OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Expansion Draft thread
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:58 pm 
Big in Japan

We have a date for the protected lists: "NHL will release all 30 teams' protected lists at 10 am ET on Sunday, June 18"

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:14 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

E.L. wrote:
We have a date for the protected lists: "NHL will release all 30 teams' protected lists at 10 am ET on Sunday, June 18"

I still don't like that they'll release the lists to the public. It will create animosity between players and clubs. I know they'd leak anyway but publicizing it like it's a draft lottery is bullshit. I guess the league figured they'd make a show of it and generate some buzz for three days before the expansion draft happens. Then they've got a few days of regular draft buzz, and then a week until UFA Day. So they'll get 2 weeks of publicity out of a time of year when they're not playing games. Hoo. Ray.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:48 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

This is really uncharted territory, an expansion draft for a professional sports league with a hard salary cap in place. We'll likely be seeing some players with some big reps and even bigger salaries left unprotected (unless, of course, they have trade protection). No real names come to mind but surely there will be a couple out there.

So yeah, there's gonna be some hurt feelings, much like when the NFL comes out with their "franchise tagged" players.

I'm also curious as to just how much Vegas's own cap situation factors into this. McPhee ain't gonna take anyone else's dead weight, not without getting something in return, but I wonder just how much he's going to spend that first year. How ambitious will they be? In the cap era, an expansion franchise can climb the ranks pretty fast, presumably.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 9:59 am 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
I'm also curious as to just how much Vegas's own cap situation factors into this. McPhee ain't gonna take anyone else's dead weight, not without getting something in return, but I wonder just how much he's going to spend that first year. How ambitious will they be? In the cap era, an expansion franchise can climb the ranks pretty fast, presumably.

Given what we know about franchise goodwill in the first few years of existence in many cases, the time to spend might be earlier than later. The fruits of the draft and their cheap entry-level contracts aren't going to come into play right away so if you've got the revenue from the early excitement, spend money to get a good team early and build on the success.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 10:51 am 

Bosc wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:

Given what we know about franchise goodwill in the first few years of existence in many cases, the time to spend might be earlier than later. The fruits of the draft and their cheap entry-level contracts aren't going to come into play right away so if you've got the revenue from the early excitement, spend money to get a good team early and build on the success.

Not to mention it may get them some decent assets to move at the trade deadline to help them down the road.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 3:05 pm 

Then again, McPhee should also look at Columbus as a cautionary tale. They had a HUGE fanbase and an impressive inaugural season, and that led them down the path of ruin. Of course, GMGM is a much, much smarter guy than GMDM could ever hope to be but he too has been prone to the occasional bad move.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:09 pm 
Big in Japan

You're picking up 30 players, and maybe more if the rumours are true that teams like Chicago are willing to package players like Kruger and T Van Riemsdyk for cap relief and not losing a real asset.

Because of the way this is set up, there won't be too many prospects available. Veterans with 1-2 years left on their deals are pretty valuable, since they can make you competitive right off the bat and can be dealt for futures.

It also wouldn't shock me if they targeted a couple of long-term deals. Why not? Bobby Ryan laughed at the idea of his 7M AAV getting picked up by Vegas, but to me he's the exact kind of player that could help sell tickets in the earlygoing.

My guess: they pick up a few high-priced players to sell merch, fill out the roster with experienced depth guys and Europe/KHL fliers, give a couple of Marchessault/AHL types the chance to earn a spot. They can gun for .500 in their first season.

There's no reason to go young with the expansion draft, because there just isn't enough out there. Plenty of vets, though. See if you can snag a playoff spot right away.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 7:39 pm 

Not to mention that if they try to go all young they likely wouldn't even meet the salary floor. Do they have to meet the salary floor in their first year? I thought I heard something about them having an exemption from that. But I could be way off. Usually am.

But I agree, they need to pull in at least 2 names that are easily recognizable to sell some merch and seats. There should be some pretty big names available with how many teams are looking for cap relief. Either directly through the draft or a side deal of "we'll trade you this guy for a pick if you promise to not take this guy even though he's available."

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:02 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

https://www.nhl.com/news/washington-gm- ... -289676660

Ovi to the Knights! I know it won't happen but he would sell tickets and help the team reach the cap floor. Ownership is probably drooling over this one in Vegas. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:26 am 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
Then again, McPhee should also look at Columbus as a cautionary tale. They had a HUGE fanbase and an impressive inaugural season, and that led them down the path of ruin. Of course, GMGM is a much, much smarter guy than GMDM could ever hope to be but he too has been prone to the occasional bad move.

Cautionary in that they didn't build on the success of that inaugural season(and yeah, don't let an awful GM stick around so long). They never had a very big budget, either. If McPhee can spend some of that intial money and build assets, then he'll get cheaper, better assets in the draft and can reduce the budget later if need be.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:00 pm 

Important dates- https://sports.yahoo.com/news/nhl-updat ... 30036.html

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:41 pm 
Big in Japan

TSN has an expansion draft simulator. I ended up with Stepan, Ryan, Jarnkrok, Kruger, W. Karlsson, Ennis, Andrighetto, Vatanen, Spurgeon, Petrovic, de Haan, Beaulieu. Pretty good team right there.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:44 pm 

I'm not sure any other franchise history is relevant to Las Vegas. Its probably going to be a very different business model. Sure being the only pro team in town will help with the locals but fans from visiting teams will probably make the trip to Vegas to also catch their teams play in significant numbers. Maybe I'm wrong, but it could be a unique situation.

And their prediction of their business model should be considered when figuring out whether to build to be immediately competitive or for futures.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:04 pm 
Big in Japan

Quote:
@renlavoietva
Marc-André Fleury accepted the Penguins request in February to waive his no move clause for the expansion draft. Only for Las Vegas.

Fleury could help sell some tickets.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:01 am 

This probably shouldn't go in here, but it's going in here. Maybe it's because they're in Vegas, but I can't help thinking the top of the helmet in the logo looks like a reservoir tip.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:45 am 
Big in Japan

Jackets giving LV a 1st rounder and Ryan Murray so they don't lose someone better: http://www.dispatch.com/sports/20170616 ... ung-talent

LV might have a few firsts coming their way.

EDIT: As many as 3 so far, according to reports. And Tobias Enstrom waives his NMC

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:07 pm 
Big in Japan

Protection lists out: https://www.nhl.com/news/protected-list ... -289972722

Lots of quality players available. This is going to be really interesting...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:47 am 

Wednesday's going to be very interesting!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:57 am 
Big in Japan

Cap Friendly has updated their expansion draft simulator. Unleash your inner McPhee: https://www.capfriendly.com/expansion-draft

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:35 pm 

I don't quite get the craziness about Josh Manson but I do get the hype surrounding Sami Vatanen. Bob Murray will have to pay dearly to keep Vegas away from those two. Frankly, unless Cam Fowler has some sort of NMC I'm not aware of it should've been him exposed. Even if one believes Fowler is the better investment, the contract and age alone makes him less palatable to Vegas than Vatanen and Manson.