OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 4:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2024 Women's Worlds
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:01 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

https://www.iihf.com/en/events/2024/ww

Figured I'd wait until the quarter finals to bother posting anything, since the opening round is pretty much the same thing every time. Only noteworthy story was the US beating Canada 1-0 in OT. I had forgotten it was a short OT, thinking it was like NHL OT with a full ice cut between periods, went to walk my dogs and came back inside for the player of the game ceremony, instead of them getting ready to start OT. :fffffuck:

Quarters
Finland vs Switzerland
Czecks vs Germany
Canada vs Sweden
US vs Japan

Post subject: Re: 2024 Women's Worlds
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:02 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

They did those "rivalry series" so many times now, especially after the CWHL collapsed, that I just can't really tell anymore if this tournament is the real deal or just an exhibition. I just can't get excited about these the way I used to.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:17 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
They did those "rivalry series" so many times now, especially after the CWHL collapsed, that I just can't really tell anymore if this tournament is the real deal or just an exhibition. I just can't get excited about these the way I used to.

I feel the rivalry is somewhat deadened now because the players are so well mixed on the PWHL teams. The first few games of this year's rivalry series were nasty, physical games. After the PWHL had started up, the games were very friendly, slower paced. You could see US players joking around with Canadian players during games. That hadn't really happened before.

Maybe with this being the Worlds it will be more bitterly contested? Yesterday's game was good, but not great for a US-Canada game.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:52 am 

No surprising results from the quarters.

US 10 - Japan 0
Finland 3 - Switzerland 1
Canada 5 - Sweden 1
Czechs- 1 - Germany 0

Semi-Finals will be played on 4/13.
US vs Finland The Finns gave the US the most trouble besides Canada, so this could be an upset. US won 5-3 in the opening round.
Canada vs Czechs Canada won this matchup 5-0 in the opening round, so they're as good as on to the Finals.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:34 am 

Imagine this- US vs Canada for the Gold!

I'll miss the game. :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:00 am 

Canada takes the gold, 6-5, after a PP OT goal. I missed the game.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:01 am 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Hell of a game.

Everytime I heard the “U-S-A” chants, I was expecting “U-TI-CA” but that is likely only me. There’s something distinctive about the way they chant the U in that building.

Have heard it way too many times. Fun barn, incredibly intimidating to play in as a visitor.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:05 am 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Chris18 wrote:

Too many players penalty for USA and it was dumb. Canada went all in on a chance, had all 3 buried deep in zone and USA had one skater back in the NZ going for a change and when US passed it up looking for the breakaway… there were two of them at the bench and they tried to relay pass it up for a 2 on 0!

I think the one went off and two jumped on rather than the one staying on after the new player had already jumped on. Neither had any awareness about the other.

US should have won it on a breakaway there.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:19 am 

scratchham wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Too many players penalty for USA and it was dumb. Canada went all in on a chance, had all 3 buried deep in zone and USA had one skater back in the NZ going for a change and when US passed it up looking for the breakaway… there were two of them at the bench and they tried to relay pass it up for a 2 on 0!

I think the one went off and two jumped on rather than the one staying on after the new player had already jumped on. Neither had any awareness about the other.

US should have won it on a breakaway there.

Thanks. I was at tryouts for my Miss18.2.