OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 10:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:45 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

First day of season ticket sales - 6,000 sold. Not a bad first day for a new/moved team.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:43 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

https://twitter.com/millerjryan/status/ ... _&ref_url=

Okay, here are the list of potential names that have been registered so far:

Utah Mammoth
Utah Ice
Utah Yetis
Utah Venom
Utah Fury
Utah Blizzard
Utah Outlaws
Utah Hockey Club (or Utah HC)

A very underwhelming list. Outlaws and Mammoth are LITERALLY names of our two professional Lacrosse teams in Denver (Fun Fact: the Mammoth won their most recent championship the same year the Avs and Pioneers won theirs, 2022). And the Mammoth and Avs are both owned by the same guy, so I can't imagine that would go over well.

Kids were out greeting the players on the tarmac today, they were chanting "Utah Yetis!" which I agree is the best name on that list. The rest of them are either ripoffs of more successful franchises or plain amateur hour, especially "Venom."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:36 pm 

HC- if they seriously go that bland, they should just wear "vanilla" practice jerseys for games.
Mammoth- sounds like a bunch of old relics on the ice. Isles should change their name to it.
Outlaws- sounds very minor league.
Venom- co-market with Marvel? No thanks.
Fury- so when they lose did they have anger management? Also very minor league.
Ice- Budweiser has done that. Lame.
Blizzard- a bit too much like Avalanche. Okay, a lot too much.
Yetis- co-marketing with a cup company could work for beer sales.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 10:58 am 
Big in Japan

The Utah Utes have 43M in cap space, and that's not including Weber's potential LTIR hit if they want to use it.

Ryan Smith and Bill Armstrong could completely upend free agency season if they want. Sign Stamkos, Reinhart, Montour, Skjei and just go crazy.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 12:29 pm 

E.L. wrote:
The Utah Utes have 43M in cap space, and that's not including Weber's potential LTIR hit if they want to use it.

Ryan Smith and Bill Armstrong could completely upend free agency season if they want. Sign Stamkos, Reinhart, Montour, Skjei and just go crazy.

Utes would only work if they used shots of Joe Pesce in My Cousin Vinny.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 3:22 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
E.L. wrote:

Utes would only work if they used shots of Joe Pesce in My Cousin Vinny.

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 12:48 pm 

I still think it's hilarious that three of the proposed names are either direct or indirect ripoffs of Colorado-based teams. I already mentioned the Mammoth and Outlaws, but really, the Yeti thing was also part of the whole Avs identity, though far less so these days. Up until 2014 or so they had a Yeti footprint as their secondary logo on the shoulder, and their first mascot was a Yeti named Howler. Can't remember why they retired him and replaced him with a St. Bernard, there's a story there regarding the guy who wore the costume and he got in trouble or something IIRC. Ironically, the now-deactivated (deactivated...fuck off Meruelo) Coyotes had a mascot who was a coyote and his name was...Howler.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 9:24 pm 
Big in Japan

Vote for the team name! https://nhlinutah.com/

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 9:21 am 

E.L. wrote:
Vote for the team name! https://nhlinutah.com/

If they go with just plain old HC, they'll get a big boost in sales from all the Utah hardcore punks. All 1000 of them...

I wanted to vote. Seems just like a data collection tool. F that.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 4:45 pm 

Chris18 wrote:

I mean, that's literally the company that built Ryan Smith's fortune. Not surprised he's putting it to work.

I "voted" for Squall, Black Diamonds, and Yetis, but I can't remember what the fourth one was. I actually really like the idea or either Squall or Black Diamonds.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 8:32 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

I mean, that's literally the company that built Ryan Smith's fortune. Not surprised he's putting it to work.

I "voted" for Squall, Black Diamonds, and Yetis, but I can't remember what the fourth one was. I actually really like the idea or either Squall or Black Diamonds.

As you'd said, they are all very Avalanche adjacent.

I have no idea who Ryan Smith is. I was thinking Ryan Smyth, so even their owner sounds like a former Avs player. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 11:48 am 

From the Moromon Tabernacle Choir, how about the Tabernacers. It's original and hopefully nobody reminds them of what it means in Quebec. ;)