OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2023 PHF Playoffs
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:02 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Strange set up, with 4 of 7 teams making the playoffs (that's cool- make the regular season important), but the opening round is a best of 3 series (cool) and then the final is a single game. Whyyyyyyy? Seems backwards to me.

Anyway, the 4th place Minnesota Whitecaps took out the 2x defending champions, 1st place Boston Pride in 2 games.
The 2nd place Toronto 6 won Game 2 in OT to tie their series with the 3rd place Ct Whale, with game 3 tonight at 6 pm on ESPN+. Glad the games are on TV now.

Final is on the 26th.

Post subject: Re: 2023 PHF Playoffs
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:28 pm 

Toronto takes game 3, 3-0. Whale hit the post a few times but Toronto's goalie was great.

Toronto vs Minnesota in the single game Isobel Cup Final on Sunday at Mullet Arena.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:53 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I wish I could get pumped for this but I can't. I don't know any of the names (partially my own fault) while the names I DO know are continually touring the country and staging completely meaningless exhibition matches.

I get why things are as they presently are but...ugh.

On a side note, I want to like the name "Toronto Six" but I can't.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:04 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
I wish I could get pumped for this but I can't. I don't know any of the names (partially my own fault) while the names I DO know are continually touring the country and staging completely meaningless exhibition matches.

I get why things are as they presently are but...ugh.

On a side note, I want to like the name "Toronto Six" but I can't.

Fully agreed.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:34 am 

Toronto 6 win the Isobel Cup, in OT. I'm sure there are real reasons behind this, but I find a single game Final to be just stupid. 3 game series to get there and then one bad play can cost you a championship? Not cool.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:59 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Chris18 wrote:
Toronto 6 win the Isobel Cup, in OT. I'm sure there are real reasons behind this, but I find a single game Final to be just stupid. 3 game series to get there and then one bad play can cost you a championship? Not cool.

Well, it did work insofar that it gave a lot of hype and exposure to the game by giving it Super Bowl-like importance, which a series of even three games would not have done.

I'd also argue fluke results happen in playoffs regardless. Just look at the Whitecaps. Not trying to take anything away from them but they were obviously not the top seed going into it.