OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:33 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

https://theathletic.com/3243425/2022/04 ... ed_article

Making my way through the article now, but this is obviously not good news.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:30 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Well that's not good. I was hoping something good would come out of this.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:24 pm 

So, for those of you who don't have a subscription (great work by Salvian BTW), the PWHPA has some lingering questions that ultimately did not get answered by the PHF. Notably, their continued partnership with a Russian-based business that the NHL and other partners have temporarily cut ties with in light of Russia's current invasion of Ukraine. There was also some questions about the fact that the PHF is securing more funding with the promise to raise salaries, but there's no incentive (like a salary floor) for teams to do so.

I'll admit there are some strange goings-on with the PHF, like why the PHFPA parted ways with Executive Director Alex Sinatra, who was hired amidst great fanfare, after only three weeks. Sinatra noted the firing came as a complete shock and without warning. Also seems strange that Tyler Tumminia, who replaced embattled NWHL/PHF Commissioner Dani Rylan, has recently announced that she is stepping down.

Personally, I find the PHF's dalliance with B*rst**l to be very, very problematic, especially since it wound up like it always does, with their members and staunch toxic male supporters harrassing the living hell out of anyone who questions them. Also led to the bullying of black player Saroya Tinker. Tinker's old boss, Anya Packer of the Metropolitan Riveters, has tried to defend the partnership while also half-assedly apologizing for the havoc they wrought. Tumminia also let out a really weak-ass statement that did nothing to really condemn what had gone down. I'm glad the PWHPA looked at that and said "Nah." The fact the Rivs came out with a "Black History Month" version of their jersey that featured their Rosie the Riveter mascot colored black not only seemed to be in poor taste, but completely hypocritical. FTR Tinker currently plays for the Toronto Six.

Unfortunately, this means there will continue to be a very wide schism in women's hockey, with the best and most well-known players continuing to do exhibition matches that--gotta be honest--I don't care for on one side, and the lone professional women's hockey league, warts and all, on the other.

At least now it appears whatever hope there was for reconciliation is now done, and the two sides can continue forward, do or die.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:45 am 

The b*r$t**l affiliation bothers me too. I never understood it from either side. Why would BS want to affiliate with a league their readers clearly would have a problem with? Why would the league want to bring that sort of energy to their league social media accounts? Just weird.

I didn't know Tumminia was stepping down. I'm behind on league news since the season ended.

I wish the PWPHA would get a real league going. The NHL really needs to get directly involved. They keep saying anyone can play... So back it up and stop just saying it on social media posts.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:52 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
The b*r$t**l affiliation bothers me too. I never understood it from either side. Why would BS want to affiliate with a league their readers clearly would have a problem with? Why would the league want to bring that sort of energy to their league social media accounts? Just weird.

I didn't know Tumminia was stepping down. I'm behind on league news since the season ended.

I wish the PWPHA would get a real league going. The NHL really needs to get directly involved. They keep saying anyone can play... So back it up and stop just saying it on social media posts.

Unfortunately it's a bit of a Catch-22 situation. The PWHPA could probably get their own league going with the backing of the NHL, but the NHL refuses to lift a finger until the impasse between the PA and the PHF is finally resolved. Personally I think they're just using that as an excuse, they could end this TOMORROW if they really wanted to. But they don't want to because, IMO, they aren't terribly interested in creating a "WNHL" or whatever it ends up being called.

As far as Bumstahl goes, one thing that's always bothered me about the feminist movement is that a vast majority of white women see themselves as white first, women second.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:30 pm 

Yeah, previously the NHL claimed they wouldn't get involved as long as it was the NWHL vs the CWHL. When the CWHL folded everyone looked at them like "Well, now it's time to pony up!" and the NHL was like "whoa dude, it's 5 PM somewhere. Time to quit for the day!"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:36 pm 

Oh boy, it's worse than I imagined.

Turns out the Riveters were taken over by someone named Digit Murphy (WTF name is that) and Chris Botta came out with a pretty inflammatory tweet saying he warned people about her. I was curious as to why, turns out she has a pretty public history of transphobia, which is what prompted Riveters' GM Anya Packer to step down. Packer, of course, is married to Madison Packer, whom I believe transitioned as a youth, apologies if I got that wrong.

And it's not stopping there, a few other staffers, including their PR exec, have also jumped ship.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:22 pm 

https://twitter.com/_MelissaBurgess/sta ... bO3ocfT2Lw

Quote:
So:

1. Digit Murphy reportedly President of the Riveters.
2. Anya Packer stepped down as GM.
3. As a result of 1+2, the team's entire stats staff left.
4. PR person leaves 'due to fundamentally different priorities w/ new leadership.'

I hear more departures coming, too. #PHF

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:23 pm 

On a side note, should we change this forum name to "Women's Hockey" since it appears we ain't gettin' a unified league anytime soon?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:08 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
On a side note, should we change this forum name to "Women's Hockey" since it appears we ain't gettin' a unified league anytime soon?

Probably and I can do that now!!!

And if this is the way they're going, maybe less promotion of the PHF is a good idea.

But btw, Digit is a nickname that she's had for decades. Real name is Margaret. Kind of like Toe wasn't Toe Blake's real name (had to Google that to be sure :lol: ). She was Captain of Cornell's women's team in the early 80s. Coached Brown's women's team, Toronto Six, etc. Quite a hockey history.