OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:15 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Pokecheque wrote:
On paper that's not a terrible lineup, also not great, but I'm not about to prognosticate their chances.

Bahhh. They're a second year team. They'll be terrible!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:16 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Chris18 wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:
On paper that's not a terrible lineup, also not great, but I'm not about to prognosticate their chances.
Tonnes of expectation, no rallying cry and an aging netminder who's come back to planet earth. Every team will be gunning for them out of the gates. Bubble team at best.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:26 pm 

Logical Progression wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:
Tonnes of expectation, no rallying cry and an aging netminder who's come back to planet earth. Every team will be gunning for them out of the gates. Bubble team at best.

Yeah, but I was just joking about how everyone said they'd finish 31st last year.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:32 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
Logical Progression wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:
Yeah, but I was just joking about how everyone said they'd finish 31st last year.
I know. I know. There, I said it...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:49 pm 
Big in Japan

Knights going to Arby's with Wild Bill Karlsson. This might be the one instance where an outside perspective might prove helpful: Karlsson had an unprecedented season, and while a slide back from 40 goals is inevitable, he's probably never going back to 20-point levels.

Even if the Knights lose, I think they'll happily pay him 5-6M. Good chance he remains at least a solid centre and he's their first true superstar outside of the goalie.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:37 pm 
OTP Clown

E.L. wrote:
Knights going to Arby's with Wild Bill Karlsson.

https://youtu.be/yRAclTXuQCI
Only for two ninety nine!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:03 am 
Big in Japan

Wild Bill settles for $5.25M.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:05 pm 
Big in Japan

Shea Theodore got PAID: 7 years, 5.2M AAV.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:34 pm 
Big in Japan

Winners of 6 straight, they're no one-hit wonder. Max and Paul are finally healthy.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:09 pm 
Big in Japan

Vegas goes all-in for a second season, moving top prospect Brannstrom for Mark Stone. Stone also got an extension: 8 years/9.5M AAV with a full NMC.

This team is going to live and die with their nucleus: Stone, Pacioretty, Stastny, Marchessault, Reilly, Tuch, Theodore, Schmidt, Miller, McNabb, Fleury. Wonder where Wild Bill fits in all of this?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:35 am 

E.L. wrote:
Vegas goes all-in for a second season, moving top prospect Brannstrom for Mark Stone. Stone also got an extension: 8 years/9.5M AAV with a full NMC.

This team is going to live and die with their nucleus: Stone, Pacioretty, Stastny, Marchessault, Reilly, Tuch, Theodore, Schmidt, Miller, McNabb, Fleury. Wonder where Wild Bill fits in all of this?

Supposedly the Isles were in the Stone trade until the end, offering an 8 year extension but a little less money. Stone went with Vegas. He basically used the extension as leverage to act as a no-trade clause. Have other UFAs done that before, and if not, why not?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:32 am 
Big in Japan

Chris18 wrote:

Supposedly the Isles were in the Stone trade until the end, offering an 8 year extension but a little less money. Stone went with Vegas. He basically used the extension as leverage to act as a no-trade clause. Have other UFAs done that before, and if not, why not?

Because most would rather test the market, I suppose. Pacioretty and Stone clearly feel like Vegas is the place to be, and I'm guessing taxes have a bit to do with that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:28 am 

E.L. wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Because most would rather test the market, I suppose. Pacioretty and Stone clearly feel like Vegas is the place to be, and I'm guessing taxes have a bit to do with that.

But it could get them where they want to go before the playoffs, and get them the 8th year. So they could effectively add 1.25 years in the location they want to go to.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:06 pm 
Big in Japan

It's official: Knights vs. Sharks in the first round. They will beat the heck out of each other. I think Vegas has the momentum going into this one.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:40 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

E.L. wrote:
It's official: Knights vs. Sharks in the first round. They will beat the heck out of each other. I think Vegas has the momentum going into this one.

They also have the goaltending, even if Flower isn't ready to go by then.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:02 pm 
Big in Japan

This team looked primed for another run, but suddenly they're out.

They're already at 82M for the cap (includes Clarkson though) and that's before locking up Wild Bill. On a positive note, Karlsson isn't a flash in the pan. It means he'll be expensive, though.

Everyone thinks they'll make a run at EK, but with what cap room? Not much left to deal either, certainly not 11M worth.

A full season of Gusev will be nice.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:01 pm 

Unfortunately Fleury kinda showed why the Penguins ultimately decided to move on, even after three Cup wins. Not that the 3-1 meltdown is all on him, but he played a pretty decent part.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:32 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Unfortunately Fleury kinda showed why the Penguins ultimately decided to move on, even after three Cup wins. Not that the 3-1 meltdown is all on him, but he played a pretty decent part.

Murray didn't fair much better this post-season though. Although I guess Murray is cheaper. Too lazy to look. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:07 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
Murray didn't fair much better this post-season though. Although I guess Murray is cheaper. Too lazy to look. :lol:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he is. It didn't help at all that Fleury pretty much missed the final third of the season injured, then looked shaky when he came back.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:22 pm 

Getting a little tired of the continued talk coming out of Vegas and west coast media types about the bad call and how they were robbed of a Stanley Cup bid. That's hockey and welcome to the NHL.

Yes it was a bad call, the NHL admitted as much and kicked Dan O'Halloran and Eric Furlatt out of the playoffs. Dan O'Halloran retires next season and worked the SCF last season so has a good reputation around the league and there were definite consequences to the play call. But what are you going to do? Go back and replay the entire 3rd period of game 7?

How about the play of Vegas? Go close out the series in game 6 or stop at least one of the 4 PP goals on the ensuing Sharks power play if we are revising history here.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next