OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2021 Season
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:34 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

The NWHL sent out a letter saying the season will start in January 2021, but a full 20 game regular season will take place, ending in March. Wonder if they'll have 3 game weekends like the AHL.
They'll have optional practices starting in Sept, and they've got their own MDs they've retained for advice moving forward, and are working with their PA. Looking really well done.

Post subject: Re: 2021 Season
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:40 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

No idea what to make of the NWHL/PWHPA dispute at present. Right now the best players in women's hockey aren't playing, but I don't think them just sitting out is solving anything either. If both sides are just waiting for Bettman and the NHL to intervene, they'll be waiting a very long time.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:45 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
No idea what to make of the NWHL/PWHPA dispute at present. Right now the best players in women's hockey aren't playing, but I don't think them just sitting out is solving anything either. If both sides are just waiting for Bettman and the NHL to intervene, they'll be waiting a very long time.

Agreed. Especially now with all that's going on. The NHL is probably not looking for any sort of outreach programs or any sort of expansion now.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:47 pm 

Announcement that the entire season will be a round-robin tournament played in Lake Placid: https://www.nwhl.zone/news/nwhl-announc ... l-cup-play

Pretty cool about the full pay. Bummed we won't get to go to games though. I was looking forward to seeing some games, but that was also just a "hope" that we'd be able to. Like I hope I win the lottery too...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:04 pm 
Big in Japan

I can think of worse places to be bubbled than Lake Placid in the winter...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:09 pm 

E.L. wrote:
I can think of worse places to be bubbled than Lake Placid in the winter...

Being on the Miracle on Ice rink is pretty awesome, even if none of them were born at the time it happened. The museum there is really cool.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:59 am 

The semi-finals and finals will be on NBCSN.

https://www.nwhl.zone/news/nwhl-isobel- ... 4Tpm_WRuD0

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:03 am 

The puck drops today at 1 PM Eastern.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:22 am 

Several members of the Metroplitan Riveters have tested positive, so yesterday's games were moved to Saturday and the Riveters have dropped out of the 2021 season. That sucks for everyone involved.

https://www.nwhl.zone/news/metropolitan ... whl-season

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:54 pm 

This mess between Barstool and the NWHL just makes me think that women's hockey is fucking doomed. Wish I could say the same about Barstool.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:22 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
This mess between Barstool and the NWHL just makes me think that women's hockey is fucking doomed. Wish I could say the same about Barstool.

Yep. Barstool should be called BadStool. Or Bloody Stool.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:09 am 

The Whale forfeited their last "regular season" game yesterday and withdrew from the season. No explanation given yet, but the obvious assumption is covid. That's really bad, because they played Toronto the night before. People are ranting about the league doing a bad job with quarantines, but this league is run on a shoe string budget. They arrived at the "bubble" a day or two prior to beginning games, after all working regular jobs. They all had to take time off from those regular jobs just to play. Sure, some can work from home, but not all. Apparently some of them were working from their hotel rooms up in Lake Placid.

Maybe they needed better testing, etc, but the reduction of 6 to 4 teams for playoffs was supposed to be from quality play, not a virus. The Riveters and Whale were in higher seed positions when they dropped out. Bummer.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:24 pm 

I read the news that there were a ton of people watching the tournament on Twitch (which is great, even though I really, really hated Twitch the short time I was on there). So that's good news.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:56 pm 

Welp...

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article ... -covid-19/

NWHL suspends season on eve of playoffs due to COVID-19

And on "Women in Sports Day" no less.

This is horrible news. The NWHL was about to get the showcase of their dreams--prime time coverage on NBCSN with John Forslund and AJ Mleczko calling it. And they can't do this again because NBCSN is gone at the end of this year.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:30 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Welp...

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article ... -covid-19/

NWHL suspends season on eve of playoffs due to COVID-19

And on "Women in Sports Day" no less.

This is horrible news. The NWHL was about to get the showcase of their dreams--prime time coverage on NBCSN with John Forslund and AJ Mleczko calling it. And they can't do this again because NBCSN is gone at the end of this year.

I thought I had posted this news earlier. Weird. But yeah, huge bummer and very ironic timing.

I watched most of the games via Twitch. A little annoying, but if it's that or not see them, I'll take Twitch.

AJ Mleczko does Isles games. She's awesome. For her sake, I hope she gets picked up by a national broadcast network, but selfishly I hope she keeps doing Isles games.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:15 pm 
OTP Clown

This woman was coaching my son's team for a while this fall.

Which is funny given her name...
https://beauts.nwhl.zone/stats#/player/632861/bio

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:57 pm 

Stinky wrote:
This woman was coaching my son's team for a while this fall.

Which is funny given her name...
https://beauts.nwhl.zone/stats#/player/632861/bio

That's awesome. We're hoping to get more involved with either the Whale or Riveters next season.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:35 am 

Not only are the Isobel Cup playoffs returning after a pause, they're going to be on NBCSN with an all female broadcast team. Should be great!

https://www.nwhl.zone/news/isobel-cup-t ... dcast-team

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:37 am 

Hopefully the Finals are closer than the semi-finals. 6-2 Boston over Toronto and 7-0 Minnesota over CT. CT thought they had an early tying goal but video review showed it didn't fully cross the line. Bummer.

Finals tonight, 7 PM eastern. Boston vs Minnesota. Sounds like 1980 USA Hockey tryouts...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:49 am 

The Boston Pride take home the Isobel Cup.