OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New name/logo
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:35 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

The NWHL is becoming the Premier Hockey Federation (PHF). Keeping the star theme from the NWHL logo, arranging the stars to look like a crown or tiara.

Post subject: Re: New name/logo
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:00 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Not bad, and I can see why they wanted the "W" outta there.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:27 pm 

Big news- $25 million investment to change the PHF landscape.

Rumors of expanding to Montreal too.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:35 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
Big news- $25 million investment to change the PHF landscape.

Rumors of expanding to Montreal too.

This includes more than doubling each team's salary cap. Also adding a 2nd expansion team. Detroit? Would give the Minnesota White Caps a rival.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article/premier-hockey-federation-increase-salary-cap-add-two-expansion-teams/

Maybe the increased pay and 2 more teams will lure back the likes of Hillary Knight. I hope so.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:25 am 

There may be another thread similar to this. The NHL has asked the PHF & PWHPA to meet with them in an attempt to merge the rival women's leagues, with the NHL being affiliated. Hopefully this works out!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:41 am 
Big in Japan

Chris18 wrote:
There may be another thread similar to this. The NHL has asked the PHF & PWHPA to meet with them in an attempt to merge the rival women's leagues, with the NHL being affiliated. Hopefully this works out!

Me too. It's criminal Montreal hockey fans can't see Marie-Philip Poulin play every weekend in their city.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:34 pm 

Somehow I doubt this will lead anywhere. I feel like we've seen this before.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:50 pm 

I think the CWHL having to fold and lots of Canadian women not having a team to play on gives a boost to it being more likely to happen. The women's Olympic games had decent ratings for the times of day that they were played. There's lots of interest in girls'/women's hockey. Nobody wants to miss out on the marketing potential. Would the NHL turn a profit? Probably not for a long time. But when you see that these women have regular full time jobs, pay for all their own gear, skate sharpening, etc... It's ridiculous when you compare it to minor league men's hockey. The NHL keeps touting this "hockey is for everyone" line. Put your money where your mouth is and give the women some real funding.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:29 am 

Went to the Whale - Six game on Saturday. The Six won it in OT off a "just put it on net" pass/shot/prayer that deflected off a Whale player into her own net. That gave the Six a 2 point lead in the standings for 1st place. The Whale were obviously pissed because they stormed back on Sunday for a 5-0 win, getting three points for the regulation victory and finishing in first place, just one ahead of the Six. Both of them will get byes for the first round of the playoffs.

The Boston Pride (3rd) will play the Buffalo Beauts (6th). The Beauts beat the Pride 2-1 and 3-2 in the last games of the regular season for each team.
The Metropolitan Riveters (4th) will play the Minnesota Whitecaps (5th). They traded wins in their last 2 games of the regular season.

The Whale will take on the lowest remaining team in the second round, with the Six getting the highest remaining team.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:48 am 

Finals tonight on ESPN+ and ESPN2, so more people can watch it.

Ct Whale Vs Boston Pride. 9 PM eastern.

Go Whale!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:36 am 

The Pride with a comeback win, scoring 2 rebound goals in 17 seconds early in the third period to swing it from a 2-1 deficit to a 3-2 lead. They added an empty netter to insure the win. They repeat, and likely would have had a three-peat if the 2020 playoffs hadn't been canceled.

The Whale had a hell of a season and it's a bummer for them to lose their first trip to the Finals, but they look like they'll be back. They hit the crossbar 3-4 times, but couldn't capitalize on a 5 minute major PP. That was a huge momentum swing in the game.

I don't like each "round" being only one game, but I get the pay scale requires it. Hopefully the influx of money they're getting boosts the playoffs to at least a best of 3 series for each round.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:02 pm 

Hopefully this is the final season where the PHF and PWHPA are playing separate from each other.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:06 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Hopefully this is the final season where the PHF and PWHPA are playing separate from each other.

Agreed. I'd like to see one big league, with a legit NHL affiliation.

One big thing from last night- it was GREAT to see the game on ESPN2 but the filming, holy shit. It was terrible. I don't think the camera person had ever watched a game in their life. They kept panning out of the zone when a pass would be stopped at the point, and other things like that. Also with the score "crawl" at the bottom of the screen, you couldn't see anything for like 10' from the close side boards. And it was filmed from probably right above the glass. Poor planning.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:25 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
One big thing from last night- it was GREAT to see the game on ESPN2 but the filming, holy shit. It was terrible. I don't think the camera person had ever watched a game in their life. They kept panning out of the zone when a pass would be stopped at the point, and other things like that. Also with the score "crawl" at the bottom of the screen, you couldn't see anything for like 10' from the close side boards. And it was filmed from probably right above the glass. Poor planning.

I wonder if it was even a legit ESPN crew or they just took whatever feed the PHF pays for (Twitch or whatever) and put it on their channel. Pretty lazy if true.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:14 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

I wonder if it was even a legit ESPN crew or they just took whatever feed the PHF pays for (Twitch or whatever) and put it on their channel. Pretty lazy if true.

I don't remember who was on the broadcast, because I've never seen them before. The PHF took their Twitch feed behind a paywall this year, and I was going to miss enough games that I didn't pay for it, so this (and the game we went to) was the only one I've watched all year. Last year it was free on Twitch, so I watched a bunch. Next year I'll subscribe. They had some games on ESPN+ (which I don't have).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:38 am 

Did you blink? You must have because the PHF has a new commissioner. https://www.premierhockeyfederation.com ... mmissioner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:20 pm 

Might be unfair but I'm always wary of women named "Reagan" because I just know their parents named their kid that because of Ronald.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:48 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Might be unfair but I'm always wary of women named "Reagan" because I just know their parents named their kid that because of Ronald.

She was born in 78, so it's not from his presidency, if she's named after him. Maybe they were big Bedtime for Bonzo fans. iiam: