do as far as goalies go. They used to be the players you snatched up right away. Now? Not so sure.

I remember loving the guys who would get me points AND lots of PIM. My first year in fantasy hockey those guys were Jovo and Jeff O'Neill. Nowadays I would think James Neal (not sure what PIMs he got off the top of my head, just guessing here) and Scott Hartnell would be good guys to have in that category.

As far as injury-prone players go, well, it's nice when the team actually puts those assholes on the IR so you can get a replacement without having to dump 'em, but it's always a gamble. I still like Nathan Horton, but it's clear the guy either plays ineffectively or he plays in such a way that gets him hurt. Still, he'll be playing with a lot more talent around him now, even with Savard out (speaking of injured).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:02 pm 
Working for the Weekend

Hey Av , what are Col's combos looking like and their PP1? and who's replacing Mueller if he aint ready? Yip? I have Statsny as a high 3rd rounder and want to know if his linemates are worth anything.

For the Canucks the PP1 thus far looks like
Sedin -Sedin - <Samulesson/Kesler> they've been experimenting with overloading with Kesler
Edler Erhoff

Ballard is still recovering from major hip surgery , wont be a productive factor for a bit , Salo is out for long long time. Hamhuis , seems like they want to develope him into a Seabrook type.

Bieksa offers good value still , the only right hand shot from the point and dont ever discount the fact AV LOVES him. If Ballard doesnt pick up his game early(he's sucked balls in pre-season) , Bieksa might be promoted up to 2nd pairing again.

Erhoff is a good safe play , best shot from the point.

Edler seems to be the golden boy for coaches & managers , and is entering his prime years .. break out? .. , they really want him to develope his offensive numbers , handing him PP1 , top pairing with Sedins , paired him with Hamhuis. Edler seems to be the best pick of the bunch.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:28 pm 

cannots luvah wrote:
Hey Av , what are Col's combos looking like and their PP1? and who's replacing Mueller if he aint ready? Yip? I have Statsny as a high 3rd rounder and want to know if his linemates are worth anything.

Nope, Mueller has the best shot on the team, followed by Liles. Clark actually had one of the better shots from the point for the Avs, which says a lot about how shitty their firepower has been the last few seasons. Honestly I'm more than a little pissed the Avs made little or no effort to address their glaring need for guys who can just wind up and rip a good slapshot. They have a lot of guys (Yip, Stewart, Galiardi, Stastny, Jones) who can score up close and in the slot, but virtually no one who fits the sniper mold. Milan-in-the-Tooth Hejduk is the closest thing to that and he never really was known for having a great shot. If preseason is any indication the Avs will have one of the worst power plays in the Western Conference.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:35 pm 
Working for the Weekend

Streit and Okposo are both out indefintiely with major injuries(both requiring surgery) , which both immensely hinder Tavares' overall value

ESPN's 8 simple rules to win your pool
http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/hocke ... 0_strategy

For traditional points only , no waiver pools , one key is drafting durable iron men. Chances are if you lead your league in games played , you should be a top 4 contender.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:10 pm 
Working for the Weekend

If you were planning on drafting Cody HOdgson as a sleeper , dont. He clearly looks like a guy whom lost an entire year of developement. His conditioning isnt close to NHL level. He'll start the year in Manitoba as the no.1 centre , he'll get called up eventually but dont waste a pick on Cody Hodgson.

Alex Burrows on the other hand might be back late Oct , best case scenario mid Oct. He has a crucial test today , look for articles on that. He could be back by late Oct which is weeks ahead of schedule. You might be able to steal him late.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:26 pm 
Working for the Weekend

I've been reading from Rangers fans that Erik Christensen is the favourite to get the Steve Rucchin job between Gabby and Frolov. An understated no.1 centre but if he can get those cheepy assists. The bright spot is he has very little competition to steal his job , they dont have a stud centre on the rise nor is Chris Drury going to steal it , he already dropped the ball and lost the job.

I thought Prospal might centre but Torts is using him with Dubinsky , both on the wing on the second line. I imagine lots of line juggline but just saying Christensen may be worth a late flier.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:27 pm 
Not to be Confused with Evil Twin, Sock

Av-merican wrote:
cannots luvah wrote:

Nope, Mueller has the best shot on the team, followed by Liles.

Unfortunately, Mueller is out indefinately with another concussion. Yip seems to be the most likely replacement. Holos (D) has a good shot from the point but there's not telling how much ice time he's going to get or if he will even make the team.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:31 pm 
Working for the Weekend

My draft is tommorow so Im almost done...tid bits

Brian Campbell out 4-5 weeks

Jussi Jokinen will centre line 2 or 3 , he wont be playing with Eric Staal. Apparently Osullivan and Cole will start with ES. Let some other sucker bite on Jussi's 30 goal 60 point fluke.

Nobody won Burrow's spot in the top 6 , so dont put any stock into anybody. Burrows is still expected to miss OCtober.

Pavelski will start with Heatly and Marleau and finished strong since the Olympics , he might be in for a bust out year. THornton will babysit Setoguchi and Clowe , maybe Setuguchi gets back on the radar.

Still dont know who's playing MIkko Koivu , the Blues lines , Shotgun with Toews and Kane .. if they're even playing together.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:16 am 

cannots luvah wrote:
My draft is tommorow so Im almost done...tid bits

Brian Campbell out 4-5 weeks

Jussi Jokinen will centre line 2 or 3 , he wont be playing with Eric Staal. Apparently Osullivan and Cole will start with ES. Let some other sucker bite on Jussi's 30 goal 60 point fluke.

Nobody won Burrow's spot in the top 6 , so dont put any stock into anybody. Burrows is still expected to miss OCtober.

Pavelski will start with Heatly and Marleau and finished strong since the Olympics , he might be in for a bust out year. THornton will babysit Setoguchi and Clowe , maybe Setuguchi gets back on the radar.

Still dont know who's playing MIkko Koivu , the Blues lines , Shotgun with Toews and Kane .. if they're even playing together.

Brunette-Koivu-Miettinen was their only really effective line. I follow Russo's Twitter feed but haven't checked out his blog of late. I can't remember who centered Latendresse, I'm assuming it was Belanger. Were most of his goals on the power play?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:20 am 
Working for the Weekend

I did a practice draft last night , a big one 16 teams and I was just commenting on Minny again

Matt Cullen I think centre's their second line but Martin Havlat went in round 15 in a 16 team league. Albeit the scoring system changes player values but regardless he went in the same round as Sheldon Souray (not auto picked) Andy Greene , Justin Williams ,..

Havlat had a horrible start and faded again in the last month and still managed 54 points in 73 games.. not too shabby. He was really good mid season (point per game). I figure they gotta put Havlat with Koivu , load it up when they start to struggle to score.

Here's a article by Greg Wyshinskyi on predicted over/under points for key players
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/NHL-over-under-How-many-points-will-key-players;_ylt=Ah1hn2JeZviljPjj1gLyzPrCfgM6?urn=nhl-274655
everybody has their own predictions hence the beauty of a draft.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:26 am 
Working for the Weekend

Canucks will pair Hamhuis with Bieksa and Edler with Erhoff.. I picked up Bieksa in round 20+ in the practice draft I did. You can get insane value on Bieksa , he's fallen off the radar completely

Raffi Torres will start the season with Raymond and Kesler.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:50 am 
Working for the Weekend

Looks like Bryan Bickell will start with Toews and Kane. Byfuglien on his good days shows what a power forward can do with Kane and Toews. He's worth a late flier if your options are the likes of Marc Savard , Cody Hodgson , Peter Forsberg.. I say take the guy who's 100% playing and playing with Kane and Toews.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:03 pm 
2 Legit 2 Quit

cannots luvah wrote:

Also Thornton said he plays best when passing to a right-handed shot. He had his best season with pre-downfall Cheechoo who was a righty. Setoguchi shoots right and has always looked like a faster, better Cheechoo and now on a one-year contract to help with his motivation issues and a golden opportunity he could have a big year.

I'd also say Couture could surprise. Clowe never seems to stick on Thornton's wing for long, just not a great fit for some reason. He could get bumped down to the third line with Couture brought up to the top line. Plus it is also likely that Couture will see PP2 time even if he stays on the 3rd line.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:11 pm 
Working for the Weekend

Setoguchi looks good for a bounce back season , he'll lose out a little on the PP .. huge dropoff on the PP2 unit if they overload their PP1.

Im reading Zherdev not only won a job on Philly but with Mike Richards and Jeff Carter on the no.1 line. Talk about a crazy sleeper.. if Zherdev "john Leclair"'s himself with Richards and Carter.. holy, this could be a crazy line. So much forward talent I dont know who's actually playing with who. Briere , JVR , Giroux , Leino whom killed me in the regular season showed up a like a superstar in the playoffs.. and Hartnell whom despite his contract is the least likely to bust out for big points.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:27 pm 
Working for the Weekend

the best conclusion I can come up with concerning the Blues after reading various articles, scouting reprots , ...etc

---------- Macdonald Boyes
------------ Berglund Backes

Not sure whom Oshie and Perron will play with... Alex Steen is a factor too but it looks like he's babysitting the third line. I got burnt BAD with Macdonald and Perron last year.. but apparently they're moving everybody back to natural positions. Backes back to the wing which might bring back his 30 goal touch.. same with Boyes if Macdonald is setting him up from centre.

I always get sucked in with this team caz I like the talent.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:51 pm 
Working for the Weekend

here's a super sleeper , I dont much stock into this despite being my own theory/idea/pick

But Peter Shaeffer. He's all but made the team , they just sent Tamby on waivers clearing up another roster spot.

Here's what has to happen for Shaeffer to make a fantasy impact and its actually realistic hence this idea

1)Torres has to suck in the top 6 , 2)Raymond and Kesler have to struggle or even the Sedins.. but most likely Raymond and Kesler . AV will move Samuelsson back with Kesler to jump start them knowing the Sedins are money with most. Well , Shaeffer actually suits the Sedins more than Burrows , Shaeffer's stength is his play along the boards and his cycling , now if he can match Burrow's worth ethic and net aggression , Shaeffer could fit with them better caz Shaeffer has more natural skills and abilities. Shaeffer is clearly motivated to get back.

All that said.. this is a long shot sleeper , there's many more "sleepers" I would take ahead of him. A couple major things have to happen for Shaeffer to get a shot with the Sedins. You can do a lot worse than Shaeffer as a sleeper , dont waste a pick on Savard or Avery.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:53 pm 
Working for the Weekend

here are my top sleepers and bunk busts.

sleepers
Blake Comeau - with all the injuries Comeau might/will get a shot with Tavares on the top line.

Erick Christensen - not the most prolific scorer but he's Rangers no.1 centre between Gaborik and Frolov. Poorman's Steve Rucchin or even Brendan Morrison. Considering he's in most poolie's garbage bins.. dont ignore no.1 centre late in a pool.

Stephen Weiss - I thnk this guy will benefit from two talented wingers whom can score 30 goals each.. Weiss will rack up some assist this season. I think 70 points is possible. Booth's health is the key.

Devin Setoguchi - had a huge let down season and is back with Thornton , he could bounce back to 30 goal prominance.

Zherdev - - previously mentioned not only might he get top 6 minutes , he might get top line duties.

Matt Belesky - Ducks are trying to develope Bobby Ryan as a centre and want RYan to boost the second line. So Belesky gets to ride shotgun with Getzlaf and Perry... he wont get PP1 time but freeloading is still a valuable asset in hockey pools.

Bryan Bickell - youre rolling the dice on chemistry but if he clicks on the no.1 line with Toews and Kane , you can draft Chris Drury whom is an aging third liner now or take a unknown 1st liner.

ANdy Greene - I dont know , Im 4000 miles away from New Jersey but I just look at that PP with Kovalchuk at the point , Parise , Zajac , either Arnott or Elias .. Greene just has to stand there and not look stupid. Depends on what you expected.. I expect 40 cheap points.

Kevin Bieksa -everybody including Canucks fans wrote him off. He's top 4 , the only right hand shot , and the coach wants to impregnate his face. If you had Bieksa down for junk.. when healthy he's a proven 40+ point guy.

My theory is if you can draft 1st line free loaders (talented linemates) late , they make better late round choices than third liners whether its a veteran like Chris Drury , redemption guys like Pierre Marc Boucahrd, or projects like Cody HOgdson/Michael Backlund/Cogliano.

BUST:

Jussi Jokinen - somebody will bite too early. From what I understaned he's 2nd/third Centre now with crappy linemates.
Tavares - crazy talent but cant ignore the loss of Streit and Okposo. Huge blow to his PP numbers.
Hemsky - They added many more chefs to their broth. Not the stand alone goto guy anymore. Never really fulfilled his potential anyways.
Krecji - His linemates are overrated scorers.. can Krecji get 50 assist with Horton and Lucic? and can Krecji score 20 goals with those two? ... I dont know ,but somebody will draft him as a Savard clone.

Tobias Enstrom - he had 50 points last year but losing KOvalchuk will cripple those numbers. Back down to earth with the rest of the middle tier pointmen(30-35 point range).